Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2021 11:09 am  #2421

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

I'm really digging the updates to Mora. If they play as well as they look, they have some playoffs in their future.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/19/2021 11:28 am  #2422

Nice updates all-around...from Blaine and Minnetonka darkening their color palette to Mora embracing the red to Hastings, Mountain Iron, Stillwater and West St. Paul completing their logo evolutions!  (Also a fan of the Waves embracing powder blue as their main color-even in the uber-traditional Twin Cities League, the teams find new ways to stand out).

Ready to see the four new guys today!

4/19/2021 5:01 pm  #2423

FC Macbeth wrote:

Stillwater has that Sens vibe to it. And the new logo looks fantastic as well. I'm glad the Vols moved from a generic roundel logo and let the shamrock be the piece of their identity.

That's definitely the direction I was going so I'm glad that you like it!

JamHeronArk wrote:

I support these changes. They look rad. I especially like Mora's lean into the red.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how people would take the changes to Mora, but I'm glad they seem well received

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I'm really digging the updates to Mora. If they play as well as they look, they have some playoffs in their future.

Glad you like them, they're definitely one of the more out there designs in the league I'd say

Burmy87 wrote:

Nice updates all-around...from Blaine and Minnetonka darkening their color palette to Mora embracing the red to Hastings, Mountain Iron, Stillwater and West St. Paul completing their logo evolutions!  (Also a fan of the Waves embracing powder blue as their main color-even in the uber-traditional Twin Cities League, the teams find new ways to stand out).

Ready to see the four new guys today!

Thank you, happy to see that the updates have been well received! I'm a sucker for powder blue, so the Waves new look is one of my all time favs in the MAHL

4/19/2021 5:14 pm  #2424

Expansion Teams

Hudson is a town of about 6,000 just across the St. Croix River in Wisconsin. It is still technically a part of the Twin Cities Metro, and it is just to the east of Lake Elmo. The Bengals will play their home games outdoors at Burton Field Rink whilst their arena is being built. Hudson will be joining the St. Croix Hockey League.

They will be called the "Bengals", a name chosen to represent "Speed, Strength, and Determination" according to the team when the name was announced. Their logo is a navy and orange H for Hudson with tiger striping. The town name can be seen diagonally on both jerseys with the H on the shoulders.

4/19/2021 5:27 pm  #2425

Despite the area's long history of high school, the East Side of St. Paul never truly had a team to call their own, the closest being the V's, but players could come from all over the city. After years of lobbying, the East Side was granted a team in the TCHL for the 1983/84 season onwards. The team will go by Phalen, a neighborhood in the east side and the name of the arena they will call home, 500 seat Gustafson-Phalen Ice Arena. The East Side is a traditionally blue collar community, so don't expect an easy game when you see them.

The team decided to simply go by the "East Siders", saying "It was an easy decision, it's who we are, we're East Siders. We take great pride in where we come from." Their logo is a simple script East Siders stacked over each other. Their color scheme keeps true to the tradition on the East Side, adopting the maroon and black of the local high school, St. Paul Johnson, with the addition of silver.

4/19/2021 5:36 pm  #2426

Another community longing for a team to call their own gets their chance... again. St. Anthony was the location moniker of the Twin Cities Vulcans for a brief stint that ended 5 years ago. Believing the name was cursed, the Vulcans (who are made up primarily of players from St. Anthony) changed back to the Twin Cities moniker. Many in St. Anthony felt slighted and decided to form their own team, even getting a couple of Vulcans to join when the team was announced. The Trojans will play their home games at 500 seat Victory Memorial Ice Arena in Minneapolis.

The team will be called the "Trojans", winner of a name the team contest in the local newspaper. Their logo is a Trojan helmet in the team colors of purple and gold. They also have an StA monogram logo on the shoulders of their uniforms.

