Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2019 8:13 pm  #521

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1962/63 Regular Season; Part 2

Iron Range Hockey League
Virginia really took off this year, out skating their opponents and easily winning the Iron Range. Their captain, Louis Nelson, is widely believed to be the fastest skater in the MAHL and has brought some professional scouts to witness him play. Grand Rapids dropped to second but looked very good still, Didi Miller had another great season for the Moose. Ely looks to be on the rise with a couple of young players growing into potential stars in the making, leading the Black Bears to a third place finish. Hibbing remains in the playoffs in fourth, besting their rivals the Flames and Redbirds. On a sad note, the Iron Range Hockey League lost a member midway through the season. The Soudan Miners were forced to fold due to not having enough players on their roster. The Soudan Mine, the economic center of Soudan and Tower closed in 1962, forcing most of the population to find work elsewhere. This led to the Miners not being able to fill the 10 player minimum and close operations. The Miners were the second oldest team in the MAHL, forming in 1899. 

Lake Superior Hockey League
The Lake Superior League was recaptured by Le Bleus, continuing the back and forth with their heated rivals from Cloquet who finished behind Duluth, in second place. Thunder Bay had a surprisingly good season, after finishing in last a season ago. Two Harbors finally broke the 7 year playoff drought, finishing in fourth. The Hornets struggled this season, dropping to fifth. Injuries were the cause of Superiors drastic drop in the standings this year, finishing in last place.

Northland Hockey League
Roseau was far and away the most dominant team in the MAHL this season, finishing with a record of 21-1-2. Rookie sensation, William Soosi led the Northland in goals with 31 in 24 games. Despite finishing in second, Winnipeg was arguably the more feared team. The Monarchs were brutal to opponents, leading the league in hits by a landslide and being very potent on the offensive side of the puck as well. Warroad had a lesser season than last year, but still finished in third and look very deadly still. International Falls claimed the final playoff spot, making back to the post season after missing a season ago. Steinbach had a better year than the last, but just missed the playoffs. Fort Frances had a little drop in the standings, losing one of their better defensemen early in the season. Bemidji, Baudette and Black Duck all struggled for most of the year, and finished in the bottom of the table.

Red River Hockey League
It was a two horse race this year with Thief River and Grand Forks finishing far ahead of the remaining 3. Thief River did have the better of the Jets in the regular season though, leading the season series 4-1-1. Moorhead would claim the third spot with Crookston in fourth. Fargo struggled much more than most had expected prior to the season, losing lots of close games, 8 of them by only 1 goal.

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving! Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

12/01/2019 8:15 pm  #522

12/01/2019 8:19 pm  #523

Knew it was only a matter of time for Soudan when I, a lifelong Minnesotan, had never heard of them.
RIP Miners

12/01/2019 8:52 pm  #524

FC Macbeth wrote:

C'mon, you Diamonds! Up the New Ulm, my boys!

I actually really like this as a possible team slogan or chant in some form for New Ulm.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Roooooollllllllll Rochester?
War (Screaming) Eagle?

Thought it be appropriate given the game yesterday. I’m quickly becoming a bird boy in this league, realizing that 2 of my favorite teams in a division are birds and my second favorite of another division is the Raptors. Also, shoutout to an early love in Fergus Falls! They have come a longggggggg way and I feel more like a proud father than a fan now. Too many good identities to keep them at the top of my list, they unfortunately took a step down when the Pilots really grew on me.

Haha, I always like creating little slogans or chants for teams. I have some in the back of my head that I haven't actually written out yet. For example, the Rochester Mustangs use the "Charge!" chant and the Robins use their team colors of orange and black in a ask and answer style chant where one group yells "Orange!" and the others respond with "Black!" Osseo doesn't have any saying or chant at this point and I'm open to suggestions!

sportsfan7 wrote:

Knew it was only a matter of time for Soudan when I, a lifelong Minnesotan, had never heard of them.
RIP Miners

Welcome! Yeah Sudan was just a small mining town up by Tower that really only had the mine. Once the mine closed the town pretty much disappeared. I highly suggest visiting the mine at some point, it's really interesting, plus they send you half a mile underground!

Last edited by Section30 (12/01/2019 8:56 pm)

12/01/2019 9:35 pm  #525

(Seeing the rankings before reading)

1,2,3,4,5,6 .....space..... 7.  Soudan Miners.

Me (an intellectual): “Yep. Knew it was a matter of time before the Miners did so bad that the league forced everyone to know how bad they were by putting a phantom team before them.”

Maybe they should do that with Detroit this season?

Jokes aside, hopefully the hockey gods let the team in those pearly gates. God knows how long they spent in hockey hell on earth.

12/02/2019 3:37 am  #526

"On a sad note, the Iron Range Hockey League lost a member midway through the season. The Soudan Miners were forced to fold due to not having enough players on their roster. The Soudan Mine, the economic center of Soudan and Tower closed in 1962, forcing most of the population to find work elsewhere. This led to the Miners not being able to fill the 10 player minimum and close operations. The Miners were the second oldest team in the MAHL, forming in 1899."

RIP
Souden Miners
1915 & 1947 Kellog Cup Champions
--------------------
1899-1963
64 Years Old
--------------------
You will never be missed.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

12/02/2019 1:01 pm  #527

FC Macbeth wrote:

"On a sad note, the Iron Range Hockey League lost a member midway through the season. The Soudan Miners were forced to fold due to not having enough players on their roster. The Soudan Mine, the economic center of Soudan and Tower closed in 1962, forcing most of the population to find work elsewhere. This led to the Miners not being able to fill the 10 player minimum and close operations. The Miners were the second oldest team in the MAHL, forming in 1899."

RIP
Souden Miners
--------------------
1899-1963
64 Years Old
--------------------

The Miners actually never won the Cup. They were in the first Kellogg Cup Final in 1915 but lost to the Victorias. Their only championship came in 1947 when they won the Iron Range Hockey League but lost to Eveleth in the first round of the playoffs.

Last edited by Section30 (12/02/2019 1:02 pm)

12/02/2019 5:40 pm  #528

Section30 wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

RIP
Souden Miners
--------------------
1899-1963
64 Years Old
--------------------

The Miners actually never won the Cup. They were in the first Kellogg Cup Final in 1915 but lost to the Victorias. Their only championship came in 1947 when they won the Iron Range Hockey League but lost to Eveleth in the first round of the playoffs.

Good to know! Though I think they should have one cup in their cabinet before folding.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

12/02/2019 8:30 pm  #529

1963 Kellogg Cup Playoff Brackets

Last edited by Section30 (12/06/2019 2:20 pm)

12/02/2019 11:53 pm  #530

Those playoffs match-ups are going to be good. I can't wait for the outcome.

Board footera