Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2020 11:24 pm  #1711

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

One unrelated question:
Are there any places in Minnesota who have a sizable Asian population?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

6/21/2020 12:04 am  #1712

FC Macbeth wrote:

One unrelated question:

I believe the Minneapolis-St Paul Metro area has the largest population of Hmong refugees anywhere.

6/22/2020 5:01 pm  #1713

Steelman wrote:

Nice work on the new identities!

LOVE the winged Hussar shield look. I'm sad it's not on the white sweater at least. 

I like the name and logo for NStP. I think all the colors are fighting for dominance on the uniforms. My eyes don't know where to look. A simplification in the future would make this team look real sharp.

The Rapids look nice. Classy and simple.

The Trailblazers have a nice look, though definitely not exciting. The triangle-V feels more like a secondary logo to me but definitely a good start for them. I like the striping.

The Zephyrs' look is classic 70's-80's to me. Nicely done. I like the green and silver scheme.

Thank you!

I'm glad you like the logo, I definitely expect it to find its way to a jersey in the near future, I was kinda trying to just go with a simple look for their first uniforms and thought the monogram would work best.

Haha, that's kinda what I was going for with the Ramparts, I definitely think they will adjust the use of their colors in the future. Their colors were heavily inspired by DePaul.

That's what I was looking for, glad it showed!

I could see the Blazers switching it up quite a bit in the future, glad you like them.

Thank you, I was really happy with how the Zephs turned out.

ANDY! wrote:

I would consider the changes for the off-season a huge success. There was not a single change I didn't like, and I am in love with that new Jets look. If you have it ready, could I get an updated Grand Forks sig?

Thanks, here you go!

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Don’t tell me, is there gonna be an all Wisconsin league in the MAHL?! No way...

Think more along the lines of what the Southwest Hockey Association is to South Dakota

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Oh no, here we go again.

St. Paul - The rebels finally conformed. 

Blackduck - Give me more of that! Now give me a mallard head, as well! Great update.

Burnsville - Nooooo, well yes, but no. I will take that navy, it is ok, a sideways move. I just wish that the new logo focused more on wine. Don't they get that is what makes them unique?! The script is great, but I think it could use a color swap. Wine and navy look so much better together on the jerseys.

Grand Forks - Man, I loved that long boy jet they previously had. Idk why, but I am one to really favor less aggressive designs just because they feel unique. That being said, it was time for the GFJ to go. I like the new logo, even with the updated jet, and the jerseys are an upgrade.

New Hope - Always thought the puck circle was unnecessary, the stick and sword looks better by themselves.  Prefer their prior Buffalo inspired jersey.

St. Cloud - All around upgrade that was much needed. The SC looks good, and their jersey has some life now. Nice buckets.

Columbia Heights - Love the name and the CH logo, but I think the jerseys fall short. A little too simple. 

North St. Paul - This is probably my favorite new team. The N with the castle looks awesome, and I much prefer Ramparts over Castles. The colors are perfect, and the striping helps show that. The numbers seem out of place, though.

River Falls - This team stands out with the jersey sleeves staying the same, all while looking completely different. I think the logo looks good, but it seems very tiny on the jersey.

Vermillion - Perfect modern logo that is also so simple. Like a modern classic for the time that could stay around for awhile. Jerseys are nice, no complaints.

Worthington - The flying W looks awesome. I was not convinced at first, but it is charming. I am not sold on the green/gray on the home, but think it looks better with the addition of white.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like them.

For Burnsville I will say that they will be embracing wine more for sure, making their away wine was the first step in that direction.

For Columbia Heights, simple was kinda the look I was going for so I'll take it. I wanted their first jerseys to be a little simple so I did a basic stripe style and just used the monogram.

