Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2020 1:48 am  #1

New College Sport System Idea

I thought of a format for a college sports system, and I wanted to run it by you. First, there are 4 tiers, those are like DI DII, etc., and then in every one of those tiers, there are 8 conferences of 16 teams, which gets you 128 teams per tier, for 512 total teams. For scheduling, let's take football because it's simple. You play each of the 15 other teams in your conference, plus one non-conference rival, for a total of 16 games. Each conference is divided into two divisions, and the two division winners of the divisions make it to that particular conference championship game. Once the championship games are played, each conference winner is placed into the playoff, and they are seeded by a committee, so it's an 8-team playoff. Each individual game is a different bowl game like the IRL CFP. For the losers of the conference championship, they get their own bracket, and the same thing happens. The 3rd and 4th place teams in each conference get the same playoff system. This is uniform across tiers. I haven't quite come up with ideas for how other sports would go, but that's the general thought I had for football. For basketball it would probably be something closer to a selection committee determining a 64 team tournament, and obviously the conference winners get automatic bids, or something like that, but please give me feedback on this idea. Might have promotion and relegation between tiers, but I'm worried that would mess up some rivalries.

12/09/2020 10:08 am  #2

Re: New College Sport System Idea

Currently, there are 130 FBS teams, 127 FCS, 165 DII, and 250 DIII teams. That's 672 teams. So how are you eliminating 160 schools to make it work? Even if you create a 5th tier, that leaves 32 schools out.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/09/2020 1:53 pm  #3

No it's fictional I'm creating fictional schools. 512 of them.

12/09/2020 2:17 pm  #4

GregTheWolf144 wrote:

No it's fictional I'm creating fictional schools. 512 of them.

good luck with that, that's tough work.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/09/2020 4:57 pm  #5

That's.... quite the ambitious project for sure.  Best of luck, I'm interested to see how this plays out!

12/10/2020 1:22 pm  #6

I'm already over half done creating schools

12/13/2020 11:17 am  #7

GregTheWolf144 wrote:

So, that means you made 256 schools in less than a week? I don't want to question your designing abilities, but I think you should check them over and make sure they are really how you want them done so they look as good as they possibly can. Just a suggestion though. 

12/13/2020 11:19 am  #8

ANDY! wrote:

GregTheWolf144 wrote:

So, that means you made 256 schools in less than a week? I don't want to question your designing abilities, but I think you should check them over and make sure they are really how you want them done so they look as good as they possibly can. Just a suggestion though. 

Likely he started this before, and he is announcing this to us now.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/13/2020 11:22 am  #9

Sevsdast wrote:

ANDY! wrote:

GregTheWolf144 wrote:

He may have, and I realized that pretty much right after I typed my last message. I'm just giving my outsider's point of view.

12/14/2020 9:46 am  #10

ANDY! wrote:

Sevsdast wrote:

ANDY! wrote:

He may have, and I realized that pretty much right after I typed my last message. I'm just giving my outsider's point of view.

My concern with having 256 schools ready to go would be the "dump". When a plethora of concepts all get dropped at once with minimal explanation, I see a lot of times where they don't get feedback, and when they get constructive feedback, they have so much content it's hard to go back to change things. Not saying this is what would happen, but when I do see happen often with concept series of a large size.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera