Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2020 4:04 pm  #1921

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Looks like my pick may be right.... not that I wanted it to be of course, lol!  Sticking with Edina here, though I'd love to see the Waves win instead!

8/20/2020 4:47 pm  #1922

I've always loved old school goalie masks and wanted to try my hand at making some masks for some notable goalies in MAHL history, let me know if this is something that you guys like or if there are any teams you'd wanna see done like this

8/20/2020 5:06 pm  #1923

These masks are amazing! I like that I get to see designs for my two favorite teams.

8/20/2020 5:23 pm  #1924

I need some Thief River masks or just any masks! As a goalie, I can say these look amazing!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/20/2020 5:28 pm  #1925

Those are some nice masks - Grand Rapids and Roseau in particular! Is Tim related to Boomer? (former Stars player and coach Matt Baumgartner)

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

8/20/2020 6:40 pm  #1926

Well done on the masks!  They all look cool, of course my favorite are the Grant Rapids Moose, although Brainerd's has a nice intimidation factor.  There are regular ax murderers and then there ax murderers who dress to kill!

8/20/2020 11:22 pm  #1927

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Those are some nice masks - Grand Rapids and Roseau in particular! Is Tim related to Boomer? (former Stars player and coach Matt Baumgartner)

Good catch, yeah Timothy is one of Matt's two sons, both played for the Stars

Glad you guys like the masks, I had a good time doing them and wouldn't mind doing some more teams if anyone wants to give me some suggestions for teams (to go with Thief River)

8/21/2020 2:11 am  #1928

Superior and La Crosse to begin for me please!  (After them, Eau Claire, River Falls, Chippewa Falls, and Menomonie would be cool too-but after Superior and La Crosse)

8/21/2020 11:09 am  #1929

I'm really liking these! I'd love to see a Grand Forks mask!

Last edited by ANDY! (8/21/2020 11:10 am)

8/21/2020 5:13 pm  #1930

1979 Kellogg Cup Final

1st Period
EDNA - 1
WSP   - 0

The Cake Eaters got on the board first in front of over 16,000 at a sold out St. Paul Civic Center. Cole Nanne was flying in the first, using his speed and skill to cause havoc in the Waves zone, ripping a shot from the slot that beat the WSP goalie five hole 6:28 into the game to put Edina in the lead.

2nd Period
EDNA - 4
WSP   - 0

Edina was doing anything they wanted in the second, completely dominating a very good West St. Paul team, pinning them in their zone for most of the period. When all the play happens in one side of the ice, that usually leads to quite a one sided shot total with the Cake Eaters outshooting the Waves 17-4 in the second period. There wasn't much that the West St. Paul goalkeeper could do to stave off the relentless Edina attack. Nanne netted his second of the game to make it 2-0. Edina scored on the very next shot to make it 3-0, and scored yet again with a minute and a half left in the period to make it a 4-0 lead heading into the final period of play. 

3rd Period
EDNA - 5
WSP   - 1

Edina was called for tripping to give the Waves a powerplay chance 5 minutes into the third. They set up the attack, really trying to just get pucks on net to see if anything good comes of it. A shot from the circle was stopped, but a Wave in front put home the rebound to get West St. Paul on the board and maybe give them a bit of momentum for a late comeback. Those dreams were quickly shattered by Edina's Nanne as he came out of his zone with speed, making a couple nifty dekes to get through the Wave defense for a breakaway that was capped off with a backhand deke that was roofed into the net to put the dagger in the hearts of Wave loyal. Cake Eater fans were more than happy to fling their hats on the ice to celebrate the hat trick for Nanne that all but won them the Cup with 10 minutes still to play. West St. Paul had nothing after the 5th goal for Edina and the Eaters were content just dumping the puck in and killing the clock. The final horn sounded and the Cake Eaters hurled themselves over the boards into a dog pile around their goalie. At long last, the Edina Cake Eaters are Kellogg Cup Champions, defeating West St. Paul by a final score of 5-1.

The Tschida Trophy was unsurprisingly given to Edina's Cole Nanne who was a force all season long, helping lead Edina through the playoffs capped off with a hat trick performance in the Kellogg Cup Final. This is Nanne's third time receiving the Tschida Trophy for MAHL MVP, tying his teammate and the other half of the two headed dragon Ben Hankinson for second place all time, only trailing Cloquet's Brady Millen (4).

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Board footera