Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2020 8:43 am  #1

Canadian Premiere Hockey League

In an alternate world, the NHL was never founded, replaced with another league that was only interested with Canadian teams and cities. Titans will rise. Titans will fall. Legends will be written in the annals of hockey history. We will see legendary players take the spotlight, and teams rise and fall. Please welcome to the Hockey family, the Canadian Premiere Hockey League.

Almost as a birthday gift to Canada, five major business men came together with the intention of creating a hockey league to bring the fledgling sport to a new level: PROFESSIONAL. On July 15th, 1935, they made the public announcement of the formation of the Canadian Premiere Hockey League. The five men had already secured six teams: the well-established Toronto Millionaires (owned by the city of Toronto), the Ottawa Cavalry (owned by millionaire entrepreneur and league founder, Doug Westfielde, and lawyer and founder, Yvon Courtuer), the Calgary Mounties (owned by Winnipeg’s Samuel Knightself), the Hamilton Tigers (owned by Andrew Lucasson), the Edmonton Wheat Kings (owned by millionaire Josef Gustavsson of Russia), and the Montreal Settlers, who, surprisingly, was being purchased by the community and then run by the city council. The league founders also announced that they have no intention of expansion into the United States. “Let them have their leagues and teams. Canada will play itself, for itself, and of itself.”

C+C welcome as always. The first teams, Toronto and Hamilton will be up tomorrow!

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (9/24/2020 7:54 am)

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/26/2020 9:38 am  #2

Re: Canadian Premiere Hockey League

So with this starting in 1935, my concern is the travel between your eastern teams and Edmonton/Calgary. I feel that Winnipeg would be about as far west as would make sense with the travel options of the time. Maybe with Quebec City, and then Winnipeg would be a "bridge" to Edmonton/Calgary.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/26/2020 9:53 am  #3

Looking forward to this!

8/26/2020 10:00 am  #4

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So with this starting in 1935, my concern is the travel between your eastern teams and Edmonton/Calgary. I feel that Winnipeg would be about as far west as would make sense with the travel options of the time. Maybe with Quebec City, and then Winnipeg would be a "bridge" to Edmonton/Calgary.

So, as possible alternatives, turn Calgary into Winnipeg, and Edmonton into Regina?

Rugrat wrote:

Looking forward to this!

Thanks my friend! I'm looking forward to trying to keep it going.

8/26/2020 10:03 am  #5

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So, as possible alternatives, turn Calgary into Winnipeg, and Edmonton into Regina?

Rugrat wrote:

Looking forward to this!

Thanks my friend! I'm looking forward to trying to keep it going.

This has a lot of promise, but I agree with Dan, train rides are gonna be 2-3 days to get to Winnipeg and Regina for the crux of the league. I’d instead go with Quebec City for sure and I’d debate Mississauga or Windsor for the 6th spot. Come late ‘50s and early ‘60s though, then I would recommend heading west.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (8/26/2020 10:04 am)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/26/2020 10:10 am  #6

I’d say Quebec City and Halifax over Edmonton and Calgary

8/26/2020 10:14 am  #7

Rugrat wrote:

I’d say Quebec City and Halifax over Edmonton and Calgary

I actually like Moncton over Halifax for the Maritimes, but that’s just me.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/26/2020 12:14 pm  #8

I felt Winnipeg would be the farthest west I'd go at this point. It would be similar in travel from Minneapolis to New York, which is like Green Bay/Chicago was with New York for the NFL at that time. And Quebec City seems like a large enough city at that time to add.

But Halifax, Moncton, and Windsor all seem great options instead of Winnipeg, too.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/26/2020 2:50 pm  #9

I'm really excited to see this, it gives me Premier League vibes and I love it. I agree with what the others have said about Winnipeg being as far west as I would go, I think Halifax and Quebec City would also work and give smaller cities teams

Can't wait to see how this goes!

8/26/2020 9:07 pm  #10

So, all of you rightfully agreed that travel would be an issue. I had planned expansion after a couple years to two eastern cities. What if they took Calgary and Edmonton's place as inaugural teams? I can put Calgary and Edmonton on the back burner and then add them a bit later on.

Board footera