Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/26/2020 2:10 pm  #2081

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

QCS wrote:

Section30 wrote:

There are rumors that there are a few cities in around the metro that have been showing interest in getting teams. There are also rumblings about drastic realignment and potentially new leagues to allow this. Like I said though these are just rumors I heard

Oh ok I wonder if S30 will go with it... wait a minute.

Speaking of the NMHL, what on earth happened with my Chargers? They fell of a cliff!

These are just rumors that I heard through the grapevine, no reliable sources covering the MAHL have confirmed anything, just speculation. And if it were to happen it might not be right away, because if the rumors are true there's a lot of moving parts.

As for your Chargers it was just father time finally saying enough is enough and sentencing them to pain for overachieving last year

10/26/2020 2:38 pm  #2082

Ah, you hate to see it. I knew last year they overachieved but dang I just want a deep playoff run. Not even asking for a Kellogg Cup, just getting deep in the Metro bracket.

10/26/2020 2:48 pm  #2083

1980/81 Regular Season - South

Make that 5 straight Blue Earth Hockey League titles for the Mankato Moose. The Cherry and Grey were the class of the league yet again, cruising to the title rather comfortably despite losing some key pieces to North Mankato. New Ulm ends the 5 year drought to make their long awaited return to the playoffs as the two seed. It was a 5 team battle for the 3 and 4 spots and playoff births. Mason City was consistent all season and it allowed them to finish in third. Albert Lea was able to just squeeze into the 4 spot having one more win than the River Bats who just miss out in their first season. Owatonna was also in contention but they weren't able to get it done as they come 6th. Faribault, St. Peter, and Le Sueur all had losing records and were overall just alright. Fairmont had another rough year, but they did manage to come ahead of the expansion Bluegills who really had a tough time in their first season as was expected

It was a three team fight at the top of the standings all season long between the Bucks, Lions, and Cardinals. The three swapped spots but always stayed in the top 3 after the first month of the season. Burnsville came out on top at the end of the season to claim their first league title in 8 years. Inver Grove was next, followed closely by Apple Valley in third. Shakopee settled into their new home rather nicely, taking advantage of home ice to get them back into the playoffs in the 4 spot. Eagan was next and they were mediocre yet again. Rosemount had a nice season in the Dome, moving up after a last place finish last year. Prior Lake and Lakeville were both rather bad, winning a combined 6 games against the rest of the league.

Keeping with the tradition of dynasties in the South Region is Brookings who completes the three-pete in the SWHA, but the real challenge this year is to finally make the Super Series. The Packers were on fire at the end of the year, winning 8 of their last 11 to finish second and set themselves up with momentum heading into the playoffs. Luverne slides back into the post season in the three spot to end the 2 year drought. We have a new face in the playoffs this year with Worthington bumping out Marshall by 2 games to come in fourth. The aforementioned Pheasants were so so close to extending their playoff streak to 8, but it just wasn't meant to be as the Zephyrs take their place. It was a rather disappointing season for the Shockers as they miss the playoffs for only the second time ever, finishing with a losing record for the first time in team history. Spirit Lake wasn't bad, but they weren't good either, and they often found themselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard finishing 7th. It was the usual suspects in the bottom two spots with the Paddlefish beating out the Trailblazers thanks almost entirely to their games against one another as the rest of the league basically ran through both teams.

The Rochester Mustangs are Valley Hockey League champs once more, winning their first title in 5 years and their 15th overall. The Stangs held onto the Civil War Trophy yet again, still never losing it. Austin wasn't able to complete the three-pete, but they are by no means taking a step down. The Mavericks were really the only team to give Rochester a run for their money, finishing 3 games back in the end. Winona is back after a very disappointing season a year ago, finishing in third. It has been a rough 7 years in the south side of Rochester, but the Robins were finally able to get over the hump and get back into the playoffs as the 4 seed. Red Wing and Northfield both had good teams, but they just weren't consistent enough to get them into the playoffs as they come 5th and 6th. The age of La Crosse was really showing itself this year as the Brewers fall back out of the playoffs, they will need to hope that the new wave will be able to turn it around soon. The bottom three were a bit separated from the rest of the pack in the standings. It was a year to forget for Cannon Falls, Lake City, and Wabasha.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

10/26/2020 2:52 pm  #2084

The River Bats did well, go Lions and Wildcats

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

10/26/2020 3:04 pm  #2085

That ends the 1980/81 Regular Season, I will await the Rankings from our MAHL Analysts

10/26/2020 11:31 pm  #2086

I guess New Ulm's rebranding works out like magic! Let's go, boys!

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

10/27/2020 4:54 pm  #2087

Are we allowed to rank teams that didn't make the playoffs? Looking through the other analysts rankings so far I seem to be the only one to rank the Blue Ox.

10/27/2020 5:45 pm  #2088

By the 1980/81 season, would there be enough subscribers in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other states to warrant the MAHL's transition to cable television?

10/27/2020 6:26 pm  #2089

NeoPrankster wrote:

By the 1980/81 season, would there be enough subscribers in Minnesota, Wisconsin and other states to warrant the MAHL's transition to cable television?

Right now the Kellogg Cup is aired on WTCN (Metro, Media, Television!  11...11...11...).  But I could see some of the smaller and more local stations cover their hometown teams (in particular PBS stations, particularly those run by the colleges)

10/27/2020 8:35 pm  #2090

Burmy87 wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

Right now the Kellogg Cup is aired on WTCN (Metro, Media, Television!  11...11...11...).  But I could see some of the smaller and more local stations cover their hometown teams (in particular PBS stations, particularly those run by the colleges)

I thought KMSP picked up the Kellogg Cup in the great Twin Cities Network Affiliation Swap of 1979?

Board footera