4/19/2021 6:00 pm  #2427

Red Lake is the largest city within the Red Lake Indian Reservation, home of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa. The Red Lake Band declined joining the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe in the 1930s, maintaining their traditions and customs. The land on the reservation is considered a closed reservation, meaning all of the land is held by the band and there is no private property, creating a unique environment in Red Lake that is unlike anywhere else in the State. In an attempt to give the community something to rally around during the winter, a group was formed with the intent of creating a hockey team to compete in the MAHL. Fun fact, the official language in Red Lake is still Ojibwe. The total population on the reservation is over 5,000, though the team will be based out of Red Lake. They'll be joining the Northland Hockey League and should immediately get off to rivalries with Blackduck and Bemidji.

The team will be called the "Moccasins", referring to the translation of the name Chippewa "People of the puckered Moccasins". Their logo is taken from their drivers licenses featuring a man with a headdress facing left. The Mocs also have a roundel logo with a graphic of Red Lake inside. Their team colors are red, black, and lake blue.

4/19/2021 6:09 pm  #2428

For years, Winnipeg has only had one MAHL team despite being such a large city. That is no longer the case as a new team from the west side of the city has been born. The team decided to take their name from the name of the Arena they'll call home, the 1,500 seat St. James Civic Centre, rather than becoming a second team called Winnipeg. 

They'll be called the "Stags" choosing the name for the alliteration, but also due to the large quantity of deer within the city limits. Their logo is a script St. James with "Stags" in the tail. The Stags official colors are black and amber.

That concludes the 1983 Offseason, let me know what you think!

4/19/2021 6:18 pm  #2429

1. Make that SEVEN!!!  One of the reasons I love this series so much is because of how well Wisconsin is represented...it's awesome to see Hudson finally in the fold!  The Bengals nickname truly stands out, blue and orange are my HS alma mater's colors...and they're the first WI team to have its own MASCOT!  (I KNOW Stripes is gonna be a hit in the community)
2. It's about time the East Side had a team to call its own...I like how you kept it simple, being how it's a blue-collar, down to earth area of St. Paul.
3. At last, St. Anthony has a team representing it again!  I've advocated for them ever since the Vulcans debacle, and I know the Trojans are gonna contend year-in and year-out.
4. With the various Native American-themed teams, I'm so glad to see one sponsored by the local tribe (that means it'll withstand the inevitable cultural paradigm shift).  It'll be awesome to see the rivalry develop among the whole Beltrami County trio (especially since the Mallards' days as cellar-dwellers may soon end)
5. It's about time Winnipeg got another team too.  I especially like the route you went of them having their own identity (though a trophy series with the Monarchs is inevitable).

All in all, another FANTASTIC class and offseason...as always, you know where to e-mail 'em all to me at.

(PS: Whenever you feel up to updating my Wisconsin sig with the Bengals' logo, I'm ready)

Last edited by Burmy87 (4/19/2021 6:29 pm)

4/19/2021 11:17 pm  #2430

Burmy87 wrote:

1. Make that SEVEN!!!  One of the reasons I love this series so much is because of how well Wisconsin is represented...it's awesome to see Hudson finally in the fold!  The Bengals nickname truly stands out, blue and orange are my HS alma mater's colors...and they're the first WI team to have its own MASCOT!  (I KNOW Stripes is gonna be a hit in the community)
2. It's about time the East Side had a team to call its own...I like how you kept it simple, being how it's a blue-collar, down to earth area of St. Paul.
3. At last, St. Anthony has a team representing it again!  I've advocated for them ever since the Vulcans debacle, and I know the Trojans are gonna contend year-in and year-out.
4. With the various Native American-themed teams, I'm so glad to see one sponsored by the local tribe (that means it'll withstand the inevitable cultural paradigm shift).  It'll be awesome to see the rivalry develop among the whole Beltrami County trio (especially since the Mallards' days as cellar-dwellers may soon end)
5. It's about time Winnipeg got another team too.  I especially like the route you went of them having their own identity (though a trophy series with the Monarchs is inevitable).

All in all, another FANTASTIC class and offseason...as always, you know where to e-mail 'em all to me at.

(PS: Whenever you feel up to updating my Wisconsin sig with the Bengals' logo, I'm ready)

Thank you for the kind words, here's an updated version for you!

Board footera