Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2020 9:30 pm  #1291

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

'74 just keeps on being one of the most interesting seasons yet...already we got three first-timers in the Super Series!

Ready to see how this unfolds (of course, I feel this is a prime opportunity for my Brewers to make a statement...we're gonna make bratwurst out of these Hogs!)

Last edited by Burmy87 (4/22/2020 9:30 pm)

4/23/2020 9:05 am  #1292

Fargo and Eveleth as 13 and 15 seeds make the Super Series, yet the Governors can't even beat those pesky Brewers one time.

4/23/2020 10:36 am  #1293

Maybe the Governors just don't matchup with the Brewers well? Or maybe the Brewers are just better? I bet it's the second one.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/23/2020 5:52 pm  #1294

Burmy87 wrote:

'74 just keeps on being one of the most interesting seasons yet...already we got three first-timers in the Super Series!

Ready to see how this unfolds (of course, I feel this is a prime opportunity for my Brewers to make a statement...we're gonna make bratwurst out of these Hogs!)

JamHeronArk wrote:

Fargo and Eveleth as 13 and 15 seeds make the Super Series, yet the Governors can't even beat those pesky Brewers one time.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Maybe the Governors just don't matchup with the Brewers well? Or maybe the Brewers are just better? I bet it's the second one.

It was a bit interesting seeing so many low seeds make it and to have 3 new teams in the Super Series.

As for the Brewers dominance over the Govs, I'm not really sure what's up with that. A perfect 4-0 against St. Peter with all their games coming in the last 8 years. This is becoming one of the bigger non league rivalries, so far a very one sided one though.

4/23/2020 6:17 pm  #1295

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - Twin Cities

Edina Cake Eaters vs Coon Rapids Bandits
It was once again the Edina show at Braemar Arena as the Cake Eaters barreled their way through the Bandits. A hat trick from Nanne would be the highlight of this one sided affair as Edina advances with a convincing 5-1 win.

White Bear Lake Braves vs Bloomington Bears
The first was slow and scoreless, as was most of the second, but a Braves goal with 2:06 to go. That late period goal would transfer to momentum as we began the third. Bloomington was overwhelmed and was forced into making mistakes that costed them. An ill advised pass through the slot was intercepted and popped home. Then later in the period a Bear was caught from behind by a Brave who picked his pocket, keeping the puck in the offensive zone and dishing it to a teammate for a one timer to extend their lead to 3. Bloomington would be unable to find the back of the net in this one, falling by a final score of 3-0 and sending White Bear Lake to their first Super Series.

South St. Paul Mavericks vs Bloomington West Terriers
Both offenses were on display in this one as the Mavs and Terriers combined for 9 goals. The total was 8 when the clock expired in the third, both teams having scored 4. To overtime we went to decide who would get number 9. West had a good look that was stopped by the Maverick goalie. The Mavs gathered and went the other way. The puck carrier chipped it off the boards and behind a defenseman, flying in with speed now on a 2 on 1. The other defender took away the pass leaving it up to his goalie to make the save. The Maverick winger was flying in on goal with speed. He slammed the breaks in front of the crease and sprayed snow, while stopping he fired the puck on goal. The goalie was able to get a piece of the shot, but it still managed to trickle past the goal line to send South St. Paul to the Super Series.

St. Paul Saints vs Richfield Roosters
The Coliseum was rocking as the puck was dropped for the Saints-Roosters section final. Neither team is known for their offensive potency, and it became clear that a goal was going to be huge in this one. St. Paul came close to scoring in the first, but missed the net by a few inches. Richfield would break the deadlock early in the third, silencing the hometown crowd. The Halos gave it their best effort in the final minutes, but they just couldn't solve the Rooster goalkeeper. The final horn sounded, sending Richfield to their first Super Series. One might even say that Richfield cock blocked the Saints.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/23/2020 9:15 pm  #1296

Soon Bandits, soon.

4/24/2020 4:09 pm  #1297

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - South

Sioux Falls Packers vs La Crosse Brewers
La Crosse made the long trek west to South Dakota to face off with the Packers. Sioux Falls jumped out to an early lead, building on it to lead 2-0 after 1. La Crosse would be the first to score in the second, but the Hogs got one right back to tie it up. A powerplay goal in the third made it nearly impossible for a Brewer comeback, down 4-1, and despite a late push that managed to get them on the board it would not be enough. Sioux Falls is returning to Bloomington as they look for their first Kellogg Cup.

Sioux City Shockers vs Northfield Outlaws
It was a defensive duel in this one as the Shockers and Outlaws held each other off the board for most of the game. Sioux City finally broke the deadlock 4:52 into the third. That goal would prove to be the game winner as Northfield was unable to get on the board. Sioux City returns to the Super Series with a 1-0 win over the champs of the Valley.

Mankato Moose vs Cottage Grove Yellow Jackets
Upset Alert! The heavy favorites from Mankato were upset by the Cottage Grove Yellow Jackets by a score of 3-1. Mankato came into the playoffs with their best roster possibly ever, even winning the Blue Earth, but when it came down to it they were just unable to get past the Jackets. Cottage Grove were major underdogs despite winning their league, so to see them not only win but outplay Mankato turned some heads. Cottage Grove is headed to the Super Series, this is the first time a team from the South Metro Hockey League has made it.

New Ulm Bavarians vs Rochester Mustangs
One of the biggest non league rivalries was reborn in New Ulm as the Bavarians and Mustangs prepare to battle for the first time in 9 years. Despite it being nearly a decade since these two were in the peak of their rivalry, the hate is still there on both sides, and with the winner headed to the Super Series, tensions were at an all time high. It was a low scoring affair, scoreless through two. Rochester got on the board a couple minutes into the third to take the lead. New Ulm remained collected and converted on an odd man rush to tie it up at 1. The horn sounded and we went to overtime where things remained as tight as could be. There weren't many scoring opportunities in the first overtime, but it was a very physical period of hockey with some cheap shots going uncalled for both sides, the refs seemed to be content with letting these two battle it out. 7 minutes into the second overtime period Rochester was given a powerplay. The Stangs set up in the diamonds zone, but a pass was intercepted and dumped all the way down. A Rochester defenseman went back to retrieve it, but he didn't see a Bavarian forward booking it full speed along the boards into the zone as well. The Mustang picked up the puck and turned towards his goal to skate back, but as he turned he was bodied by the Bavarian, knocking him down and picking up the puck. He picked up the puck and slid into the slot, ripping a shot hard and low into the bottom corner of the net, winning the game for New Ulm with a shorty in double overtime to advance to the Super Series.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/24/2020 4:09 pm  #1298

1974 Super Series Bracket

Last edited by Section30 (4/24/2020 4:09 pm)

4/24/2020 4:21 pm  #1299

Well cluck me, the Roosters are on to the exclusive ball at the Met! Look at that, we have the Pack too. This postseason isn't awful for me at all. I want a Falls vs City match, that would be fun.

Seemed like there were a lot of expected upsets by fans this go around after seeing last season. Happy to see the 1 seeds prove that there is reasoning for the rankings, taking care of business with ease. Cake Eaters may make an appearance in the finals this year, but they have a very large hump to get over.

4/24/2020 6:08 pm  #1300

Really entertaining playoffs so far, tons of underdogs indeed!  While I doubt that'll continue, I could totally see either Fargo, Eveleth, or C-G winning entry into the Quarterfinals.  Picking Warroad vs. Sioux Falls for the finals, thinking this time Sioux Falls will win it all.

Board footera