Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2021 12:22 pm  #301

Re: The AltHL Season 2020

Welcome new owners! The original Alt Sports league will be jumping with some new people. Looking forward to this process once again!

5/02/2021 12:39 pm  #302

Hell yeah, I'm so happy to be part of the AltHL family.

5/02/2021 12:59 pm  #303

Welcome new owners! Sad to be left out but I’ll be in someday.

5/02/2021 1:36 pm  #304

Congrats to the new owners, cant wait to see the new teams, the finals, and next season

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

5/02/2021 1:52 pm  #305

Welcome new owners! Exciting to have more teams and potentially getting in on some more designing!

I do have a question to ask about the league alignments, is it still possible that we just move to a 24 team league? I'm not a huge fan of the movement to two smaller leagues. 

Like I understand why for competition and making sure everyone has players, however, I would argue that hockey is completely capable of handling 24 teams with 18 players each. I mean there is a lot of talent available, guys like Evgeni Kuznetzov and Jack Hughes aren't even on a team, and there are more points to go around with the rosters since every player gets to play a decent amount of minutes.

If you think about the math like we would need at least 432 players to fill the 24 teams and the NHL has 19 players start every game so they would have 608 players at the very least which I think completely covers what we need. 

I think the split makes sense for Basketball since there are significantly fewer players, but if we can manage it with football I think we can for hockey as well (I think it would work better).

I guess my second concern is I want to play in the same league as the rest of the owners and would rather not be split into other leagues, that's part of the fun. 

Also, the duplicate players is a minor issue, but kinda just takes away from the connections that we make here and into the real world. 

I have talked with some of the other owners and several are agreeing that they aren't a fan of the split. I just want to put it out there to discuss instead of just not saying anything. 

5/02/2021 2:38 pm  #306

Yeah I'll second Wallflower's point about having a 24-team league. That said, if (when?) we go past that I think we should split the leagues but I think we could make 24 work.

5/02/2021 5:25 pm  #307

Excited for all the craziness of the AltHL! Hope I can get a team close to home to grow into a dynasty. If not, I'll still try my damndest to grow my team appropriately!

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/02/2021 5:32 pm  #308

I'm gonna third Wallflower's comment. I think that hockey is definitely capable of having a 24 team league to keep everyone in one league. I think we would need to adjust the scoring system to give more incentive to taking 3rd or 4th liners with new ways to get points such as penalties and faceoff wins.

Being in the same league as everyone else is what makes this all fun, I liked how the AltHL and AltFL both had everyone in one thing so it flet like a true league of sorts

5/02/2021 5:47 pm  #309

To play the devil's advocate, I'll argue for the reintroduction for the CHL and AHA, but with them as conferences instead of two different leagues.  

I do agree that there's probably enough players in the NHL to support 1 total league, but I always like the AHA and CHL split in the AltHL Legacy timeline.  We could always make it like a NFL/AFL or NL/AL situation, where the story is that the two rival leagues merged, but still sorta have a rivalry of sorts. (I know this isn't the most popular approach to league building on this site, but it's a realistic scenario and gives us a USA vs. Canada feel, which might be a lot of fun to see play out).

To split the 12 teams in each conference up, maybe East and West divisions since both countries are pretty long to cut down on travel (again, just looking at this from a realistic angle)

What do you think about that approach everyone?

Last edited by Stickman (5/02/2021 5:50 pm)

5/02/2021 6:06 pm  #310

I’m gonna fourth the Wallflower comment. Hockey is the deepest or second deepest sport of the four, and you can feasibly have 24 teams that can compete week in and week out (not that I’m one to talk, but...).

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera