Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2020 8:37 am  #41

Re: Canadian Premiere Hockey League

Here's the updated version of the Settlers with the corrected wordmark and sash. Brampton will be up tomorrow, and as always, C&C is welcome and appreciated!

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/31/2020 9:43 am  #42

While the letters are a tad thin, it is the ‘30s, and visibility was more on the sweater itself. In the future though, making the lettering bolder will help. Doesn’t have to be right away, but it should happen later on.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

9/01/2020 10:14 am  #43

The Brampton Bandits are the tough guys of the league. Donning a threatening look of dark...purple? Blue? Still deciding....and royal blue, the Bandits don't take prisoners. Unfortunately, their bruising style of play doesn't lead to success as they routinely give up odd man rushes, or draw themselves out of position looking for that bone crushing hit.

Their owner, Doctor Jamieson Warren, named the team for his love of Western serials in the local newspapers, many of which featured gallant bandits roaming the west.

Lemme know what you think of this one, as always. First season will be under way sometime in the next few days.

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (9/02/2020 9:08 am)

9/01/2020 2:00 pm  #44

I'm all for double blue, but I think that with the shades you used for Brampton that you either need to lighten up the royal blue a bit or add some more white because right now the two shades of blue kind of blend and it'd be hard to see from any distance

9/01/2020 8:38 pm  #45

I'm liking the Brampton Bandits double blue jersey it's blending together from far now but I think I can see a update on this jersey down the road that will be better and look darn good.

9/02/2020 7:52 am  #46

I'll lighten the royal blue a bit and then we shall have the first season later today. Stay turned for Friday Hockey.
EDIT: Brampton has been updated, let me know if its better.

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (9/02/2020 9:10 am)

9/02/2020 11:29 am  #47

AUGUST 1935.
In August 15, 1935, the league announced the schedule for the teams. The teams would begin play in December of 1935, and would play 10 games in the regular season. The top four teams would move on to the play-offs, with the eastern-most teams playing each other, and vice-versa. The winners would play for the championship, which league president Harry Holmes said would be “golden medallions with the league emblem on them until a proper trophy can be developed" as the Toronto Telegram reported. The teams have reportedly already assembled their rosters.

1935-36 Regular Season
The inaugural season of the CPHL started with what would become a classic in the hockey world: The Battle of Ontario. The game was played on a marked-out segment of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. The game was sold out in the country’s capital, with many people hording around the telegraph stations in Toronto. The game began as a calm, fast, and energetic game. However, in the second half, the hitting began. Abner Folkkes of the Ottawa Cavalry laid a shoulder to the chest of Toronto’s William Gifford with fifteen minutes to play. The hit sparked the beginning of a slug-fest in the inaugural game. After the hit, Folkkes stole the puck from underneath Gifford’s arm and snapped it over the shoulder of Toronto’s goalie Albert Mahok to take a commanding 10-6 lead for Ottawa and his fifth of the game. The Cavalry held on, winning the game 10-6.

The next day, the Montreal Settlers travelled to Hamilton’s community outdoor rink to take on the Steelmen. The Steelmen were the heavy favourites for the game because of their time spent together as a team. However, as the Ottawa Cavalry showed in their game against the Toronto Millionaires, the new teams can be as effective as a long-standing team. The Steelmen came out strong in the first half of the game, cruising to a 5-0 lead at half-time. The telegram stations back in Montreal were filled with indignant Frenchmen. The Settlers answered back quickly after the break, quickly scoring 3 goals in the first twelve of twenty minutes. The Steelmen did push back, scoring two more to put the game out of reach of the Settlers. At the same time in Pembroke, the Brampton Bandits cruised to an easy 12-0 victory over the trampled Patriots. The rest of the season was uneventful, with Brampton walking away with 20 points to take the league title. They would play the Montreal Settlers in the first round of the playoffs.

9/09/2020 8:02 am  #48

As an aside before the play-offs, I forgot to present the Ottawa Cavalry. The Cavalry are a hard working team who are constantly in contention and often find themselves just short of the finals. HOWEVER! Since I'm updating my simulating system, that could change!
1935-36 PLAYOFFS
The first round began with a battle of City versus Town. The Pembroke Patriots would travel to Montreal for the first game of the playoffs. The league made a press release describing the formatting of the playoffs.

- The bottom two teams would not make the playoffs.
- The first round will be a six games series, with the first three games being played in the home of the team with       the lowest points. In the case of a tie, the team with the most goals wins the series.
- In the first round, if one team wins four of the six games, they will claim the series early.
- The final will be a best of three series played in the home of the highest team not in the finals.
THE FIRST ROUND:
As Pembroke headed to Montreal for the first round of the Canadian Professional Hockey League Playoffs, the Montreal Settlers were the high favorites to win the series. Going into game one, it appeared that the Settlers would live up to that expectation. The Settlers pressed and pressed on Pembroke goaltender Hal Freeman in the first half with thirty-two shots. In the second, however, the Patriots came alive. With forty shots for them in the second and twelve for the Settlers, Pembroke capitalized more than they had in the entire game scoring four goals to win the game four nothing. The spark had hit the powder keg underneath the Pembroke bench. The Mounties came out swinging in game two, blasting ten goals past the Swiss-cheese-esque Montreal goaltender Elias Bell.  The rest of the series went much the same as the Mounties trampled the startled Settlers in four, completing a huge up-set over the favoured Settlers.

In the Battle of Ontario, the series went five games. In the first three games in Toronto, Ottawa completely stole home ice advantage, winning all three games, including an overtime win in game two with the winning goal going to the young 17-year-old Michael Worsely. After a shot from thirty-two feet out resulted in a rebound out front with thirty seconds in the game, there was a large scramble in front of the Toronto goal. Toronto goaltender Franklin Rose struggled to stay up-right and avoid the penalty. Finally, the puck squirted out to Worsely beside the post with no one noticing. Worsely roofed one to the top shelf, winning the game with his first ever CPHL goal. The rest of the series went smoothly for Ottawa, buckling once in game four, loosing that one 5-1, but quickly turning the score around in game five.

C+C is appreciated, and hope you like the illustration!

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (9/09/2020 8:05 am)

9/09/2020 9:04 am  #49

Nice job can’t wait for the finals

9/09/2020 2:24 pm  #50

Big fan of the Illustration style

I think that I'm gonna go with Ottawa as my team for the time being, big fan of their whole identity. The colors and logo are great and I love Cavalry as a name. My one suggestion would be to change the number font to a more block style

Board footera