Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2020 9:09 am  #1111

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

Take That, Hornets!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

3/24/2020 1:39 pm  #1112

New user here. Made an account just to say I really enjoy the hardworking you're doing. Winona native here and I think the Wildcats are a pretty solid representation of things. Can I get a Wildcats sig?

I might screw around and start doing a sports league myself. Thanks for inspiring. Can't wait to see what the rest of the series looks like.

3/24/2020 4:28 pm  #1113

HWULA wrote:

New user here. Made an account just to say I really enjoy the hardworking you're doing. Winona native here and I think the Wildcats are a pretty solid representation of things. Can I get a Wildcats sig?

I might screw around and start doing a sports league myself. Thanks for inspiring. Can't wait to see what the rest of the series looks like.

Thank you, welcome aboard!

3/24/2020 4:42 pm  #1114

HWULA wrote:

Welcome! Love seeing a lurker dive into the community. You’ll find it’s a lot more fun participating with all of us. I like your team choice, you’re really playing that underdog role!

3/24/2020 4:51 pm  #1115

1972 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round Day 2 - Twin Cities

Edina Cake Eaters vs Roseville Rockets
Down go the Cake Eaters! The 2nd seeded team in the south is done after only one game, falling to a Roseville team making their first playoff appearance. Everyone had already written off the Rockets, and why wouldn't they? Roseville hasn't exactly been a powerhouse in their 10 year history, compared to Edina who many had as their favorites to win it all this year. On paper this one looked done before it began, but that is why you need to play the games. Edina seemed lackadaisical, almost uninterested in the game at hand, as though they were already thinking about the Super Series. Roseville made them pay, jumping out to a 3-1 lead after 2. The Cake Eaters seemed to finally realize what was happening when it was too late, turning it on in the final 5 minutes and bringing them to within one, but the Rockets managed to clear the puck down ice over and over again, killing the clock until the final horn sounded. The Roseville Rockets have done the impossible, upsetting Edina by a final score of 3-2.

Maplewood Retrievers vs St. Paul Saints
Green and Red were the colors to wear in this matchup between these neighbors. The Retrievers found the back of the net first, but St. Paul tied it up shortly after. The second was scoreless with little going on and we went to the third tied at 1. Things began to turn in favor of Maplewood in the third, with the Retrievers exposing the Saints defense for a nifty passing play leading to a go ahead goal midway through the third. St. Paul pulled their goalie late in the game but turned the puck over, allowing a Retriever to pop it in the empty net, clinching Maplewood's first playoff victory by a score of 3-1.

St. Paul Victorias vs Stillwater Volunteers
The V's are back, showing why they were given the 3 seed, thoroughly outplaying the Vols for 3 periods. St. Paul got on the board in all three periods, striking twice in the second. Meanwhile Stillwater was able to make do with what little chances they had, converting on a breakaway in the first and a powerplay in the third. It wouldn't be nearly enough though as the Victorias controlled play for nearly the whole game, finding themselves victorious by a score of 4-2.

Richfield Roosters vs Brooklyn Park Panthers
The two best expansion teams of the first year were put head to head in round one in a game that lived up to the hype. The Cocks and Panthers exchanged blows back and forth, lighting the lamp a combined 8 times during regulation, sending us to overtime with the score tied 4-4. Overtime started and the offense didn't slow down with the Roosters winning the draw and immediately going on the offensive. They dropped the puck at the point for their defenseman who picked it up with momentum. He skated down towards the goal line, dishing a backhand pass through the slot. The pass was tipped by his teammate, redirecting it on goal. The shot was saved but the rebound dropped at the Brooklyn Park goalies feet and was quickly poked at by a Rooster, pushing it just hard enough for it to carry past the goal line, sending Richfield to to the second round with a thrilling 5-4 overtime win.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

3/25/2020 12:05 pm  #1116

Way to go ROCKETS!  First playoff game in team history, and you made it COUNT...that showdown with Maplewood will be a dandy.

Lovely game between Richfield and Brooklyn Park too...I expect both teams will be powers in the years to come.

3/25/2020 4:02 pm  #1117

1972 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round Day 2 - South

Sioux Falls Packers vs Cottage Grove Yellow Jackets
Cottage Grove received a rough welcome to playoff hockey, getting throttled in The Slaughterhouse by Sioux Falls. The Hogs were about as dominant as they could be in this one, outshooting the Jackets 44-7 and winning by a final score of 5-0.

Sioux City Shockers vs Apple Valley Cardinals
Despite putting up an impressive inaugural season, Apple Valley was not nearly as battle tested against top teams and this became apparent early on in this one. The Shockers were arguably better than any team the Cardinals have played to this point and AV looked lost out on the ice, chasing the puck carrier and just playing sloppy hockey. Sioux City was toying with the Cards, playing keep away in the offensive zone and getting chance after chance. The final horn sounded and the scoreboard reflected the play on the ice with the Shockers up 4-1, sending them to the second round.

