Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2020 10:23 pm  #2091

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

sportsfan7 wrote:

Are we allowed to rank teams that didn't make the playoffs? Looking through the other analysts rankings so far I seem to be the only one to rank the Blue Ox.

Yes you are definitely allowed to rank outside teams outside the playoffs, this ranking is for the best teams in the league not necessary the ones that made it.

NeoPrankster wrote:

By the 1980/81 season, would there be enough subscribers in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other states to warrant the MAHL's transition to cable television?

I don't really know much about media numbers and such so I usually leave that up to the commenters to help me out there, but I imagine that the MAHL would get similar tv agreements to what local colleges got at the time. I could see some teams in college towns or some of the bigger teams getting local broadcasting every now and then. Some playoff games leading up to the Super Series are broadcasted regionally, and the entire Super Series is televised.

10/29/2020 3:58 pm  #2092

1981 MAHL Power Rankings

Also receiving votes: Fergus Falls-13, New Ulm-13, Bemidji-12, Sioux Falls-11, Austin-10, White Bear Lake-8, Fargo-7, Inver Grove Heights-3, Minneapolis M-2, Chisholm-1, Winona-1

Hockeytown USA is home of the top ranked team in the MAHL according to our analysts. The Lakers received half of the first place votes, West St. Paul also got one and the defending champions got a pair of top rankings, but some lower ranking have the Roosters sitting in 6th. The top 7 teams all surpassed 100 in the ranking system, with the Moose and Vulcans in 8th and 9th missing the tripple diget mark by one as they tie in points with 99. Mankato was given the higher seeding due to winning their league. 15, 16, and 17 were split by one point each with the Stars getting 56 points, Retrivers 55, and Buffaloes 54. Hastings, St. Louis Park, and Grand Rapids also tied with 21 points each, just showing how even many of these teams really are.

10/29/2020 4:05 pm  #2093

1981 Kellogg Cup Playoff Trees

Let me hear your thoughts and predictions, comments are appreciated!

10/29/2020 4:09 pm  #2094

Back against the Dutchmen. This is a game that the Diamonds can win.

11/07/2020 10:16 pm  #2095

First off, Congratulations to President-Elect Joe Biden. I have been a little preoccupied with the current affairs over the last week or so, but now that's all over (hopefully) I should be back to a more regular schedule of posting every couple days or so

1981 Kellogg Cup Playoffs: Knockout Round - North

Silver Bay Beavers vs Duluth Voyageurs
It was a Lake Superior Hockey League battle for survival at a sold out Silver Bay Arena. It was back and forth for 60 minutes with goals a plenty for both squads. We ended regulation tied at 5 each giving the 2,500+ in attendance some free hockey and plenty of nerves. A few minutes passed before the Beavers were granted a powerplay thanks to a Voyageur getting his stick caught in a Beavers skate, tripping him and giving Silver Bay a man advantage. The Beavs won the draw to the point where it was settled down allowing the powerplay to set up. The puck was worked down low while the winger broke into the slot in a set play they had planned. The man in the corner one touch passed it to the slot for a one timer that blew past the Duluth goaltender. Silver Bay Arena erupted in celebration as the Beavers swarmed their teammate in celebration, winning their first playoff game in 4 years (where they happened to go all the way to the Super Series). Silver Bay advances, knocking off le bleus by a final score of 6-5.

Fergus Falls Cyclones vs Detroit Lakes Wood Ducks
It may not be a league matchup, but it may as well have been one. Fergus Falls plays in the Granite Hockey League and Detroit Lakes plays in the Red River Hockey League. Despite this, Detroit Lakes is closer to Fergus Falls than any of the Cyclones league mates (only Pelican Rapids is closer). Fergus Falls Ice Arena had a line out front 3 hours before the ticket office even opened with fans from both towns hoping to get in. Packed far beyond the seating capacity of 1,300, the game finally began. It was a barn burner early on with the Ducks striking 3 minutes in and the Clones responding with 3 before the period came to a close. Detroit Lakes netted the next goal, but Fergus got it right back to make it 4-2. The Cyclones were buzzing at the end of the second, scoring once and coming so so close a couple other times. Down 5-2 with only 20 minutes to play, Detroit Lakes was forced to get more aggressive. It was paying off for the first 10 minutes or so as they maintained offensive control and buried a rebound to give themselves a bit of life. The Woodies kept working down low, scoring again to make it a one goal game. Fergus Falls called a timeout after the goal to try and settle things down. The Cyclones were able to minimize the Ducks chances for the final half of the period, keeping them to 4 while putting one in the empty net in the final minute to secure a 6-4 victory, their first playoff win in a decade.

Chisholm Flames vs Little Falls Pilots
This one was all Flames for the vast majority of the game. Chisholm was just the better team, outshooting the Pilots 35-20 at the end of the game. Little Falls was bailed out partially by their goalie who was able to put aside 32 shots, but the 3 he couldn't get would be too much to overcome. The Pilots were trailing 3-0 until a shot from far out got through a screen in front with about 7 minutes left in the game to end Chisholm's shutout. The final horn sounded to send Chisholm on with a 3-1 win at home.

Fargo Titans vs St. Cloud Bearcats
Two of the most storied teams in their respective leagues facing off in the playoffs for the second time in three years. Fargo is looking for revenge for their 1-0 second round loss two years ago, but the Bearcats are looking to keep their season alive with another win on the road in North Dakota. The first was slow and mostly uneventful except for a fluke goal from the corner that gave St. Cloud a 1-0 lead after 1. Fargo came marching back in the second with two goals to take the lead midway through the game. The Cats capitalized on a powerplay with just over a minute left in the period to tie the score at 2 with 20 minutes left to play. The late goal seemed to give the Bearcats a bit of momentum as we began the third with St. Cloud ringing the post on their first shot of the period and nearly taking the lead before the goalie covered the puck for a whistle. The draw was won and a quick shot from the point hit a skate in front and redirected up and over the goalies shoulder to put St. Cloud up 3-2. It was hard fought hockey for the remainder of the game with both teams getting some chances. The Bearcats were finally able to put it away as they extended their lead to 2 on an odd man rush with 5:25 left in regulation. Fargo was deflated after the goal and it was all but over then and there. The final horn sounded to send St. Cloud to the next round with the upset on the road by a final score of 4-2.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

11/07/2020 10:27 pm  #2096

Hey S30, I have been following for a while, but I still don't know who I should root for. Apart from that, glad to have these back

11/07/2020 10:32 pm  #2097

Kingsfan11 wrote:

Hey S30, I have been following for a while, but I still don't know who I should root for. Apart from that, glad to have these back

Pick a few! I am from Wisconsin, so I'm all about those teams. But I also like a few others based on logos and colors, like Detroit Lakes, East Grand Forks, and Como.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

11/07/2020 10:36 pm  #2098

I think I'll go with Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Little Canada, New Ulm, Winona and St Cloud Bearcats

TB, Winnipeg, Little Canada: Canada, duh
New Ulm, Winona: Like the logo
St  Cloud Bearcats: Colors

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (11/07/2020 10:40 pm)

11/07/2020 11:09 pm  #2099

Kingsfan11 wrote:

I think I'll go with Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Little Canada, New Ulm, Winona and St Cloud Bearcats

The Bavarians' bus is always big enough for one more. Welcome!

11/08/2020 12:10 am  #2100

Kingsfan11 wrote:

Just to be sure, you're aware that Little Canada is not in Canada, correct? But Steinbach and Kenora are in Canada.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera