Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2019 4:10 pm  #271

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

There was quite a bit of action going on this offseason.

• 3 Teams adjusted their identities
  • 3 expansion teams were granted entrance to the league
  • Rumors of potential new leagues, and rumors of moving some of the playoffs to St. Paul full time.

Last edited by Section30 (8/22/2019 10:36 pm)

8/22/2019 4:24 pm  #272

The Duluth Hornets simply updated their iconic block D by adding a blue outline around the classic green D. Duluth also introduced a secondary logo of a hornet.

Duluth also updated their jerseys, adjusting the stripe style and shoulders. The Hornets also added the Hornet logo to the shoulders of the jerseys. The stripes on the away jersey are reversed to make the jersey more green heavy. The biggest cahnge to the new jerseys is the addition of sleeve numbers, the Hornets are the first team to do this.

New 

Old

Last edited by Section30 (8/22/2019 10:33 pm)

8/22/2019 4:33 pm  #273

Thunder Bay just sharpens their classic TB monogram. This was more of a clean up than anything else.

This season the Giants decided to go with a different jersey manufacturer in Thunder Bay. The local company was given free reign to make the uniforms, they decided to keep them almost the same as their older jerseys which have become iconic in the city. The only real changes made were adding one small stripe on the hem and making the collar red on the away jersey, but the most noticeable difference in this years uniforms is the white. The new manufacturers white is noticeably more pure than the cream of their old jerseys.

New 

Old

8/22/2019 4:46 pm  #274

St. Cloud decided to do a full re brand, officially changing their nickname to the "Bearcats" instead of "Bear Cats". The Bearcats will ditch their "Sailor Cat" logo in favor of a Bearcat paw with SC in the palm. The Cats also introduced a script logo (the script is the font Ekshada).

The Bearcats uniforms were mostly untouched in the re brand. The only changes were replacing the old logo with the script and adding laces to the jersey.

New 

Old

8/23/2019 5:48 am  #275

All 3 of these teams look really good!  Duluth and St. Cloud already had great color schemes, improving the logos (especially in St. Cloud's case, no offense intended, but I personally was never fond of "Sailor Cat", though I'm probably in the minority here as I can see him as a decent college mascot at least) really gives these teams excellent designs!  Love the addition of sleeve numbers and secondary logo on the shoulders for the Hornets.  They were already one of my (many) favorite teams to begin with, now they look even better!

As for Thunder Bay, for me the red and white jersey just look so much crisper and clean than the old jerseys.  Another nice improvement for sure! 

EDIT:  By the way, looking at the 1st page, fantastic word on all the graphics!  Only thing I see is that you listed the Bemidji  Blue Ox as the Ely Black Bears.  But yeah, seriously great work on that first page!

Last edited by Stickman (8/23/2019 5:53 am)

8/23/2019 9:37 am  #276

Nice lil' refreshes on all three teams!  The blue outline suits Duluth well, and St. Cloud's new identity is somethin' that's gonna look sharp whenever they FINALLY win that elusive Kellogg Cup.

Ready to see the expansion teams now...

8/23/2019 9:01 pm  #277

Stickman wrote:

All 3 of these teams look really good!  Duluth and St. Cloud already had great color schemes, improving the logos (especially in St. Cloud's case, no offense intended, but I personally was never fond of "Sailor Cat", though I'm probably in the minority here as I can see him as a decent college mascot at least) really gives these teams excellent designs!  Love the addition of sleeve numbers and secondary logo on the shoulders for the Hornets.  They were already one of my (many) favorite teams to begin with, now they look even better!

As for Thunder Bay, for me the red and white jersey just look so much crisper and clean than the old jerseys.  Another nice improvement for sure! 

EDIT:  By the way, looking at the 1st page, fantastic word on all the graphics!  Only thing I see is that you listed the Bemidji  Blue Ox as the Ely Black Bears.  But yeah, seriously great work on that first page!

Thank you, and no offense taken! The Sailor Cat logo was meant to be a rough cartoony logo similar to those old college logos. I'm glad you like all of them, and thanks for pointing that out I'll get that fixed!

Burmy87 wrote:

Nice lil' refreshes on all three teams!  The blue outline suits Duluth well, and St. Cloud's new identity is somethin' that's gonna look sharp whenever they FINALLY win that elusive Kellogg Cup.

Ready to see the expansion teams now...

Thank you, I'll hopefully get the expansion teams up soon!

8/25/2019 4:12 pm  #278

Our first expansion team will be joining the Twin Cities Hockey League, the Bloomington Bears. Bloomington borders Minneapolis and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state with the cities population increasing five times over this decade to nearly 50,000. The Bears could be a serious contender in no time at all.

The team will be called the " Bears" and they will share a nickname with the high school in the city. To avoid confusion with the school they decided to use claret and blue instead of green and gold.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (8/25/2019 6:43 pm)

8/25/2019 4:28 pm  #279

Next up are the Edina Cake Eaters. Edina is a suburb of Minneapolis to the west. In the last decade the city has grown to nearly 30,000 and the towns high school has made the state tournament 3 of the last 4 years and are beginning to look like a potential powerhouse. Expect Edina to be a serious championship contender from the get go.

The team will be called the "Cake Eaters" which is a name with some history behind it. Edina is one of the wealthier cities in the twin cities and their citizen have garnered a reputation of being stuck up and out of touch rich people. Because of this people from Edina have been referred to as "Cake Eaters" for decades. The term Cake Eater refers to Marie Antoinette's famous quote "Let them eat cake" saying that people from Edina are out of touch with the common people due to likely being wealthier than them. The term has been used as almost a slur against the city and particularly their hockey team for years now. So when Edina was granted a team in the Twin Cities League they decided to embrace the nickname since they knew visiting fans would call them this anyways.

Their colors are black, gold, and cream and their logo is a yellow E in a circle with Cake Eaters in the middle. After hearing about what Duluth was doing with sleeve numbers Edina decided to do that to their jerseys as well.

Last edited by Section30 (8/25/2019 6:44 pm)

8/25/2019 4:37 pm  #280

Last but not least we have the Moorhead Huskies who will be joining the Northland Hockey League. Moorhead is a city on the Minnesota-North Dakota border. Moorhead has its own mini twin cities with them and Fargo ND so expect a team across the border soon. Moorhead is located on the Red River of the North and has a population of around 20,000. Moorhead is another city with a long hockey history so I would expect the Huskies to compete right away.

The team will be called the "Huskies" due to how cold it gets in Moorhead in the winter. Their colors are blue and white.

Last edited by Section30 (8/25/2019 6:44 pm)

Board footera