Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2021 10:03 pm  #1

Unpopular Opinions

Put them all right here! Since no one else is doing one, I'll do it myself.
This website needs some more members who have a story to share like Raysox, so the members that are on CCLSC need to advertise this to people that are showing their alternate histories.

Last edited by Sevsdast (1/26/2021 10:05 pm)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/26/2021 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Unpopular Opinions

(If you don’t know the history, there is a reason this place isn’t striving to be that place.)

Also, what does unpopular opinion have to do with the alt story of others? A lot of those guys focus on design and like to make a challenge for themselves by developing a fiction so they have a prompt to follow. On the other hand, we tend to see a lot of story driven scenarios that let design sit in the passenger seat. There is a reason we were purged. That place is for design and this is for a lot more creative story freedom. The members that separate their design and their stories do not “need” to do anything because there is probably a reason they want them separated. Take it from someone who’s been on one of them since it started and the other for about 9 years now.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (1/26/2021 11:36 pm)

1/26/2021 11:44 pm  #3

I second Scatch, there's a reason alt histories were jettisoned from the mothership. I think CCSLCers who would belong here know where to find us.

1/27/2021 9:27 am  #4

I don't see why that's an "Unpopular Opinion". I'd love for Raysox to come over if he wanted. But he may also not want to do a full-fledged story thread.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

1/27/2021 4:31 pm  #5

I’m sorry for a bad example, but this was supposed to be a thread about sports opinions that are unpopular.

Last edited by Sevsdast (1/27/2021 4:31 pm)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/27/2021 5:56 pm  #6

Sevsdast wrote:

I’m sorry for a bad example, but this was supposed to be a thread about sports opinions that are unpopular.

in that case, I'll start it. The Ottawa senators black and golf jersey is the best one they ever had, with the current ones second.

Also, the Winnipeg jets current home and away are miles ahead of the og jets

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

1/27/2021 6:06 pm  #7

Ottawa’s head from last season is better than the current one right now. The colors of the Senators also need to change to the ones least year. The kachina Coyote is one of if not THE best look in league history because of it’s creativity and how it steps outside of the traditional box.

1/27/2021 8:27 pm  #8

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Sevsdast wrote:

in that case, I'll start it. The Ottawa senators black and golf jersey is the best one they ever had, with the current ones second.

Are we talking the early 2000s alt for Ottawa? I think them using gold would definitely elevate a bland brand and that jersey gives a taste of it, but idk about it being the best. I think their best jersey is their original white and their current darks, but there is so much room for improvement. Wish they brought back the weird red jersey as their reverse retro.

As for Winnipeg, I'd agree with the colors being better, despite them coming from an era where every team needed as much blue as possible. Their jerseys are getting dated, and that age is being exposed with all the great jerseys they have been showing. I think their new reverse retro hurt the look.

Sevsdast wrote:

Ottawa’s head from last season is better than the current one right now. The colors of the Senators also need to change to the ones least year. The kachina Coyote is one of if not THE best look in league history because of it’s creativity and how it steps outside of the traditional box.

I do think that Ottawa could have done better with their new logo, but I prefer it over the previous look. The execution on the previous logo is excellent, but it is complex and gets busy on a jersey. The simplistic approach looks clean on the ice. It might also benefit from not being presented on a plain Reebok template with 0 character.

I would agree with the Kachina if it wasn't so drab. Do I love it? Yes, I am a Coyotes fan that thinks anything is better than their modern era. The fact that I think it could be improved takes it out of that conversation, in my mind. Imo, the absolute best look in league history would have to be New York's white jersey from 1978 to now, Calgary's "retro" home/away, and San Jose's original home/away. 

Honorable mention that I didn't include because I don't think others would feel the same is Buffalo's 2018 Winter Classic, New York's 2018 Winter Classic and Buffalo's 50th anniversary jersey.

1/27/2021 11:05 pm  #9

Sports unpopular opinions:
- I liked it more when the Flames used black.
- I would be 100% fine if the NHL adopted the NBA’s jersey format.
- Expanding on that, I think it would be fine if every North American sports league did the whole “new uniforms every year” thing, a la soccer.
- I don’t like green being dominant in the Mavs’ color scheme. If they must rebrand, go with navy as the primary and green as an accent.
- The Colts’ current uniforms are the best they’ve ever looked.
- I think that the Cowboys shouldn’t go back to the old block font. The current one is fine.
- I don’t care about brand logos on uniforms if it’s simple and small.

1/28/2021 7:33 am  #10

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Sevsdast wrote:

Are we talking the early 2000s alt for Ottawa? I think them using gold would definitely elevate a bland brand and that jersey gives a taste of it, but idk about it being the best. I think their best jersey is their original white and their current darks, but there is so much room for improvement. Wish they brought back the weird red jersey as their reverse retro.

As for Winnipeg, I'd agree with the colors being better, despite them coming from an era where every team needed as much blue as possible. Their jerseys are getting dated, and that age is being exposed with all the great jerseys they have been showing. I think their new reverse retro hurt the look.

Sevsdast wrote:

I do think that Ottawa could have done better with their new logo, but I prefer it over the previous look. The execution on the previous logo is excellent, but it is complex and gets busy on a jersey. The simplistic approach looks clean on the ice. It might also benefit from not being presented on a plain Reebok template with 0 character.

Yah, the early 2000s alternate with the patterned gold stripes. If they used that as the basis for their home and away, and then a funky "swoosh" as an alt, they'd be set.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

Board footera