Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2020 8:29 pm  #2021

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Semi Final Predictions

Mounds View over Bemidji
The Gunners go Ox hunting and clinch a berth in the Final

East Grand Forks over Richfield
The Pointers offense doesn't slow down and they handily beat the Roosters

10/11/2020 12:04 am  #2022

I've always been a fan of center ice designs and thought that it could be cool to see the progression of them in the MAHL, it is going to be a long process but I will be doing it slowly but surely and updating it yearly as if it were real life (so if a town gets a new arena you'll be able to see the design and such).

I have the TCHL caught up to date and if you want to see just click here

One thing I should mention is that this is only for indoor arenas because outdoor rinks would have been very bare bones, many not even having a real circle just lines on the boards and a dot at center ice.

10/11/2020 9:43 am  #2023

Section30 wrote:

I've always been a fan of center ice designs and thought that it could be cool to see the progression of them in the MAHL, it is going to be a long process but I will be doing it slowly but surely and updating it yearly as if it were real life (so if a town gets a new arena you'll be able to see the design and such).

One thing I should mention is that this is only for indoor arenas because outdoor rinks would have been very bare bones, many not even having a real circle just lines on the boards and a dot at center ice.

On all of these outdoors rinks, do they still have boards up to form the rink, or is it just snow banks or the shores of the pond? 

10/11/2020 3:22 pm  #2024

RoughRiders9 wrote:

Section30 wrote:

On all of these outdoors rinks, do they still have boards up to form the rink, or is it just snow banks or the shores of the pond? 

All MAHL rinks, even on frozen ponds, have used some form of boards. Even if it was just some plywood, there had to be some form of boards at least 4 feet tall. All boards have been relatively the same since WW2 ended though

10/11/2020 3:52 pm  #2025

1980 Kellogg Cup Semi Finals

Bemidji Blue Ox vs Mounds View Gunners
Everything must come to an end at some point, and for Mounds View that time was now. Bemidji was just the better hockey team on the night, thoroughly dominating the Gunners in all aspects of the game. The Blue Ox made it clear that they were not going to lay off the gas no matter how big of a lead they had, they were not going to take any chances. Mounds View ended up getting buried in shots 42-16 on the scoreboard 6-1 to send Bemidji back to the Kellogg Cup Final.

Richfield Roosters vs East Grand Forks Pointers
It was a refreshing change of pace in the night game compared to the ass whooping in the game prior as Richfield and East Grand Forks battled in the truest sense of the word. Both teams are built off skill and offense and boy did they both come to play. It was lighting fast back and forth with chance after chance for both teams. The crowd was electric from the constant action and the supporters rallied on their squads with "Lets Go Cocks!" and "EGF! EGF!" chants. Both teams exceeded 30 shots through regulation, testing both goaltenders, and the score was tied at 3 to force overtime at Met Center. Such an even and exciting game was only fitting of needing a second overtime, and then a third as both offensive powers switched up their games to protect their net. The clock just passed the 6 minute mark of the third overtime period as the Roosters gained control and broke out with speed and numbers into the Pointer zone. The puck carrier cut to the top of the circle and sauced a pass past the defenders stick to a teammate pushing towards goal. Rather than catch the pass he opted to redirect it on goal, but the EGF goaltender got it with his shoulder. The rebound landed just outside the crease and the still moving Rooster forward picked up his own rebound and tucked it past the Pointer goalie with the backhand to secure the win for Richfield. The Roosters survive a triple overtime thriller to advance to their first Kellogg Cup Final, taking down East Grand Forks by a final score of 4-3.

10/11/2020 3:57 pm  #2026

Final Preview

Richfield Roosters vs Bemidji Blue Ox
It all comes down to this. Richfield is here for the first time and hopes to keep the Cup in the West Metro. Bemidji is looking for their second Cup and have shown that they are more than capable of doing so, all they need is one more win. The big question is how much the 3 OT game the night before will effect the Cocks, but only time will tell. Will Richfield be crowned kings of the MAHL? Or will the Blue Ox bring Senator Kellogg's Cup back to Paul and Babe?

Let me hear your thoughts and predictions, comments are appreciated!

10/11/2020 6:01 pm  #2027

I’ve held my lips until now, so I shouldn’t really be saying anything. I just hope we don’t cluck it up.

10/11/2020 8:46 pm  #2028

Final Prediction

Bemidji over Richfield
The Blue Ox trample the not-so-early birds

10/12/2020 1:23 pm  #2029

1980 Kellogg Cup Final

1st Period
RICH - 0
BEM  - 1

Met Center was filled to capacity as the puck was dropped in the 1980 Kellogg Cup Final. Fans from both teams on either side of the ice were chanting back and forth with Richfield fans converting Bemidji's "Lets Go Ox" chants into "Lets Go Cocks". The Babes began to get some sustained pressure with under 5 to go in the period, swarming the zone until they popped home a rebound to take a 1-0 lead.

2nd Period
RICH - 0
BEM  - 1

The second was a bit slower, but the Ox were throwing their bodies around making it tough on the Roosters. The period ended as it started with the Blue Ox up 1-0.

3rd Period
RICH - 3
BEM  - 2

It didn't take long into the final frame of the game for the Ox to get a scoring opportunity, sending a forward in alone on goal with a breakaway. He put it to his backhand and lofted it under the bar to give Bemidji a 2 goal lead just over a minute into the third. Richfield has never been a team to give in when trailing and the second goal seemed to light a fire under their asses as they really kicked it into another gear. A shot on the rush squeaked past the Ox goalie to get the Roosters on the board and the momentum took a drastic turn. Richfield used their skill and speed to just flat out outplay the Ox for the remainder of the game. The Babes struggled to even get it past center ice for the final ten minutes or so as they managed only 5 shots in the third period to Richfield's 16. Bemidji's defense was turned into swiss cheese by the Cocks who went tick tack toe to tie the game 2-2 and took the lead on a one timer with 7:10 left in the game. That would turn out to be the game winner as Richfield completes the comeback to take home their first MAHL Championship. The Richfield Roosters are your 1980 Kellogg Cup Champions!

