Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2020 5:20 pm  #2131

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1981 Kellogg Cup Super Series Playdowns

Brookings Buffaloes vs Burnsville Bucks
The opening game of the 1981 Super Series was a battle between a couple South Region teams who both won their respective leagues, Brookings the Southwest and Burnsville the South Metro. It was a very even contest right form the get go, and it remained scoreless through the first 40 minutes of play. It wasn't until the third period that the Buffaloes were able to get a one timer past the Bucks goalie to take a 1-0 lead. It was back and forth for the remainder of the game with shots ending tied 29-29, but that one goal would be enough to carry Brookings to the Great Eight as their goaltender completes the shut out. Brookings advances, ending Burnsville's season with a 1-0 win.

Twin Cities Vulcans vs Chisholm Flames
It was a long trek to St. Paul for the Flames, but that didn't seem to slow them down as they came out flying and netted a goal a little over 3 minutes into the game. The Vulcans converted on the man advantage to tie the score at once apiece after 1. The Vulcans began to take over midway through the game as they pinned the Flames in their zone for minutes on end. The Flames were getting gassed by the end of the period and the Vulcans capitalized on this, scoring twice late in the period to take a 3-1 lead into the third. Chisholm caught their breath between periods and were able to beat the Twin Cities goalie with a tip in front to make it a one goal game. Chisholm was forced to pull their goalie late in the game still trailing, and the Vulcans were able to capitalize on the empty net, securing the 4-2 victory to advance to the Great Eight. Chisholm's run has come to an end, but this group of Flames has done something that no other has been able to, carrying the Iron Range town of under 6,000 to the Super Series.

Maplewood Retrievers vs Superior Lakers
They say that the most important piece of a championship team is having a hot goalie... well if that's the case then everyone better watch out for the Superior Lakers. Arthur Nelson has been a man possessed these playoffs, carrying the Lakers past Thunder Bay and Fort Frances to get here, and it didn't stop there. The lights shine brightest in the Super Series and Nelson was thriving in the spotlight. Maplewood was arguably the better team on the night, outshooting the Lakers 31-28, but that doesn't matter if you can't score. The Goldies were snake bit, running into a goalie playing the best hockey of his life. Nothing was getting past Nelson tonight as he stopped all 31 shots to carry Superior to a 2-0 victory and a Great Eight appearance. It is a tough end of the year for Maplewood, but they are a younger group and have a bright future ahead of them, they'll be back.

Brainerd Lumberjacks vs Austin Mavericks
The final game of the night was between a couple familiar faces in Brainerd and Austin. It was slow to start, but before long the Mavericks began to buzz in the offensive zone. The Lumberjack goal was peppered with shots until one finally snuck through to put the Mavs up by one. Austin smelt blood in the water and their momentum allowed them to take complete control of play for the back half of the first. Brainerd was helpless as the Mavericks jumped out to a 3-0 lead after 1. Brainerd scored early in the second which would be the only goal of the period, making it 3-1 Austin with 20 minutes to play. A tripping penalty gave the Mavericks a powerplay chance that they converted on to regain a 3 goal lead and from there the writing was on the wall. The Jacks were able to pull themselves a bit closer on a snipe from the slot, but it would be too little too late as Austin holds on to advance with a 4-2 win.

11/30/2020 5:38 pm  #2132

Great Eight Preview

Warroad Lakers vs Brookings Buffaloes
The top team in the MAHL gets to face off with the SWHA champs from Brookings in the Great Eight. Warroad has shown that they deserve the top ranking all season long, but this is where all of the years work comes to fruition. The #17 Buffaloes are a team that has been flying a bit under the radar, but the Buffs are a legit contender.  Will the Lakers keep Hockeytown in the hunt for their second Cup? Or will Brookings pull off the upset and advance to the Semi Finals for the first time?