FC Macbeth wrote:

One unrelated question:

St. Paul is the biggest one with almost 20% of residents being of Asian descent. As sportsfan7 mentioned, the Twin Cities Metro has some of the highest numbers of Asian Immigrants in the US, particularly Hmong coming from Southeast Asia

6/22/2020 5:56 pm  #1714

1977/78 Regular Season - North

For the first time in their 24 year history, the Little Falls Pilots are Granite Hockey League Champions! There was no real front runner this season as all of the top four teams had all been in first at one point in the season. The Pilots pulled in front at the end on a 6 game winning streak to steal the title from Alexandria who finished 1 tie behind in second. The Bearcats were a consistent contender all season, settling for third in the end while keeping the Chunk of Granite. Rounding out the big four this season was Brainerd who got off to an incredible start to the season, but began to fade off near the end. It will be interesting to see how the Jacks do come playoff time. On the outside looking in were the Bulldogs who came out of nowhere to have their best season to date, finishing above .500 for the first time. Behind the Dogs were the weather boys, the Cyclones and Storm. There was once again a bit of a drop for the final two with Princeton finishing ahead of the Dalas.

Virginia came flying right out of the gates to the surprise of many. The group of primarily rookies and sophomores was expected to be a middle of the pack team this season, but the Royals just clicked, earning themselves their first IRHL title in a decade, also bringing the Quad City Trophy home for the 8th time, becoming the team to do so the most, 8th happens to also be where they are ranked at the end of the season. The Trout remained a contender this season, losing out on back to back titles by 2 games. They did manage to keep the Ax as well as be ranked 12th. The Cougars also took home a top 20 ranking at 18, Mountain Iron is beginning to emerge as a bit of a contender in the Iron Range, quieting a lot of the "Little Brother" chants Eveleth and Virginia throw their way. It was an all out war for the four spot with Chisholm finally proving themselves, beating out the Moose, the back to back Kellogg Cup champs from Eveleth, and the Greyhounds. All of whom were within 4 games of that playoff birth. The bottom three this year were the Black Bears, Miners, and Kellys. Ely's lone bright spot on the season was taking back the Miners Hard Hat.

Thunder Bay continued to build on their nice playoff run a year ago, really coming into their own as a big, physical smash mouth hockey team. This type of play clearly worked as they cinched their 14th league crown as well as the 3rd overall rank in the MAHL. Guess who's back? After losing the face of their franchise in Brady Millen to the St. Louis Blues, the Broncos dropped off the map, falling all the way to the bottom of the league in 74 and 75. That all changed this season as a young Cloquet team began winning games they weren't supposed to. This kept going until it became the regular, Cloquet is back, winning the Skate for the first time ever, ending the Voyageurs 8 year run as well as being ranked 20th. Silver Bay and the Voyageurs rounded out the playoff teams with Grand Marais just barely missing out. Hermantown had their best season to date, finishing .500 and even beating out classic LSHL powers in the Hornets and Lakers. Two Harbors just looks old and slow, desperate for a new group of youth players to step up. The Spikes finished in the basement, winning only a handful of games, but competing in them.

This is a make or break year for the Barbarians with their core in the prime of their careers. The Barbs were an offensive machine out there, well deserving of the second rank in the MAHL at the end of the season. This is Steinbach's second Northland Hockey League title, the Barbarians also took home the Maple Leaf for the 6th consecutive season. Warroad dropped to second but don't let that fool you into thinking they got worse. The Lakers are just as potent if not more so than a season ago. The Lakers kept the Bell and took home the 7 rank in the MAHL. Both Winnipeg and Bemidji also finished in the top 20, showing just how competitive the Northland truly is. There truly wasn't a "bad" team in the NLHL this year, with the rest of the pack all capable of winning on any given day. This led to it being incredibly close in the standings, Kenora had their best year to date, but missed out on the playoffs. Roseau and Fort Frances were both playoff caliber teams that finished around 500. International Falls was also very solid, even winning back the Can-Am Cup for the 2nd time in the last 10 years. It was Baudette and Blackduck who unfortunately just couldn't string together enough wins, finishing in the basement.

