Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2020 11:54 pm  #1471

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

It was about time the Big 4 to break up. In the words of Steve Dangle, “Welp, time for a rebuild.”

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/19/2020 3:45 pm  #1472

1975/76 Regular Season - Twin Cities

"The Rivalry", as it is becoming known as in the East Metro, was a sight to behold this year as the Retrievers and Braves both had very good hockey teams and games between the two were always a sight to behold. The season came down to rivalry week with the Retrievers and Braves tied atop the league with their season series also tied at one. The winner of the final game of the season would not only win the league, but also the Wooden Barrel. The Goldies went on to win 3-2 in front of nearly 4,000 at Aldrich Arena to claim their second league crown and the Barrel for the first time. After the game the Retrievers took their time soaking up the victory, skating around the ice carrying the Wooden Barrel high above their heads. After the top two there was a bit of a drop in the standings with Fridley and Lake Elmo finding their way to the playoffs. It was quite an impressive season by the Bluejays moving all the way into the playoffs in only their second season. Eau Claire, Mounds View and Little Canada all were good this season as well, just unable to put it together for long enough to clinch the post season. Roseville, New Brighton and Stillwater all had losing seasons, but they weren't the worst. Meanwhile the Pike continue to struggle, winning only 4 games all year and only tying 5 more.

Elk River continues to improve and shock the league, winning their first league title in only their third season, beating out perennial top teams in the league Osseo and Golden Valley who finished in second and third. It was a battle between two rivals for the final playoff spot with Anoka passing and knocking out the Bandits with a 6 game win streak to end the season, ending Coon Rapids 4 year playoff streak and adding more fuel to this rivalry. Wayzata, Plymouth and Blaine all floated up and down the standings this year, being good but inconsistent and failing to make the playoffs. Brooklyn Park continues to shake their heads in confusion as to why they are underachieving to such a great degree. The Panthers were considered a contender for the league title when the season began, but they just couldn't get anything going this year, finishing only ahead of the lowly Colts and Raiders.

The new look Vulcans appear to be emerging as a new Super Power in the MAHL, thoroughly dominating the stacked Twin Cities Hockey League this season, only losing 4 games all year to earn the top ranking in the league. Behind the boys in red are the V's and Millers who both put together notable seasons in their own rights. Coming in fourth is West St. Paul ending an 8 year playoff drought. Perhaps the highlight of the season for the Waves though was not only returning to the playoffs, but sweeping their arch rivals South St. Paul 4 games to none to win back the Wood Slab after 9 long years. Highland Park was ever so close to breaking through, only missing out by one win. SSP had a very disappointing season by their standards, getting swept by the Waves and falling from a first place finish a season ago to 6th this year. The Bakers had a solid season, finishing just under .500, things are finally beginning to look up for the Doughboys with a few up and comers coming into form this year. The Saints continue to dip, struggling to keep their top players with new teams in St. Paul. People are beginning to lose interest in being a member of the athletic club when there's a team in their neighborhood and it is hurting the Saints. Como had a season to forget, struggling to get on their feet with players constantly out with injuries and illness. The Lions just couldn't get into a rhythm and it cost them as they finished only ahead of the Raptors.

We have a new champion in the West for the first time ever. Minnetonka came flying out nowhere a season ago to make their first ever playoff appearance and they one upped themselves this year by managing to surpass the Cake Eaters on their way to their first West Metro Hockey League title. Despite this, the Cake Eaters still finished higher in the final MAHL rankings coming in at 7th to Minnetonka's 13th. Most people still consider Edina to be one of the favorites to win it all this year with Hankinson and Nanne leading the way. Bloomington remained in third with Hopkins coming in fourth for their first playoff birth in franchise history. As always the West is very close and hard fought, this year it was Bloomington West, Richfield, and St. Louis Park that were left out despite being playoff caliber teams. Mound did better than expected in their first season which isn't saying much as they only beat out the Pumas who had another rough season in EP.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

5/19/2020 3:51 pm  #1473

Looks like in the East Metro, you transposed La Crosse in for Eau Claire in the final couple sentences.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/19/2020 3:57 pm  #1474

The Bakers are starting to cook! Feeling good about this. *Calls up Vegas and places $1 on the 1 to 1,000,000 odds of the Bakers winning the MAHL next season*

5/19/2020 4:08 pm  #1475

Who and how much did Edina pay to be above ‘Tonka?!?!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/19/2020 4:25 pm  #1476

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Looks like in the East Metro, you transposed La Crosse in for Eau Claire in the final couple sentences.

All those Wisconsin teams blend together lol, thanks for pointing that out I fixed it!

5/19/2020 5:20 pm  #1477

Any chance for a team in Iowa in the future?

5/19/2020 7:19 pm  #1478

Rugrat wrote:

The MAHL already has three Iowa teams (the Mason City Musicians, Sioux City Shockers and Spirit Lake Stampeders).

Is there any other Iowa cities you'd like to eventually join? (I've still got a couple Wisconsin cities I'm thinking about, even with the three teams we got already)

Last edited by Burmy87 (5/19/2020 7:24 pm)

5/19/2020 8:14 pm  #1479

Burmy87 wrote:

Rugrat wrote:

The MAHL already has three Iowa teams (the Mason City Musicians, Sioux City Shockers and Spirit Lake Stampeders).

Is there any other Iowa cities you'd like to eventually join? (I've still got a couple Wisconsin cities I'm thinking about, even with the three teams we got already)

I know it wasn't directed at me, but I can think of 3 cities in Iowa that could support teams. Waterloo is fairly large and a similar distance from MN as Sioux City. Right next to Waterloo is Cedar Falls, home to UNI, which also has a nice sized population. A bit of a stretch, but I think Fort Dodge could work as well. It's about midway between Waterloo and Sioux City. My only problem with it is what league it would go in. I've also been thinking about expansion for cities in other states nearby.

Last edited by sportsfan7 (5/19/2020 8:44 pm)

5/19/2020 10:24 pm  #1480

I do have plans to still add more teams in Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

I will say that despite their size, I think that Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Fort Dodge are all too far from other teams in the MAHL. It would take almost 3 hours for Red Wing to make the trip to Waterloo and it'd be even farther for teams in the Southwest.

Like I said, there will be more teams from out of Minnesota, but they will be a little closer to existing teams and maybe not quite as big.

Last edited by Section30 (5/19/2020 10:25 pm)

Board footera