Mankato Moose vs Twin Cities Vulcans
By far the closest matchup of any in the Great Eight, #8 Mankato takes on #9 Twin Cities for a trip to the Semi's. Mankato has made it to the Super Series 3 times in the past, but they are still looking for their first SS win. The Vulcans are looking to get back to the Semis after a 5 year drought. Will Kato summon the ghosts of St. Anthony? Or will the Vulcans keep the Moose winless in the big show?

West St. Paul Waves vs Superior Lakers
This has all the makings of a potential classic, one of the best all around teams in all of the MAHL going up against the hottest goaltender in all of the league at this moment, Arthur Nelson. #2 WSP is determined to finally bring Senator Kellogg's Cup home, but #25 Superior is hoping to bring it back to Wisco. Will the Waves roll past the Lakers? Or will Nelson and the Lakers reign Superior and advance?

Roseville Rockets vs Austin Mavericks
#3 Roseville come into this one as heavy favorites over the unranked Mavericks, but of all teams to be wary of in the Playoffs, Austin is among the top. There is a reason that Austin has made 5 straight Super Series, they're a damn good hockey team. The question will be whether or not they are able to keep up with the speedy Rockets. Will Roseville punch their ticket to the Semis with a win? Or will Austin keep their tradition of playoff success going with another upset?

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

11/30/2020 5:47 pm  #2133

Great Eight Predictions

Warroad over Brookings
The Buffaloes come up just short in their attempt to be the first South Dakotan team in the semis

West St Paul over Superior
The Waves sink the Lakers

Austin over Roseville
The Mavericks look to make another Cinderella run

Twin Cities over Mankato
The Vulcans continue their non-St Anthony success

11/30/2020 5:47 pm  #2134

Rugrat wrote:

Even though I am never active on this thread (due to my little knowledge about Hockey and all I know about Minnesota is that is has the opposite climate of Arizona and that is was where George Floyd was murdered) how do you simulate this Section30?

It's all good, hopefully there's still something for you to enjoy!

As for simulation method, I use a number ranking system and random generator. For the regular season standings I rank each team based on how good they were the year before, how long they've been good, city size, etc. then put them in the randomizer and whichever team is picked twice first finished first, then second and so on. For playoffs I just do the two teams playing each other. Home team always is a 5, visiting team either 3-4 based on their skill and how they did in the year.

That's basically the gist of it, I don't use a really do any super detailed simulation stuff or any other software. All players are just people I made up to fit the story, not the other way around.

11/30/2020 5:51 pm  #2135

sportsfan7 wrote:

Great Eight Predictions

Warroad over Brookings
The Buffaloes come up just short in their attempt to be the first South Dakotan team in the semis

West St Paul over Superior
The Waves sink the Lakers

Austin over Roseville
The Mavericks look to make another Cinderella run

Twin Cities over Mankato
The Vulcans continue their non-St Anthony success

I always love hearing your predictions, I don't think I've ever mentioned it outright but just thought I'd let you know

One little thing though, technically if Brookings wins and advances they will be the second team from SD to make the Semis with Sioux Falls doing it back in 1972 on their way to a Kellogg Cup loss to the St. Paul Victorias.

11/30/2020 6:08 pm  #2136

Section30 wrote:

I always love hearing your predictions, I don't think I've ever mentioned it outright but just thought I'd let you know

One little thing though, technically if Brookings wins and advances they will be the second team from SD to make the Semis with Sioux Falls doing it back in 1972 on their way to a Kellogg Cup loss to the St. Paul Victorias.

Shoot. That was a different color on the Wiki, but I thought I remembered the Pack making a run.

12/02/2020 7:28 pm  #2137

1981 Kellogg Cup Great Eight

Warroad Lakers vs Brookings Buffaloes
It was all Warroad in the first, but Brookings was somehow able to escape without allowing a goal against despite giving up 14 shots in 20 minutes. The Lakers finally broke through late in the second, ending the period up -0 and leading in shots 27-6. A powerplay goal put the Lakers up by two and it was all over from there as Warroad just played keep away in the offensive zone, winding down the clock until the final horn rang. Warroad advances with a dominant performance over Brookings, shutting them out 2-0.

