Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2020 11:46 am  #1571

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I’m not sure if this is just a one off comment, but the number of Stanley Cups a state has doesn’t validate their tier of hockey. The entirety of Canada has not won a Stanley Cup for almost 30 years, but I wouldn’t say the USA has taken the title of “The Hockey Nation”. The NHL actually does very little to reflect what a region is worth to the sport. I mean the St. Louis Blues had a handful of Americans during their cup run and 1 was miraculously from St. Louis, but by no means is that a hockey state. Will say the St. Louis Jr. Blues are an impressive youth organization though, despite a lot of their kids being scouted to play from other places.

Yes, the US may have more recent champions but that doesn't mean Canada sucks at hockey 

This doesn't seem to apply to Section 30's MAHL, and may be better suited for the General Discussion section of the boards to discuss.

In my defense, both have to do with the state of Minnesota and Hockey

6/01/2020 12:05 pm  #1572

Rugrat wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

Yes, the US may have more recent champions but that doesn't mean Canada sucks at hockey 

This doesn't seem to apply to Section 30's MAHL, and may be better suited for the General Discussion section of the boards to discuss.

Objection! Your defense falls on the fact that while this is involving the state and sport, it does not deal with the subject matter here, which is the Minnesota Amateur Hockey League.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/01/2020 12:11 pm  #1573

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Some facts on the 1956 Mavericks and the 1976 Foxes...

The Austin Mavericks finished 2nd in the Valley League in 1956 and were seeded 12th in a 24-team field with no regional play.
The Fridley Foxes finished 3rd in the East Metro League in 1976, were not in the top 20 going into the playoffs, and were seeded 13th in the 16-team Twin Cities regional bracket.

Austin was favoured to beat 21st-ranked South St. Paul in the Knockout Round in 1956, then upset 8th-ranked Bemidji, top-ranked St. Cloud (who won the Granite League that year), 6th-ranked Thunder Bay (who won the Lake Superior League that year) and 2nd-ranked West St. Paul (who won the Twin Cities League that year), in that order, en route to the Kellogg Cup.

Fridley has not gone into any of their six playoff games as the favourites - they upset the #11 Millers and #13 Minnetonka (the 1976 West Metro champions) en route to the Super Series, where they have also upset #7 Edina, #6 Winnipeg and the #1-ranked Twin Cities Vulcans (the 1976 Twin Cities champions), and now, they just have to upset #3 Eveleth (the 1976 Iron Range champions) and then they can hoist Senator Kellogg's Cup.

If you ask me, I think that both runs have been equally as impressive. Fridley has upset five top-20 teams (two of them league champions) and only have to beat a sixth (also a league champion) to win the Cup, while Austin went into the first round in 1956 as the favourites over a non-top 20 team (mind you this was before power rankings were even a thing) then proceeded to upset four top-10 teams (three of them league champions) en route to the Cup. (Fridley has three upsets over top-10 teams so far, all in the Super Series.)

And, finally, Fridley is the first of the 21 1972 expansion teams to make it to the Kellogg Cup Final - a few of their expansion brethren have also made it to the Super Series, but none of them have made it this far until now. (1956 was Austin's seventh year in the MAHL, and they were not born out of a mass expansion [3 teams joined the MAHL in 1950], but they did help form the Valley League.)

In closing...
DO IT, FRIDLEY! MAKE MINNESOTA PROUD!

THIS.  Ready to see some history made, so that positivity will shine throughout this thread.

6/01/2020 12:15 pm  #1574

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Objection! Your defense falls on the fact that while this is involving the state and sport, it does not deal with the subject matter here, which is the Minnesota Amateur Hockey League.

Sustained...as he is a mod, let's now leave the matter to Section30 himself to settle.

6/01/2020 12:30 pm  #1575

Rugrat wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Ok Dr Phil

6/01/2020 1:52 pm  #1576

Rugrat wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

Ok Dr Phil

The name is Miles Edgeworth, the occupation is prosecutor. Know the facts before attempting the witty response.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/01/2020 2:03 pm  #1577

Rugrat wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

While I don’t mind cutting out the conversation, I don’t think it caused anything to hit such an abrupt stop. Just to challenge you here, Prosecutor, there has been posts in the thread regarding NHL updates that Section30 and others have done, making an argument that there is a loose connection to the league that has been acknowledged. In my opinion, Rugrat’s post should be deemed acceptable because others have posted about the NHL in the past. All in good fun btw!

6/01/2020 3:06 pm  #1578

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

While I don’t mind cutting out the conversation, I don’t think it caused anything to hit such an abrupt stop. Just to challenge you here, Prosecutor, there has been posts in the thread regarding NHL updates that Section30 and others have done, making an argument that there is a loose connection to the league that has been acknowledged. In my opinion, Rugrat’s post should be deemed acceptable because others have posted about the NHL in the past. All in good fun btw!

6/01/2020 3:59 pm  #1579

I don't have a whole lot to say on the matter mentioned above, I am ok with talk of the NHL and such, but I would prefer that discussion reguarding the NHL be in relation to the MAHL (Former MAHL player in the league, updates of the North Stars and Jets, etc.)

6/01/2020 4:52 pm  #1580

1976 Kellogg Cup Final

1st Period
EVE - 1
FRI - 0

Met Center was buzzing with anticipation as one of the winningest teams in MAHL history looked to claim sole possession of the most Kellogg Cups of any team, and the other was looking to shock the world by coming out of nowhere to claim their first Cup. Eveleth started off the game strong and physical, throwing their bodies around and setting the tone for the rest of the game. The Redbirds were on the rush, firing a shot from the top of the circle that was denied by the Fridley goalie. The rebound was gathered by a Fox, but he decided to try and force a pass through the middle of the zone. The pass was picked off by a Redbird in the slot who took a quick shot that beat the goalie blocker side to give Eveleth a 1-0 lead.

2nd Period
EVE - 1
FRI - 0

The second was a bit of a change of pace from the first, with the game slowing down a considerable amount. Whistles made it impossible for either side to get any momentum going. The second ended the same as it began with Eveleth leading 1-0.

3rd Period
EVE - 2
FRI - 1

The Redbirds were quick to extend their lead to 2 in the third, striking just 1:03 into the period to make it a 2-0 game in Bloomington. It was looking bad for Fridley down two in the third with Eveleth carrying play. The Foxes needed a bounce to go their way and luckily for them that is exactly what happened. A pass from the corner in the Eveleth zone took a deflection off a Redbirds skate and towards goal. The deflection caught the goalie by surprise as the puck got past him before he even knew what happened. The arena erupted and the Fridley bench went nuts as they made it a one goal game once again. Despite their best efforts, Fridley was really unable to do anything for the remainder of the game. Eveleth changed up their game plan and it obviously worked as Fridley only managed 5 more shots on goal, all from bad angles. The final horn sounded and Eveleth poured over the boards, flinging their gear in the air on their way to their goaltender to celebrate. The Eveleth Redbirds are your 1976 Kellogg Cup Champions. This is the Redbirds 6th Cup to date, becoming the winningest team in MAHL history.

The Tschida Trophy for league MVP was awarded to Fridley goalie Michael Dahlquist for leading the Foxes on a playoff run to remember, bringing the unranked team all the way to the Kellogg Cup Final.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Board footera