Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2020 11:13 am  #11

Re: Seattle NHL Team Name Announcement?!? Finally?!?

ThisIsFine wrote:

I’m all for Kraken, TBH.

Well, what do you know?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/23/2020 11:16 am  #12

I wasn't sold on the name but that is pretty sweet.

I wonder how personally they take it when the Wings fans throw an octopus onto the ice.

Last edited by Gritty (7/23/2020 11:22 am)

7/23/2020 11:22 am  #13

The Seattle Kraken are the Minnesota Wild 2.0. The worst name out of the lot, but an identity that absolutely overpowers that name. The one thing I really hate is the beveling, but that is my personal distaste of that style. The logo, secondary, colors and jerseys look like an 8.9/10. I like the color balance a lot on the jersey, I'd even consider buying one. The colors are great, but they seem a few shades away from Winnipeg and navy is definitely not unique to the league. My only problem with this jersey are the numbers. Using that foam color in place of white looks great in the stripes, but are very muddled on the numbers.

I am so so worried about how they will balance the colors on the whites.. especially because two of their colors dont provide very much contrast to white.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (7/23/2020 11:25 am)

7/23/2020 11:26 am  #14

I thought the beveling was supposed to represent Art Deco style.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/23/2020 11:44 am  #15

Name is good, jersey is good.

I juts don’t like the logo. It’s seems they leaned too much into the S and not enough into the actual kraken.

7/23/2020 12:13 pm  #16

I might be in the minority that says this package looks great! The nod to the Metropolitans with the logo, the subtle tentacle, even the beveling doesn’t look half bad, it gives a small 3D vibe. That jersey also looks sweet.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/23/2020 12:16 pm  #17

CCLXXXVII wrote:

Name is good, jersey is good.

I juts don’t like the logo. It’s seems they leaned too much into the S and not enough into the actual kraken.

Interesting..cause I felt the opposite way.  I like the lean towards the S.  I think it was a clever way of referencing their history a little bit.  I feel like if they went crazy with the Kraken it would look more minor league.  This way they hint at it a bit - plus they can use more overt Kraken imagery throughout their brand.  

An underrated part of the set is the anchor with the space needle.

7/23/2020 1:29 pm  #18

I think Seattle nailed it. Despite picking the worst name choice, they leaned hard into the "mystery of the deep" instead of a gigantic octopus and it works incredibly well. Both logos are awesome, the color scheme is great, but my favorite part of the set is on the white jersey's sleeves, where the striping acts as a "gradient" descending from light blue to navy, representing going deeper into the sea with a thin red line in the navy to act as the eye of the Kraken. As much as I want to hate it, I just can't. It's gorgeous!

7/23/2020 3:02 pm  #19

Honestly, this was the name I was hoping they'd pick!  I actually don't see Kraken as minor league material at all.  If anything, the only real complaint could have been that Kraken was more associated with Scandanavian mythology rather than West Coast mythology, but I thought even that was a petty argument.

The jersey is fine, although I'm a bit biased against multi blue teams, not my personal favorite color combination.  The red helps out a lot though.   I also really like those anchors on the shoulders!

That logo is pretty sweet.  Love the S and how it kinda merges with the Kraken theme.  

Pretty good overall!

EDIT: A few additonal thoughts now that I've had more than 3 minutes to analyze this.  

Primary Logo: Same feelings as before, the red eye of the kraken stands out nicely, the tentacle in the negative space is a great touch without being distracting.  Overall very solid design here!

Secondary Logo:  I didn't mention the anchor much, but after looking at it more, wow!  Excellent job here merging the anchor with the Seattle Needle Tower!   Very creative, fits the city well, and yet is still so simple!  I wouldn't want this as a primary logo, as the S logo is good enough, but this is a real gem in my opinion!

Jersey: While I'm not the biggest fan of multi blue teams, I will say I do like what the Kraken did creatively here.  3 different shades of blue is unique as far as I know and the more I look at it, the more I have to admit that navy (or excuse me, "Deep Sea"... god I hate Nike/Adidas/Reebok speak) was the right call for the home jersey, as it allows the red lines, the S and the Anchor logos to pop out more.  The away jersey is fine too.  Maybe I'm letting the Nike/Adidas/Reebok speak influence me, but the blue rainbow striping here does make this jersey feel like it's hitting an icy theme, (which considering the lighter shade of blue is is called "Ice Blue", I supposed it was intentional).  Yeah, really job jerseys in my opinion.

I originally said it was a solid design overall.  Having more time to digest this uniform more, I'd go further and say this is a really good expansion set!  Most of the time, expansion team designs are fairly bland or awful.  I think this one could last a long time without having to revise anything.  The more I look at this, the more I love it!  Really good job here Seattle!

Last edited by Stickman (7/23/2020 3:57 pm)

7/23/2020 4:03 pm  #20

Seattle Away Jersey

Board footera