Mankato Moose vs Twin Cities Vulcans
This was the one everyone was talking about heading into day two of the Super Series, and boy did it live up to the hype. The Moose and Vulcans were flying up and down the ice with scoring chances, slowly but steadily climbing up the scoreboard. By the end of regulation we were tied 5-5 in what may have been one of the fastest 60 minutes of play in Super Series history with nearly no stoppages aside from the occasional goal or covered puck. Fans of both teams cheered for their teams as they returned to the ice for overtime. "Lets Go Moose" chants answered with "Lets Go Vulcans" rang out as the puck was dropped and we were underway. Mankato had a golden opportunity hit the post a few minutes in and it would come back to haunt them as the Vulcans intercepted a breakout pass and turned it into a scoring chance that led to a rebound being put home to send the Twin Cities Vulcans to the Semi Finals.

West St. Paul Waves vs Superior Lakers
The Nelson show continues as Superior shuts down the feared West St. Paul Wave forward core for a full 60 minutes. Arthur Nelson was once again a man possessed, stopping all 34 shots he faced, including a highlight real diving glove save to rob a Wave forward late in the second. With how much the media has talked about Nelson, many seem to be forgetting that the Lakers are a damn good hockey team, finishing in second in the Lake Superior Hockey League. The Lakers were able to convert on two of their 28 shots which would be more than enough. West St. Paul sat in a stunned silence on the bench after the final horn, yet another missed chance at the Cup. Superior on the other hand were exuberant as they mobbed their goaltender in celebration., the Lakers advance with a 2-0 shutout win over West St. Paul.

Roseville Rockets vs Austin Mavericks
You couldn't hope for a better start than what the Rockets got, capitalizing on their very first shot of the game. The Austin goalie seemed to settle in a bit after the early goal, stopping the rest he faced in the first. Roseville had a 5 on 3 chance midway through the second that they converted on to extend their lead to 2. Austin would make the Rockets pay for a bad line change, sending a man in on a breakaway that would give them some life late heading into the third now only down 2-1. Unfortunately for the Mavericks, the momentum from their late goal didn't really translate into the new period as Roseville came out flying and scored 4:22 in to get back their 2 goal lead. A great shot from the top of the circle would make it a 3 goal game and the writing was on the wall. That would prove to be the final goal of the game, sending Roseville to the Semi Finals with a 4-1 win.

12/02/2020 7:41 pm  #2138

Semi Finals Preview

Warroad Lakers vs Twin Cities Vulcans
Warroad and Twin Cities do actually have one previous meeting, back in the 1962 Great Eight which saw the Lakers advance with a 4-1 win on their way to a Kellogg Cup loss to the St. Paul Victorias. Warroad was the number one team in the MAHL at the end of the regular season, they are the number one seed in the Super Series, and they are now only 2 games away from making it official. The #9 Vulcans are coming off a hard fought game against Mankato, but they should also be coming in with quite a bit of confidence and momentum so it will be interesting to see if either of those factors have an impact on the game. Will Warroad keep it going and return to the Finals for the 3rd time in team history? Or will the Vulcans offense be enough to carry them past the Lakers?

Roseville Rockets vs Superior Lakers
Roseville doesn't seem too phased by the spotlight, convincingly handling Austin. Superior is on a run to remember thanks to goaltender Arthur Nelson who is coming into this Semi Final matchup with 3 consecutive shutouts. The Rockets boast an explosive offense that will definitely put Nelson to the test, but right now he seems to be in a league of his own. Will the Rockets launch themselves into the Finals with a win? Or will Nelson and the Lakers pull off their 5th consecutive upset win and return to the Finals after a 30+ year hiatus?

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

12/02/2020 8:14 pm  #2139

I predict a Laker Battle in the final

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (12/02/2020 8:16 pm)

12/02/2020 9:28 pm  #2140

As much as I want the Lakers to play the Lakers for the sake of the meme, I want a double Metro final!

Board footera