Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2019 2:53 pm  #531

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

With my Superior Lakers out, looks like I'm rooting for Thief River Falls and a Cinderella run from New Ulm or Edina.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/03/2019 3:07 pm  #532

Dan O'Mac wrote:

With my Superior Lakers out, looks like I'm rooting for Thief River Falls and a Cinderella run from New Ulm or Edina.

I'd be happy to make you a Superior sig if you're interested

Last edited by Section30 (12/03/2019 3:40 pm)

12/03/2019 3:30 pm  #533

1963 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round Day 1

Twin Cities Vulcans vs Mankato Moose
The Vulcans showed the south why they earned the top seed, completely outplaying the Moose in a 4-1 win. The Vulcans outshot Mankato 41-15 in a dominant performance.

St. Cloud Bearcats vs Rochester Mustangs
This was a high scoring, back and forth game that saw the hometown Bearcats come out on top by a score of 4-3. The game started off slow, but early in the second the scoring bega to pick up with 3 goals in the opening 5 minutes of the period.

St. Paul Victorias vs Stillwater Volunteers
The V's and Vols met for a rematch of last years opening playoff game. The Volunteers were hungry for that illusive first playoff win for Stillwater, but the Victorias made things more difficult than Stillwater could handle. St. Paul would score twice in the opening period and hold the lead despite a good effort in the third where the Volunteers nearly tied it.

Rochester Robins vs Fergus Falls Cyclones
The game of day one was the 4 overtime marathon between the Robins and Cyclones. The Rochester Mayo Civic Auditorium was packed at the drop of the puck, and was just as full over 3 hours later when the Cyclones stunned the home crowd on a shot from the point that got through the screen and into the back of the net to give Fergus Falls the win.

Roseau Stars vs Crookston Kings
The best team in the league bullied the youngsters from Crookston, allowing only 9 shots against and scoring 5 times in the shutout win.

Grand Forks Jets vs Grand Rapids Moose
The "Battle of Grands" got a rematch of last years second round match up that saw the Jets advance on the road in Grand Rapids. The Moose got their revenge this year though, winning a close one goal game on the road to advance.

Winnipeg Monarchs vs Ely Black Bears
The biggest upset of day one was the small town miners from Ely going into the big city and knocking off one of the best overall teams in the MAHL. The Bears struck first, but the Monarchs answered back in the second to tie it up. Regulation ended 1-1 and we went to overtime. Winnipeg was called for high sticking 7:22 into the period, setting up Ely's powerplay unit. The Black Bears kept the puck down low, passing the puck behind the net until finally the winger stepped up and took a shot from the dot, beating the Monarch goalie blocker side and winning the game.

Warroad Lakers vs Thunder Bay Giants
Warroad struck first, but Thunder Bay tied it late in the first sending us to the second tied at 1. The second was scoreless, but the Lakers scored midway through the third to reclaim the lead, and then again in the empty net to solidify the victory

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!.

12/03/2019 7:41 pm  #534

DARE. TO BEAT. THE FRICKIN'. BEAR!

Not even the biggest arena in the MAHL (with its matching crowds) can stop Ely's resolve...I see 'em making quite a run in this Quest for Six.

PS: SWEET Superior sig (which I'll be rocking on my profile)...could you also do a La Crosse Brewers one for me, please? (when you can)

Last edited by Burmy87 (12/03/2019 9:57 pm)

12/04/2019 4:45 pm  #535

Burmy87 wrote:

DARE. TO BEAT. THE FRICKIN'. BEAR!

Not even the biggest arena in the MAHL (with its matching crowds) can stop Ely's resolve...I see 'em making quite a run in this Quest for Six.

PS: SWEET Superior sig (which I'll be rocking on my profile)...could you also do a La Crosse Brewers one for me, please? (when you can)

Here ya go!

12/04/2019 5:10 pm  #536

1963 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round Day 2

Brainerd Lumberjacks vs West St. Paul Waves
The Jacks came out slow, but slowly picked it up, striking twice in the third. Those two goals would prove to be enough as the Brainerd defense stood strong and shut out the Waves.

Edina Cake Eaters vs Osseo Screaming Eagles
The battle of black and golds turned out to be much closer than anticipated, with the youngsters from Osseo giving Edina a run for their money in this overtime thriller at Normandale Park. The Eagles came back from a 2 goal deficite to force overtime, but the Cake Eaters capitalized on a bad line change by Osseo, leading to the game winning goal on a 3 on 1.

St. Paul Saints vs Alexandria Norsemen
The Saints, looking to show that they are to be feared, came out guns a blazing, up 3-0 after 1. The second went to Alexandria though, bringing the score to 3-2. The Saints would add some insurance in the third on a powerplay, the Saints would hold on and are marching into the second round.

