Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2021 7:37 pm  #111

Re: AltLB Design Thread

sportsfan7 wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

2. I like how the name Masons works as well for Boston's stonemason history...whether or not designers will want to include Freemasonry aspects in it is up to them (Keep in mind, Boston also has a heavy Catholic heritage, where membership in Freemasonry is strictly forbidden)

Yeah, this was why I kept voting against Masons. The name is good in a vacuum, but problematic in such a heavily Catholic city like Boston

Yet the Freemasons' Grand Lodge in Mass, is the Oldest in the US and 3rd Oldest behind only the Lodges in the UK and Ireland.

And the Freemasons themselves had no Ban on Catholics joining them, and the earlier era of Boston anyways would have been more Protestant than Catholic

Last edited by Darknes (8/14/2021 7:46 pm)

8/14/2021 10:39 pm  #112

Gritty wrote:

The Deacons beat our the Robins (which was the more popular of the two in round 1) in the finals 

Noooo, say it ain't so! I was rather proud of my Robins idea, but I ranked Deacons highly as well IIRC. 

Still, I love this first group of names. So, here are some initial design ideas if anyone's interested:
- The Keystones and Blackbirds stand out the strongest to me. I could see the Keystones looking something like my Philly concept here. Meanwhile, I think some combination of the White Sox, Pirates, and a cool bird logo could make New York pop. Plus, as Burmy mentioned too, NYC has a black and yellow theme going.
- The Pros remind me of the Mets, so I was thinking a skyline logo could be cool or a speakeasy styled Brewers' Barrelman type thing.
- Detroit could have the Swingin' Deacon, who wields a crozier like a bat?
- And then for Boston, an old English styled B would work wonders. 

Here's to hoping I'll get more than one name into the final fours this round, though may the best win. I'm impressed by all the ideas out there (and saving ideas for my own fictional OOTP play too)

8/15/2021 12:48 am  #113

Darknes wrote:

sportsfan7 wrote:

Burmy87 wrote:

2. I like how the name Masons works as well for Boston's stonemason history...whether or not designers will want to include Freemasonry aspects in it is up to them (Keep in mind, Boston also has a heavy Catholic heritage, where membership in Freemasonry is strictly forbidden)

Yeah, this was why I kept voting against Masons. The name is good in a vacuum, but problematic in such a heavily Catholic city like Boston

Yet the Freemasons' Grand Lodge in Mass, is the Oldest in the US and 3rd Oldest behind only the Lodges in the UK and Ireland.

And the Freemasons themselves had no Ban on Catholics joining them, and the earlier era of Boston anyways would have been more Protestant than Catholic

Yes, but, generally speaking, Catholics have a negative view of the Freemasons and other similar groups, so Freemason-inspired club in a heavily Catholic city is probably a bad idea.

8/15/2021 10:02 am  #114

Not super feeling Deacons for Detroit because we did the religious theme for the Angels, but I think we'll get some separation in terms of colors and general direction. Super glad that both Keystones and Pros won, I think we'll get some awesome, classic sets for those teams. Blackbirds is cool, Masons is meh to me, but overall a strong start. Looking forward to the rest!

8/15/2021 10:48 am  #115

QCS wrote:

Not super feeling Deacons for Detroit because we did the religious theme for the Angels, but I think we'll get some separation in terms of colors and general direction. Super glad that both Keystones and Pros won, I think we'll get some awesome, classic sets for those teams. Blackbirds is cool, Masons is meh to me, but overall a strong start. Looking forward to the rest!

We did Angels for Detroit... then gave them a good ornament logo, making them back to automotive in my mind.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/15/2021 11:07 am  #116

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

We did Angels for Detroit... then gave them a good ornament logo, making them back to automotive in my mind.

Fair enough, I suppose. I guess I don't really like the way "Deacons" sounds. Personal preference.

8/15/2021 4:32 pm  #117

8/15/2021 5:14 pm  #118

Heads up, KC also has the Marshals.

8/15/2021 9:17 pm  #119

0-5 again, smh. Though some of these nominations are pretty good

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

8/16/2021 10:15 pm  #120

We have some crazy close races for Group B. So close that we need two sudden death runoffs. Enjoy! 

https://forms.gle/Dz9ZfGxeAptutpmc7

Board footera