Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2020 12:06 pm  #11

Re: Birmingham to the NHL, it's more logical than you think.

Gritty wrote:

It would be interesting for sure. There is a little hockey in Alabama. Alabama Huntsville has a D1 team. But I still have the very low attendance of the Birmingham Iron of the AAF and that is football in Alabama. 

There are just a bunch of other cities that would get a team before. I'm thinking Milwaukee, Kansas City, Houston, Quebec City, Toronto #2 (were cities that expressed interest in the past).  I would think if they really wanted hockey in BHam they would have a minor league team. 

Former minor league teams in Alabama just remembering for fun...ECHL-Birmingham Bulls (1992-2001), WHA Birmingham Bulls (1977-1979), SPHL Birmingham Bulls and Huntsville Havoc 

You are right, but the WHA was a rival league to the NHL for the 70's and the Bulls almost got in the NHL, so that's why I think that this would be logical, I think houston as a more likely of Relocation destination for Florida or Arizona.

Last edited by Sevsdast (10/11/2020 12:06 pm)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

10/11/2020 12:17 pm  #12

I think that further expansion just isn’t likely. 32 is the magic number for a sports league IMO (The NFL’s kept it for almost 20 years) and further expansion isn’t needed right now.

That said, I think Houston and Quebec City would be much more viable options other than Birmingham.

10/11/2020 1:51 pm  #13

I've always thought if any league were to expand beyond 32, it would be the NBA, but it's possible MLS would as well. I don't see the NFL going beyond 32, the MLB shouldn't go beyond 30, and the NHL certainly shouldn't go beyond 32. 

10/11/2020 2:08 pm  #14

QCS wrote:

I've always thought if any league were to expand beyond 32, it would be the NBA, but it's possible MLS would as well. I don't see the NFL going beyond 32, the MLB shouldn't go beyond 30, and the NHL certainly shouldn't go beyond 32. 

I think they could all go to 40 teams at one point

10/11/2020 3:58 pm  #15

Rugrat wrote:

QCS wrote:

I think they could all go to 40 teams at one point

Better to expand to 40 than to rip existing teams out of markets where that team is beloved by the community.

10/12/2020 9:45 am  #16

I could see the NFL moving to 36, and doing it fairly easily, as I see 6 markets with NFL capable stadiums. However, there are flaws with each, not factoring in any college teams that use said stadiums. Going east to west (sort of):

Orlando, FL - Camping World Stadium seats 65,000 and hosts multiple college bowl games. The downside is it's proximity to Tampa Bay, as well as sharing the state with Jacksonville and Miami.

Memphis, TN - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium seats just over 61,000, and like Orlando, hosts college bowl games. I would be concerned with their proximity to Nashville and the Titans.

St. Louis, MO - so the stadium is there, and was most recently used by the XFL. But the Rams left, citing that the stadium was not at an NFL level. I think St. Louis should get a team, and one with ownership committed to keeping the team in the city. Clearly, with an owner who spent literally billions to build in Los Angeles, he could've made any upgrades he wanted to keep that team in St. Louis.

San Antonio, TX - despite Texas already having the Cowboys and Texans, I think that San Antonio with the Alamodome is a perfect fit. Texas is crazy about football, and San Antonio has enough separation from Dallas and Houston to carve out a solid fan base.

Oakland, CA - The Coliseum is garbage, the Raiders left, and the A's are looking to replace the stadium (but at least want to stay in Oakland). But if they can strike the right deal with the city to get a stadium built (and maybe help the A's with that as well), Oakland's got a strong fan base.

San Diego, CA - As with St. Louis, I don't think the stadium is as bad as the Chargers were making it out to be. Plus, if you can get San Diego more of the modern amenities in a stadium, they're a great site for a Super Bowl, which would be great for the city.

All of these cities would need work to the stadiums (or a completely new one in Oakland). But with stadiums in place, I feel it's more likely that if the NFL chooses to expand domestically (I don't think London or Mexico City is the way to go, but I could buy into Toronto), these cities would be more likely to get an owner willing to fight for stadium upgrades with a city than trying to move to a city like Portland who would need a new stadium entirely, or Oklahoma City where they would need a new stadium or share with nearby OU or OSU.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera