Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2020 10:01 am  #351

Re: The AltFL Season 2020

Good luck all owners! Hammerheads vs  Grizzlies, Reapers vs Brawlers,  Emperors vs Copperheads, and Bolts vs Mallards.

Last edited by Sevsdast (12/09/2020 4:12 pm)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/09/2020 10:44 am  #352

Emperors vs Copperheads, Reapers vs Brawlers

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/09/2020 10:46 am  #353

The final power rankings of the regular season. After this post we will officially turn our attention to the Playoffs. A big shout out and thanks to Jam for working on the Power Rankings every week. It has been fun to see our teams bounce up and down throughout the season. 

A couple of fun notes about the final power rankings.

-The Seattle Steelheads finished the season with the same ELO as they did to start the season. 
-The New York Emperors started and finished the season ranked fourth in the power rankings.
-The Arizona Scorpions had the sharpest decline - dropping 19 spots from the beginning of the year. They were followed by the Chicago Cyclones who dropped 16 spots.
-The Tennessee Copperheads made the biggest jump - rising 18 spots throughout the year.
-The Miami Hammerheads finished #13 despite making the playoffs. 

The playoff previews will be posted shortly. Thanks for a great regular season everyone!

Last edited by Gritty (12/09/2020 10:47 am)

12/09/2020 11:22 am  #354

QCS wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Look at the Reapers make the playoffs without a single player on the Division team.

There were two teams that had no players make the Division team: San Diego and Carolina. San Diego is projected for a top-5 pick while Carolina made the playoffs. How did this happen? I have no clue.

It was a great locker room atmosphere.

12/09/2020 11:47 am  #355

Welcome to the 2020 AltFL Playoffs! 

We have officially have moved from 24 teams down to 8. These 8 are the four division winners and 4 wildcards. The first game of the weekend will take place in frigid Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There is snow on the forecast for this matchup between the Mallards and the Bolts. This season, Alt Bowl XXI will take place at Culver's Coliseum in Milwaukee. The Quackheads are hoping to see their team in that game. The Mallards were won of the best teams in the league at the beginning of the season. Their quarterback, Russell Wilson was on an historic pace for the quack attack. But he cooled off and so did the Mallards. But they found ways to win games and emerge from an extremely competitive Central Division.

They will play the AltFL MVP, Patrick Mahomes and the Buffalo Bolts. The Bolts have a solid and balanced roster. They are buoyed by underrated stud wideouts Diggs and Woods. The Bolts won their three division rivalry games at the end of the season to secure their spot as the top wildcard. Possibly their biggest game of the year was week one against Carolina. That 118-109 victory was the edge that the Bolts needed to finish as the 5th seed in the playoffs. The Bolts are a dangerous team. 

FANTRAX spread - Bolts @ Mallards (-2) 

(Pro Bowlers = highlighted)

PS I really like what the community did with this two teams. They are both really sharp looking squads. 

Also start getting your predictions ready. I'll reveal the bracket challenge after all of the previews are out. 

Last edited by Gritty (12/09/2020 11:50 am)

12/09/2020 3:04 pm  #356

North Division rivals clash on Wildcard Weekend. The drama! Oh the drama! After a big Week 13 - home victory against the Brawlers the Reapers pack their bags and head north to Philadelphia to play them again. The Brawlers will try to shake of the loss and win it when it counts. 

The Brawlers have been the flag bearer for the division this season. They were ranked in the top 3 for much of the regular season. That is in large part to the impressive and somewhat surprising play of quarterback Ryan Tannehill. The Brawlers are known for their defense. They have an elite defensive backfield with Logan Ryan, Marlon Humphrey and Jamal Adams. The defense is anchored by Defensive Player of the Year, Devin White. White wasn't available for their Week 13 matchup. Midway through the season the Brawlers traded for Josh Jacobs to be the workhorse down the stretch. But an injury will keep him out for the second straight game against the Reapers. That means Philly will go with Miles Sanders and Wayne Gallman. Gallman has impressed in the absence of Saquon Barkley in New York. The real strength of the offense is the receiving corps. DeAndre Hopkins and Calvin Ridley have breakout potential and if they play well the Brawlers usually win, when they don't it goes the other way. The Reapers should try to shut them down to win on the road. Despite an impressive season the Brawlers are worried about this rematch with the Reapers. The Brawlers have lost three games this year. All of which were to playoff teams (MLK, BUF, CAR). 

Playing the role of underdog are the Carolina Reapers. They are going to have to beat a good-Philadelphia team in back to back weeks. A tough task but not impossible. Last week Cam Newton led the way for Carolina with three touchdowns and with 2 of them being on the ground. He needs to show up in a big way to duplicate that performance. Cole Beasley also made waves with a big game last week. The strength of the Reapers has been their ability to find diamonds in the rough. That has helped them overcome some injuries on their rosters. The first diamond was Mike Davis. He came in for CMC and has played way above what the fans expected. The other was rookie Draft Pick Chase Claypool. The Reapers hit on this draft pick. The wideout has ascended to being one of the most impressive and dangerous receivers in the AltFL. 

Both of these teams have won two Alt Bowls and are looking for a third. This is only the second time these two teams have met in the playoffs. 

FANTRAX Spread - Reapers @ Brawlers (-2)

12/09/2020 3:37 pm  #357

"Diamonds in the rough" is one way of putting it, I'd be more inclined to call it dumb luck. I'm really nervous about this matchup, but with the Panthers players returning from the Bye (well, those that don't have COVID) I think I have a decent shot. As you said, I really need Cam to perform well, when he only gives me single-digit points, I lose.

12/09/2020 3:40 pm  #358

QCS wrote:

"Diamonds in the rough" is one way of putting it, I'd be more inclined to call it dumb luck. I'm really nervous about this matchup, but with the Panthers players returning from the Bye (well, those that don't have COVID) I think I have a decent shot. As you said, I really need Cam to perform well, when he only gives me single-digit points, I lose.

That's how I am with Ridley/Hopkins. If they have even a decent week I'm fine. But it's when they completely disappear that I lose. It's funny how every team has that one guy who really runs the show. 

12/09/2020 4:05 pm  #359

QCS wrote:

And it seems like Christian McCaffrey is practicing in full again, which could affect Davis pretty significantly.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

12/09/2020 5:06 pm  #360

Dan O'Mac wrote:

And it seems like Christian McCaffrey is practicing in full again, which could affect Davis pretty significantly.

Well, I just checked the official injury report and it seems like CMC has a new quad injury. I'd be more than happy with the Panthers just shutting him down for the season but at the very least having Davis for the first round would be nice.

Board footera