Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2021 6:03 pm  #301

Re: AltBA Design Thread

Gritty wrote:

I had to chuckle a little bit over the argument surrounding Redwoods. A tree is the least controversial mascot possible. I think everyone is talking about two different things that this point. 

First, Giants are tall and the Redwoods are tall. Their heights have no reason to cancel each other out. It would be like only one hockey team could be named after something 'cold'. Categories have never been a problem with our naming process. If we used that thought process for the NFL, we'd have to talk to the five bird names and four big cat names. 

Second, it is true Paul Bunyan is a Lumberjack and Redwoods are trees. Let's forget that Bunyan was never near a California Redwood. I think at the worst it would make a funny rivalry between Minnesota and San Jose. 

So Redwoods is good to go. 

@Scratch I never even thought about Scarecrows/Crows for Kansas City. But I think it would be funny as well. I can picture you theme the entire KC Sports Complex as a farm and pasture. 

Kansas City Chickens for AltLB! (Joking here)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/08/2021 6:07 pm  #302

Gritty wrote:

I had to chuckle a little bit over the argument surrounding Redwoods. A tree is the least controversial mascot possible. I think everyone is talking about two different things that this point. 

First, Giants are tall and the Redwoods are tall. Their heights have no reason to cancel each other out. It would be like only one hockey team could be named after something 'cold'. Categories have never been a problem with our naming process. If we used that thought process for the NFL, we'd have to talk to the five bird names and four big cat names. 

Second, it is true Paul Bunyan is a Lumberjack and Redwoods are trees. Let's forget that Bunyan was never near a California Redwood. I think at the worst it would make a funny rivalry between Minnesota and San Jose. 

So Redwoods is good to go. 

@Scratch I never even thought about Scarecrows/Crows for Kansas City. But I think it would be funny as well. I can picture you theme the entire KC Sports Complex as a farm and pasture. 

I would echo that it can in fact also create a funny rivalry. In my own fictional baseball league, I have the Boston Whalers and the Vancouver Orcas and I find amusement in brainstorming witty newspaper headlines for when they play against each other, ie. "Whalers return home empty-handed after being overrun by the Orcas 8-2"

1/08/2021 6:07 pm  #303

I'm going to post the link again just so it doesn't get lost because we moved to a new page. 

Here are the Group B Finals! 

https://forms.gle/ur4ZJnWgbFivmqat9

1/08/2021 6:09 pm  #304

I'm guessing we will know the results of the voting tomorrow? 

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/08/2021 6:13 pm  #305

This is one of the disadvantages of a full time job.  You miss the gold that was the Ace Attorney back and forth.... ah well, that was a great read!

I can't even pretend to be disappointed that none of my names made the final 4 this time (not with legendary names like Cherries and Grapes, lmao), considering this group has an insanely awesome collection of names.  New Orleans in particular will be a fun one to see what wins!

1/08/2021 6:14 pm  #306

Stickman wrote:

This is one of the disadvantages of a full time job.  You miss the gold that was the Ace Attorney back and forth.... ah well, that was a great read!

I can't even pretend to be disappointed that none of my names made the final 4 this time (not with legendary names like Cherries and Grapes, lmao), considering this group has an insanely awesome collection of names.  New Orleans in particular will be a fun one to see what wins!

Lean towards vegetables next time? 

1/08/2021 6:26 pm  #307

Gritty wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Yep, that seems like the plan.  Imagine in a baseball universe, teams like the Idaho Potatoes, the Miami Oranges, and of course the San Diego Killer Tomatoes!

1/08/2021 6:34 pm  #308

Stickman wrote:

Gritty wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Yep, that seems like the plan.  Imagine in a baseball universe, teams like the Idaho Potatoes, the Miami Oranges, and of course the San Diego Killer Tomatoes!

...Chicago Onions, Boston Beans, the Omaha Fighting Corn...

1/08/2021 6:44 pm  #309

*Sees Charlotte's Final Four*

*sighs*

Well, whatever. I got two in the finals this time (sort of more) and hopefully both win it all. 

1/09/2021 3:51 pm  #310

Major Post #2!

Vancouver was the closest of all of the polls thus far. Ultimately Caribou beat out Orcas and Kodiaks with 32%. Warbirds was the most popular with over 50% of the vote. Specters was the popular choose early for New Orleans but then Revelers stormed back and won with 46% of the vote! With 50% of the vote the Charlotte Flyers become the third charlotte team with Racers and Reapers. The Devils won with 44% of the vote over Firebirds. Back from the dead are the controversial Los Angeles Olympians. If you all don't remember they were DQ'd from the AltHL after being voted the most popular name in the league. The LA Titans now are matched up with the Olympians. 

2.) Group C Polls

San Jose, California
https://forms.gle/2e1sMsw3K9PLHFfz9

Dallas, Texas
https://forms.gle/pba5qMcGNbfiKw8i9

Kansas City, Missouri
https://forms.gle/39ZLdq6aZbqtYERs7

Baltimore, Maryland
https://forms.gle/qAapxooCsr5tJ92eA

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
https://forms.gle/gWd5RkPdxcUvqznM6

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
https://forms.gle/WarrAN9xuoskEq2s7

3.) Group D Names
I saved these six for the end. These were the most popular cities in the first round. 

Board footera