It was a year to remember for the new look Jets who had their most dominant season ever, even finishing ranked 5th. Grand Forks was incredibly skilled, but also physical, playing in a way that allowed them to take over and win. The Jets went 3/3 this season on trophies and awards winning the Giant Fork, the Nodak Cup, and the Red River Hockey League. It was also a very good year for the Fargo Titans who finished in 2nd and are ranked 16th. Detroit Lakes proved that last season wasn't a fluke, keeping up with the top dogs and finishing in 3rd. Thief River punched their ticket back into the playoffs this year, flying under the radar all year and winding up inside the top 4. Crookston had the talent, they just failed to make it work, finishing in 5th. The big story this season was the fall of the Pointers. EGF won the RRHL only a season ago, but dropped to sixth this season with no real explanation as to why. The team was more or less the same as last year, only making a couple changes here and there. There weren't any big injuries or illnesses, the Pointers just lost whatever "it factor" they had in years past. Moorhead had a solid start to the year, looking like they could fight for a playoff spot, but then they began to fall apart as the year went on, finishing only ahead of Pelican Rapids who is still trying to find their footing in the league.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

6/22/2020 7:38 pm  #1715

My thought on three teams that shocks me.

Sauk Rapids Bulldogs: Close but no cigar but I have a feeling this team is breaking through and will finally at last make it to their first playoffs.

Grand Forks Jets: Taking 1st place in the RRHL is one thing but winning both The Gaint Fork and the Nodak Cup that should rank them in the top 3 instead of being rank number 5.

Eveleth Redbirds: From winning back to back titles to being out of the playoffs, I'm worried that this team would hit rock bottom next year, here's hope that they keep it together before they pull the rebuild trigger.

6/22/2020 8:13 pm  #1716

1. How the mighty Redbirds have fallen...the team with the most Kellogg Cups now has the more dubious distinction of being the first team in 60 years to miss the playoffs the year after winning the Kellogg Cup (The previous team to do that was the 1918 Eveleth Rangers).
2. Also the first time EGF has ever missed the playoffs...impressive that they made it for so many years in a row to begin (which is what's made the Giant Fork one of the best rivalry series in the MAHL)
3. Nice to see Cloquet finally make it back to the playoffs, and also nice to see Little Falls finally win the Granite (Sauk Rapids on the verge brings plenty of hope too).

Ready to see how the other regions do...

6/22/2020 8:28 pm  #1717

Wow I was not expecting this success from Grand Forks, but I will not complain. I think the new look will bring in a new era of dominance for the Jets. 

6/23/2020 9:56 pm  #1718

1977/78 Regular Season - Twin Cities

It was a very strange season in the East Metro with the inclusion of 3 new teams to make the league a whopping 14 teams. Many of the more established teams in the league were not happy with the increasing size of the league. Rivalries such as the Battle for the Barrel were only seen three times this season with the Retrievers winning back the Barrel on goals scored with the teams tying the season series 1-1-1. White Bear gets a pretty good consolation prize in another EMHL title as well as a number 6 rank in the MAHL. The Polka came out of nowhere this season to make their first playoff birth in team history. Stillwater makes their return to the post season, ending a 4 year drought. With the sheer amount of teams, a lot of playoff caliber teams missed out on a playoff birth, teams such as Eau Claire, Mounds View, Roseville, Lake Elmo, and Fridley all put together respectable seasons. It was a rough year for Little Canada who dropped below 500. It was also rough for the expansion teams who all finished in the bottom 4, joined only by Shoreview.

The Anoka Warriors are your North Metro Hockey League champions, clinching the crown for the first time in franchise history. NMHL mainstays Osseo were not far behind in second. Brooklyn Park finally were able to connect all the pieces to achieve their potential, earning a third place finish. Rounding out the top four are the Bandits who make their return after a pair of seasons missing out. Wayzata and Elk River remained floating right around that playoff bubble, just failing to get in. Plymouth and Golden Valley both had shocking declines from a season ago. Plymouth in particular had a horrible season as the Militia were expected to at least finish in the top 4, but instead came in 7th. New Hope had their best season to date, moving past Blaine and their rivals from Crystal who came in last for the 4th time in the last 5 years.