Minneapolis Millers vs New Ulm Bavarians
The Bavarians were looking to make it 3 years of playoff luck, but the Millers aren't the Mustangs. Minneapolis made handy work of the New Ulm attack, keeping them off the scoreboard all game long. The Mighty Millers controlled practically all the time of possession, striking thrice to win 3-0 and advance.

Thief River Falls Railers vs Moorhead Huskies
The Railers and Huskies went back and forth in the first and second, but Thief River eventually took control and lit up the Moorhead goalie, scoring 4 goals in total and advancing convincingly.

Cloquet Broncos vs International Falls Ice
One of the most one sided game of the opening round came at the expense of the Ice. Cloquet out shot International Falls 3 to 1 on their way to a 4-0 blowout win.

Duluth Voyageurs vs Hibbing Greyhounds
A rematch of the 1960 Kellogg Cup Final lived up to the hype as these two evenly matched teams needed extra time to decide a winner. Veteran captain Henry Heaslip was the one to break the tie and send Le Bleus on to the second round on a juicy rebound that he popped in the back of the net.

Virginia Royals vs Two Harbors Wolfpack
UPSET ALERT! The Two Harbors Wolfpack knock off the Iron Range Hockey League Champions, winning their first playoff game in 27 years! The Pack had everything going their way in this one, puck luck was a plenty, even leading to one of their 3 goals in the 3-1 win over the Royals.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

12/04/2019 6:37 pm  #537

This is the first time I've noticed the scarf on the Ice uniforms, and I've gotta say I love it.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/05/2019 2:14 am  #538

Dammit! My Diamonds are out!

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

12/05/2019 4:58 pm  #539

1963 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round

Twin Cities Vulcans vs St. Cloud Bearcats
This one was a flat out blowout as the Vulcans light up the Bearcats 4-0 in front of over 7,000 at Williams Arena on the campus of the University of Minnesota.

St. Paul Victorias vs Fergus Falls Cyclones
The V's and Clones went back and forth all game, with each team scoring in each period. The Victorias just managed to net one extra in the second to send them back to the Super Series.

Brainerd Lumberjacks vs Edina Cake Eaters
The Jacks came out slow and sloppy yet again, this is beginning to be a worry for Brainerd. Edina struck first early in the game, catching the Lumberjack defense sleeping and beating the goalie to get on the board. Brainerd began to wake up in the second and they scored twice ate in the period to take the lead before adding one more in the third to solidify the win.

St. Paul Saints vs Minneapolis Millers
It was a battle between neighbors as the Millers crossed the river to play the Saints at "The Hipp". The Millers broke the deadlock with a pair of goals in the second to take a commanding 2-0 lead after 2. St. Paul was able to claw back into the game, scoring with just under 10 minutes left to give them hope. The Saints completed the comeback with 2:02 left to play on a snipe from Otto Paradise to tie the game and force overtime. The 5,000+ at the St. Paul Hippodrome were ready to erupt, and began to sing the team anthem "When the Saints Go Marching In" until the puck was dropped for overtime. Play began and the Saints had a jump in their step, they won the draw and immediately went on the attack, getting the puck into the offensive zone and firing the puck into the scrum in front for a deflection. The puck found Paradise's stick and deflected into the top corner of the net just 12 seconds into the overtime period to send the Saints to their second Super Series in a row. 

Roseau Stars vs Grand Rapids Moose
If you're a fan of goaltender duels, this is a game for you. Roseau's Timmy Baumgartner (nephew of former Star legend Matt "Boomer" Baumgartner) and Grand Rapids' Frank Klatt each made over 30 saves in this game where someone just had to lose. That team was Grand Rapids, as the top ranked Stars were able to find the back of the net in the second period on a two on one chance that would prove to be the game winner.

Warroad Lakers vs Ely Black Bears
Ely proved the doubters wrong who said Winnipeg was a fluke. Despite losing, the Black Bears proved that they are capable of playing with, and beating some of the best. Forcing overtime in Warroad is no easy task, let alone not allowing a goal against. It just so happened the Lakers defense was just as capable and their potent offense finally broke through and won the game for Warroad.

Thief River Falls Railers vs Cloquet Broncos
Thief River made a point with this win, showing off just how good their defense is by completely shutting down arguably the best scorer in the MAHL, Brady Millen, and also winning comfortably 3-0.

Duluth Voyageurs vs Two Harbors Wolfpack
A Lake Superior League match up between the most successful team in recent years, versus the least successful team from Two Harbors. The Wolfpack look like a different team than years past though, a new wave of guys joined a couple years ago and despite not having any real stars, the Pack may be one of the best units in the MAHL. They proved that teamwork does in fact make the dream work in this one as they shock Le Bleus in double overtime, preventing them from reaching the Super Series for the second year in a row.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (12/06/2019 2:19 pm)

12/05/2019 4:59 pm  #540

1963 Kellogg Cup Super Series; Playoff Tree

Last edited by Section30 (12/06/2019 2:19 pm)

Board footera