Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2021 7:47 pm  #321

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Games 3,4, and 6 are outside... YIKES.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

5/03/2021 9:20 pm  #322

Sevsdast wrote:

Games 3,4, and 6 are outside... YIKES.

That leaves just enough games for Halifax to win inside.

5/04/2021 1:54 pm  #323

Get your city votes in. We are going to be able to post the 6 cities this afternoon!

5/04/2021 6:27 pm  #324

League News Update:  

After two rounds of voting the league has decided that we are going to move forward as one 24-team league! It is sweet that you all wanted us to stay together. A couple of reminders about this format...

-We will be limiting the keeper salary cap
-Roster sizes will be trimmed
-Weekly transaction limits will be enforced
-Any future expansion will result in a relegation league. So teams at the bottom of the league next year beware of the possibility! 

In the coming weeks I will be sharing the official AltHL google doc. In it will be team information, league history, as well as keeper information. I will provide the official keeper rules as well the rosters of all of the teams. At that point owners will be allowed to submit to me their keepers for the offseason. 

It is important to note that Fantrax has a tremendous ability for me to be flexible with the draft order. If you from this moment forward would like to make a trade that includes a draft pick in the next year's fantasy draft you may. BUT in order for you to do so you have to let me know in order for it to be official. Otherwise I will have no way of knowing to adjust the draft order. That can come in the form of an email or a PM.

Expansion Update: 

After a great number of people submitted cities for expansion we officially have our 6 newest cities. Out of these six, only two of them have existing Alt Universe franchises. This means that we have chosen to really branch out into cool new markets. 

I found it interesting that the six cities were easily able to slip into our current alignment relatively nicely. I see that there is a good opportunity to move Charlotte back to the east and Detroit to the central but I didn't want to make the decision without the group. If you have any ideas for new alignment PM them to me. Don't post it here for the time being, because we want to use this space for the design process. We could have an American conference (with an additional US team playing in the Canadian) and a Canadian conference, we could do east and west, we could do either with new divisions in them. Since this is one league teams will be able to play all the other teams. Once we decide on an alignment we can give our schedule some structure. We'll worry about that later. But if you have an idea send it my way. 

Here is how the voting broke down. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me about it. Everyone thought that Anchorage was the most popular choice but it wasn't. Instead it was...
1.) Edmonton, Alberta - 109 points
2.) Anchorage, Alaska - 87 points
3.) Detroit, Michigan - 73 points
4.) Ottawa, Ontario - 55 points
5.) Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - 55 points
6.) Milwaukee, Wisconsin - 54 points
-----
7.) Kansas City, Missouri - 47 points
8.) Atlanta, Georgia - 28 points
9.) St. Louis - 27 points
10.) Washington DC - 26 points

What comes next? It is time to start naming the new franchises. For this stage of the design process we will be naming ALL SIX teams. For the logos and uniforms we will be splitting the group into two so those interested in designing can concentrate. 

Rules for this stage:
1.) No NHL team names
2.) No Alt Universe team names
3.) No college, minor league hockey, or IceHL names from that market are allowed.

Do a quick google before submitting your team name idea. I'll simply omit names that don't satisfy our rules. 

As usual I will be just making a poll of the names. The votes will rate the names on a scale of 1-5. Each user will have an opportunity to vote once. If you'd like to leave a short explanation for the inspiration of the name feel free to include it in your post. We will trim the list to the top two names for each city. We will then have a showdown for each city.

The deadline to submit names is Friday morning when I put the polls together. I'll post the poll Friday afternoon. 

Looking forward to seeing what these cities bring to the table. 

5/04/2021 6:33 pm  #325

Detroit Angels (Detroit has a strong Catholic presence)
Saskatchewan Broncos (To Honor the Humboldt team that tragically passed)
Ottawa Loyalists (The Loyalists who fled the US after the Revolutions)
Milwaukee Barons (German Heritage and Motorcycle Culture)
Alaska Sourdoughs (Old Timer from Alaska/Gold Miner)
Edmonton Wildcats(Someone on a rig, can be called a Wildcatter)

Last edited by Darknes (5/04/2021 6:49 pm)

5/04/2021 6:34 pm  #326

Alaska Seals: Seals are plentiful along the Alaskan coastline, and the sealing industry was huge with the Alaskans and Native Americans
Detroit Crusaders: Same idea of Detroit having a huge Catholic population, but this name is a bit more aggressive, like the players themselves
Edmonton Huskies: Represents the tough and rugged spirit of the North, and is something not related to oil
Milwaukee Stags: State animal is the white-tailed deer
Ottawa Nationals: Well it's the capital and I'm unoriginal
Saskatchewan Warriors: One of the city's most popular parks is the Wanuskewin Heritage Park, which honors Canada's First Nation peoples

Last edited by DireBear (5/04/2021 7:09 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

5/04/2021 6:37 pm  #327

QCS and I feel betrayed...

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/04/2021 6:38 pm  #328

Edmonton Riggers (riggers are common in oil areas)
Anchorage Seals (Mother nature and their Seals)
Saskatoon Sombers (Referencing the Blues that almost moves to Saskatoon)
Milwaukee Muskies (Fish common in the area)
Detroit Zambonis (Motor City's finest icy creation from technology)
Ottawa Geese (Former national Animal, Gray Jays was already taken by Perrin, so this will do.)

Last edited by Sevsdast (5/04/2021 6:46 pm)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

5/04/2021 6:39 pm  #329

DireBear wrote:

Alaska Seals: Seals are plentiful along the Alaskan coastline, and the sealing industry was huge with the Alaskans and Native Americans
Detroit Ambassadors: Named after the Ambassador Bridge that connects Detroit to Canada
Edmonton Huskies: Represents the tough and rugged spirit of the North, and is something not related to oil
Milwaukee Stags: State animal is the white-tailed deer
Ottawa Nationals: Well it's the capital and I'm unoriginal
Saskatchewan Reapers: The province is full of wheat, and the reaper could be the reaper used to harvest the wheat or the Grim Reaper, whichever you want

The Carolina Reapers would like to have a word

5/04/2021 6:40 pm  #330

Edmonton - Gatekeepers. Edmonton is the "Gateway to the North".
Anchorage - Polar Bears. Cold city, bears around, cool brand.
Detroit - Guardians. This feels like a classic name that fits Detroit.
Ottawa - Trappers. References French Canada's history of trapping and Ottawa's name, meaning "to trade".
Saskatoon - Sasketchewan Shockers. Wheat in area, shock is wheat.
Milwaukee - Chiefs. Less Native, more Harley-Davidson.

pain

Last edited by QCS (5/04/2021 6:47 pm)

Board footera