The Waves reign supreme once more! West St. Paul was just a great unit out there, well deserving of the 4th overall rank in the MAHL as they cruise to their first TCHL title since 1956, keeping the wood slab with a season sweep of the Mavericks in the process. Swooping into the playoffs for the first time in the second spot in the league are the Flying Aces. Despite their impressive season, the ranking committee decided to rank the third place St. Paul Victorias ahead of Highland Park in a highly controversial decision that some Aces fans are saying shows the media's bias for the V's. To the Victorias credit, they did manage to win both the Veterans Cup and the Milk Jug along with the fact they have more playoff experience. Rounding out the playoff teams are the third team from St. Paul to punch their ticket. Como had another solid all around season, managing to beat out the Mavericks at the end of the year to slip into fourth to make their second playoff appearance. It was a disaster of a season for two of the MAHL's most dominant teams as of recent years. Both the Vulcans and Millers suffered major setbacks this season, dropping considerably in the standings as they both miss the playoffs. This is the first time ever that both the Millers and Vulcans have both missed the playoffs (including when Minneapolis was combined and known as the Minneapolis Hockey Club). Many are calling for the Vulcans to revert back to the "Twin Cities" moniker, calling the name change a curse, the team has refused to comment on the St. Anthony-Twin Cities name debate. One bright spot for the boys in red was that they kept the Holy War Trophy, mainly thanks to the fact that the Saints had their worst season in franchise history, finishing behind the Bakers, but ahead of the Raptors.

"It is now or never for the Cake Eaters" is a phrase that many have been saying for years now, but it is becoming more and more real this year with the two headed dragon of Nanne and Hankinson getting into their 30's and the team surrounding them bolstering up to create arguably the best team in MAHL history according to some. Edina was ranked number 1 for nearly the entire season, going 27-1-2 on the year and claiming the Megaphone in its first year. The West Metro was once again a bloodbath with two more playoff teams being ranked with Minnetonka in second ranked 9th and Richfield in third ranked 14th. There is a new face in the four spot with Mound putting their nose to the grindstone to fight their way into the playoffs for the first time in Marauders history. St. Louis Park was also in contention, dropping off a bit near the end of the year. West was just inconsistent, on some nights they looked unbeatable, but on others they couldn't seem to make a pass. Hopkins and Bloomington both finished with losing records, this was especially tough on the Bears who had managed to reach the post season the last 4 years. Eden Prairie just can't seem to keep up with the bigger cities around them, finishing in last once again.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

6/23/2020 10:34 pm  #1719

OH MY OH MY...in addition to the third-longest active playoff streak coming to an end, for the first time in MAHL history, both of the teams who played in the Kellogg Cup Final have missed the playoffs the following year. (The times they are a'changing indeed!)

Welcome back to the playoffs, Stillwater, Brooklyn Park, Coon Rapids and Como-and congrats to New Brighton, Mound and Highland Park on their first-ever playoff berths!  I'm ready to learn how to do the Playoff Polka, and also to follow the Aces all throughout their playoff flight (Them getting outranked by the V's sounds like something that would happen to one of Charlie Brown's teams-here's hoping they have more success though).

Last thought: I'm already ready for next offseason and for the changes coming therein, where some of the East Metro congestion will hopefully be alleviated.

6/23/2020 11:43 pm  #1720

I’m thoroughly ready to watch TRF get ousted round 1 again! Plus, let’s all cup our mouths, and boo the Cake Eaters! All the trust funds finding ways to pay for talent!

Plus, we’re nearing new equipment! Can someone say...Cooperalls?!

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (6/23/2020 11:43 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera