Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2021 5:32 pm  #251

Re: AltBA Design Thread

Kansas City Knights- just a cool name, no real meaning there
San Jose Lionfish- another name that’s just cool
Dallas Duelers- Texas is typically known for the Wild West
Baltimore Rising Stars- the US national anthem was written near Baltimore, when Francis Scott Key saw the US flag rising after a long night of fighting
Philadelphia Penns- odd name, but the city of Philadelphia was founded by William Penn
Pittsburgh Shockwave- Pittsburgh is a leader of electronics production

Owner of the AltHL's Alaska Auroras, AltLB's Kansas City Colts, AltFL's Kentucky Stallions,  AltCAA's University of Kansas City Cosmos (2001 Legacy Champions)

1/07/2021 5:34 pm  #252

Baltimore - Baltimore Chargers. Baltimore is hit by tons of lightning strikes every year, and it also has the double reference of jousting, the state sport, as two knights charge at each other.
Dallas - Dallas Gunners. This is a reference to the "Come and Take It" flag that flew during the Texas Revolution, which featured a cannon, star, and the words "Come and Take It". This dodges the Wild West theme for Dallas that was already used for the Bandits.
Kansas City - Kansas City Barons. A classic-sounding name, this also features a nod to oil barons that found black gold in the Great Plains. (Featuring the Edgeworth seal of approval!)
Philadelphia - Philadelphia Keystones. The Keystone of the state of Pennsylvania, Philly's support is necessary from its founding to today.
Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Strikers. References the working-class nature of the city, "striking" metal (like steel), and a massive railroad strike that occurred in Pittsburgh that was a massive event for the city.
San Jose - San Jose Shogun. A nod to the large Japanese population of not just San Jose, but the Bay Area altogether.

Last edited by QCS (1/07/2021 6:54 pm)

1/07/2021 5:38 pm  #253

San Jose Saints - The city is named for Saint Joseph, so this name recognizes that.
Kansas City Packers - Packers represents the rich cattle history of the city and it's importance as a cattle transportation hub.
Dallas Vaqueros- Vaqueros is Spanish for Cowboys, and recognizes the large Hispanic population of Dallas.
Baltimore Blue Crabs - Named for the food so popular around the city and Chesapeake Bay area.
Philadelphia Five - Philadelphia is home to five Division I college basketball programs, and recognizes the five players for the team on the court at each time. And a similar Ph to F sound at the beginning.
Pittsburgh Firebirds - If Atlanta doesn't take the Firebirds name, then Pittsburgh should. Known for the steel industry, Pittsburgh evokes imagery of fire and steel in my mind. Firebirds could recognize that history.

Last edited by Megildur (1/07/2021 5:51 pm)

1/07/2021 5:44 pm  #254

Megildur wrote:

San Jose Saints - The city is named for Saint Joseph, so this name recognizes that.
Kansas City Packers - Packers represents the rich cattle history of the city and it's importance as a cattle transportation hub.
Dallas Wings - Like the position of the wings on the court, Wings is a nod to the Pegasus sign that lights up Dallas.
Baltimore Blue Crabs - Named for the food so popular around the city and Chesapeake Bay area.
Philadelphia Keystones - Pennsylvania is known as the Keystone State due to its vital role in early US history and the American Revolution. Philadelphia was the integral part of the Keystone State as the original US capital.
Pittsburgh Firebirds - If Atlanta doesn't take the Firebirds name, then Pittsburgh should. Known for the steel industry, Pittsburgh evokes imagery of fire and steel in my mind. Firebirds could recognize that history.

*I'll edit this as Barons and Keystones were posted as ideas while I was typing this up*

Dallas Wings is the city's WNBA team...

1/07/2021 5:47 pm  #255

Burmy87 wrote:

Megildur wrote:

Dallas Wings - Like the position of the wings on the court, Wings is a nod to the Pegasus sign that lights up Dallas.
Philadelphia Keystones - Pennsylvania is known as the Keystone State due to its vital role in early US history and the American Revolution. Philadelphia was the integral part of the Keystone State as the original US capital.

*I'll edit this as Barons and Keystones were posted as ideas while I was typing this up*

Dallas Wings is the city's WNBA team...

Dang, and here I thought I was so smart for coming up with that! Thanks for catching that

1/07/2021 5:51 pm  #256

San Jose Seals: After all the seals you see near the coast in the Bay Area
Baltimore Crabs: Baltimore and crabs are as inseperable as Pittsburgh and its ironworks
Kansas City Cascades: For the cascading water found in Kansas City's multitude of fountains, as the city is known for its fountains with one of its nicknames being "City of Fountains"
Philadelphia Colonials: Yet another typical American patriotism name, but since both Philly AltTeams have patriotism connections I think it may fit
Dallas Wildcats: Wildcatters worked in the oil industry, and you know Texans and Americans love their oil
Pittsburgh Blazers: Pittsburgh and its iron industry are nearly inseperable, and so they are named after the blazing hot forges of the ironworks

Last edited by DireBear (1/08/2021 12:55 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

1/07/2021 5:53 pm  #257

DireBear wrote:

Philadelphia Quakers: Named after Philly's oldest college, UPenn. Pennsylvania was also created by a land grant given to a group of quakers

The rules say no area college team nicknames, so Quakers is DQ'd (As are Owls, Wildcats, Hawks, Explorers, and Dragons...three of which would've been DQ'd anyway, as they're AltSports names)

1/07/2021 5:57 pm  #258

​Philadelphia Bell Ringers: Does the Liberty Bell ring a bell?
Pittsburgh Triplets: City of the Golden Triangle and the Three Rivers.
San Jose Guitarfish: I dunno. Just thought it would be a unique name.
Dallas Dillers: Slang for Armadillos.
Kansas City Visionaries: KC was Walt Disney's hometown.
Baltimore Lords: Lord Baltimore, right?

Last edited by NeoPrankster (1/07/2021 9:27 pm)

1/07/2021 6:01 pm  #259

San José Silicon: Yeah, it's a blatant silicon valley reference, but it sounds cool and I like alliteration.

Kansas City Riff: As an homage to Kansas City jazz. Obviously, Jazz itself won't work here, but Riff sounds cool too, I think.

Dallas Barons: I was gonna use this for Baltimore, but Burmy beat me to the punch. I'll throw it in for Dallas instead, since QCS helpfully reminded me of oil barons, and we might as well be able to vote Barons for whichever city we choose.

Baltimore Banners: As has been noted, the Battle of Baltimore was the inspiration for our national anthem. I initially wanted to use Rockets (as in red glare), but remembered Houston exists, so I went with the less original but more American option.

Philadelphia Quills: A different take on the colonial theme. It also works well with the city nickname (Philly Quills, anyone?) and serves as a Pen(n) pun.

Pittsburgh Forgers: I don't think I need to tell you why this one makes sense, but I think it's a little bit more interesting than "Steelers." What kind of a name is that, anyway?

1/07/2021 6:06 pm  #260

Philadelphia Mambas: Obvious Kobe reference
Pittsburgh Condiments: Heinz Ketchup https://youtu.be/pgIzBmbI-zQ
San Jose Silicon: Silicon Valley
Kansas City Mules: State animal of Missouri
Dallas Gunslingers
Baltimore Crabs

Also, can you post the owner draft order standings please?

Board footera