Rochester Mustangs vs Austin Mavericks
It was a Valley Hockey League rivalry at Graham Arena. The champs welcomed the Mavs back to the post season with fast paced, physical hockey. The Stangs broke through in the second to break the deadlock, but Austin tied it up with just over a minute to go in the second. The third came and went with no score so we went to overtime in Rochester. It was a close game, but the Mustangs had been the better team for most of play and that continued in ot. Rochester entered the Maverick zone with numbers, dishing the puck to a winger who fired a quick shot that beat the goalie over the shoulder, sending the Mustangs to the second round.

St. Peter Governors vs Red Wing Chiefs
Red Wing got on the board at the end of the first, building off the momentum going into the period break and scoring again in the second. The Govs put a few solid minutes together past the midway point of the second, managing to set up a tap in goal to bring themselves to within one. Red Wing regained their 2 goal lead in the third on a rocket from the point, killing St. Peters moral. The Governors looked deflated after that goal and they were unable to put much of anything together afterwards, falling by a final score of 3-1.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

3/25/2020 4:06 pm  #1118

Well, I guess the Packers place of business lives up to its namesake.

3/26/2020 11:37 am  #1119

St. Peter, even when you're pretty good, you're bad.

3/26/2020 4:32 pm  #1120

1972 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - North

Winnipeg Monarchs vs Steinbach Barbarians
The Battle of Manitoba in the playoffs, can't get much better than that. Denis Murphy and Gary Davidson of the WHA were two of the over 10,000 in attendance for this bitter rivalry game to decide who advances to the Super Series, making the trip from St. Paul after watching the V's and Vols play just a few days earlier. As games between these two usually go, hitting was on the menu, with both sides delivering major blows back and forth both physically as well as on the scoreboard. The Monarchs struck first, but Steinbach was unphased, tying it up before the second. Winnipeg once again took the lead late in the second, slamming a rebound home and getting the crowd electrified once again. Steinbach kept strong despite the momentum swing, riding out the Bruisers attacks, keeping the score at 2-1 after 2. The Barbs had a hell of a start to the third, tying the game in the opening minute and taking their first lead of the game just over 4 minutes later, flipping the script on Winnipeg who is not used to trailing. The Barbarians were called for tripping, setting up a very dangerous Monarch powerplay unit which was able to find the back of the net, tying the game at 3. We went to overtime and it was back and forth, but shots were rare. Both sides were extra cautious to not make a mistake or give up possession so the first overtime was mostly both teams playing keep away in each others zones. The Zamboni came out and resurfaced and we started overtime number two. Like the first, both teams were playing very cautiously, but it began to open up after about 5 minutes or so. Steinbach entered the zone on a 3 on 2, dropping the puck for the trailing center who ripped a snap shot through the defenseman's legs, using him as a screen. The Monarch goalie got a piece of it with his stick, but it was not enough to stop it from trickling just inside the pipe, winning the game for Steinbach, knocking off the top seed in the north in a double overtime thriller.

Brainerd Lumberjacks vs East Grand Forks Pointers
Brainerd broke first blood at the end of the first, carrying the momentum into the second where they built on their lead. EGF got themselves on the board on a shot that fooled the Jacks goalie, bringing the score to 2-1 going into the third. The Pointers were the better team in the third, but couldn't convert on their chances, pulling the goalie with a minute left for the extra attacker. Brainerd gathered up a rebound in the corner, breaking out of their zone and firing the puck into the empty cage, clinching the 3-1 win to return to the Super Series for the 5th time.

Roseau Stars vs Eveleth Redbirds
Roseau at home, it's a story with a similar ending nearly every time. The Stars continue to be nearly invincible at home, knocking out a very good Eveleth team with ease. Roseau cruised to a 3-0 victory, outshooting the Birds 32-24 to advance to their 4th straight Super Series, 7th overall.

Thunder Bay Giants vs Superior Lakers
The last remaining Lake Superior Hockey League teams were pitted against one another to decide who advances to Bloomington and who is being sent home. Things started off great for the guests from Superior, taking a 1-0 lead midway through the first and holding onto their lead through the second. Things took a turn in the third as the Giants came out swinging, knowing that their season is on the line. Thunder Bay tied it up 4:47 into the third and took over from there. Fort Williams Gardens was electric once again with nearly 5,000 chanting "Let's go Giants" as Thunder Bay applied the pressure in the Laker zone. It was only a matter of time before the Lakers gassed out, leaving a Giant all alone in front for a one time tip in to take the lead, nearly sending the roof off the building. The final horn sounded with the score still 2-1 in favor of the Giants, sending Thunder Bay to their third Super Series.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!6.8.0

Board footera