The Tschida Trophy for MAHL MVP was given to East Grand Forks right winger Henry Mack who won the RRHL goal scoring title, led his team all the way to the Semi Finals including the overtime winner in the Great Eight, and ended the season with the most goals in the season (regular season and playoffs combined). This is Mack's first time winning the award.

10/12/2020 2:56 pm  #2030

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO!  Crow on, Richfield, your Roosters are on TOP of the MAHL world...seeing how strong they looked all season, withstanding every challenge in their way, methinks we've got a real dynasty in the making.

And now, it's time for a very special edition of THIS YEAR IN MAJOR HOCKEY.

NHL
This was the first year of a brand-new era for the NHL, not only with the four former WHA teams joining the league, but also with this being the first year that helmets became mandatory for all new players (those who signed their contract prior to June 1, 1979 were grandfathered in).  The Canadiens' four-year run with Lord Stanley's Cup has come to an end, as the New York Islanders have captured it for the first time, besting the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2 in the Finals to win it.

Your Minnesota North Stars returned to the playoffs this year, securing third place in the Adams Division with 88 points (22 behind the Buffalo Sabres).  The North Stars would have their deepest playoff run to date, sweeping the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-0 in the Preliminary Round and going the distance against the four-time defending champions Montreal Canadiens in the Quarterfinals, winning the series 4-3 to dethrone the Habs after four years.  Unfortunately, the North Stars would be defeated by the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 in the Semifinals.  Still, with this historic run, highlighted by Al MacAdam winning the Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy, hopes are high in the State of Hockey for next season and beyond.

Meanwhile, your Winnipeg Jets were not as fortunate, only gaining 51 points throughout the season, tied with the Colorado Rockies for the Smythe Division (and the NHL's) wooden spoon.  With their roster already decimated via a reclamation draft, the Jets had to trade away the face of their franchise, sending Bobby Hull to the Whalers, where he and rival-turned-teammate Gordie Howe would finish their careers in Hartford that season.  To make matters worse, sharing the arena with the MAHL's Winnipeg Monarchs took its toll on both teams this year, as the already-heavy use by both teams left the ice on the low side of both the NHL and the NLHL quality-wise (sparking rumors that the Monarchs may be moving to an under-construction arena on the University of Manitoba campus).  Despite these growing pains and the long, tough rebuild ahead, the Jets' rabid fan base is up for every moment of the challenge ahead.

Finally, after eight seasons in Georgia, the Atlanta Flames are packing their bags and moving to Calgary, Alberta this coming season, forming an instant provincial rivalry with the Edmonton Oilers, led by NHL newcomer and Hart Trophy winner Wayne Gretzky.

Olympics
If you didn't believe in miracles before, after the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, you've got to now.  Former University of Minnesota coach Herb Brooks already had his work cut out for him with the mighty Soviet Union team looming large, and his unorthodox "hybrid" style of rugged North American and team-centered European players divided fans across the nation.  Some asked why Brooks omitted several promising prospects, to which he would only answer "I'm not looking for the best players.  I'm looking for the right ones."

In Blue Division play, Team USA found themselves tied with Sweden for the group lead, advancing to the Final Round with the Swedish team, with Czechoslovakia finishing at six points and defeating Canada in the fifth-place game and Romania, West Germany and Norway all going home.  The USA's prospects looked especially dim as they were set to face the four-time defending gold medalists from the USSR in their first matchup on February 22, 1980, a night which would go down in world history even beyond a sports fan's perspective.

The first period saw the Soviets take an early lead, but the Americans' tenacity would shine through as US goalie Jim Craig turned away many a Soviet shot, while Mark Johnson tied the game at 2-2 in the second period apiece.

At the beginning of the second period, Soviet coach Viktor Tikhonov made a shocking movie by benching the world's best goalie Vladislav Tretiak in favor of backup Vladimir Myshkin, stunning players on both teams and proving the turning point.  Though Myshkin allowed no goals in the second period and the USSR took the 3-2 lead at the end of the period on a power play goal, nothing and no one could have prepared the world for what came next.

Taking advantage of a rare offensive opportunity on a power play, that old American spirit shone through as, after his teammate was knocked to the ice, Mark Johnson scored the game-tying power play goal at the 8:39 mark.  A couple shifts later, USA captain Mike Eruzione, having just gotten back on the ice, scored the go-ahead goal with ten minutes to go. 

With the Soviets unwilling to pull their goalie and Coach Brooks encouraging the Americans to keep playing offensively, that would be the final tally as the final horn sounded, the jubilant Americans on and off the ice packing together to celebrate while Coach Brooks headed to the locker room to cry, with his players joining him later on for an impromptu rendition of "God Bless America."  In the words of Al Michaels' call at that moment, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!"  Two days later, the Americans defeated Finland 4-2 to capture the gold medal and cap off a moment which will never be forgotten in hockey, sports, American or human history.

I'm Michael Burmy, and this has been This Year in Major Hockey for 1979-80...I'm ready for every offseason announcement the MAHL has coming-Minnesota is the State of Hockey, and this year hockey is what brought all Americans together.  May that spirit of unity continue to shine through, both on and off the ice.

Board footera