Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2020 10:49 am  #71

Re: West Coast Elite Hockey League

Uh, woah. That is one funny meeting! The owners all sound Drunk and Confused. All this sounds like it could have been a TV show at some point after 1980

Last edited by Rugrat (8/04/2020 3:00 pm)

8/04/2020 3:13 pm  #72

I've been mostly observing this from the outside so far, but it's been very fun to follow. It's kind of refreshing to see one of these series not taking itself too seriously, but everything's seriously well done. The designs are great, and the story is incredible. Keep up the good work!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

8/04/2020 3:23 pm  #73

I don’t want to steal any thunder from the thread, but do you have any expansion planned in the foreseeable future?

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/04/2020 3:24 pm  #74

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

I don’t want to steal any thunder from the thread, but do you have any expansion planned in the foreseeable future?

Depends.... how far can you see?

8/04/2020 3:31 pm  #75

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Pretty far. What’s the goal team wise by say 1990?

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/04/2020 3:35 pm  #76

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Pretty far. What’s the goal team wise by say 1990?

Well I’m no commissioner but my guess is to pursue safer markets like Mexico, Texas, Midwest and so on. Maybe once they are more steady they will look into high risk markets like Canada or the colonies or Minnesota, places like that.

Not ignoring other comments because I’m at work. I just saw an opportunity to make a bad joke and felt bad if I didn’t actually answer haha

8/07/2020 10:04 am  #77

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I love the idea of a Commissioner who is trying to take it perfectly serious, just... drinking on the job, rubbing his (or her) temples in exasperation, just trying to figure out what terrible choices exactly they made that led them to this particular situation.

Rugrat wrote:

Uh, woah. That is one funny meeting! The owners all sound Drunk and Confused. All this sounds like it could have been a TV show at some point after 1980

All parties are sober, but Zamboni is very stressed and really wished he had the opportunity to enjoy his champagne that was swiped from him in the championship celebration last year. Also, TV show isn't so far off. I wanted to go in with a "That 70s Show" conversation circle tone, but after rereading it I felt it gave an improvised Anchorman vibe.

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

I've been mostly observing this from the outside so far, but it's been very fun to follow. It's kind of refreshing to see one of these series not taking itself too seriously, but everything's seriously well done. The designs are great, and the story is incredible. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, I appreciate that! I just realized that when I attempt serious projects I get burnt out on them very quickly. With all that is going on in the world, I thought maybe an escape could be used by all. I am having a lot of fun doing it, and I hope everyone is engaged with the stories. I've always had trouble keeping up with long winded information in threads, so I'm trying my best to not only cater to the people who like all the info, but also the people who are surface level curious about what is happening in the story.

1954 Entry Draft

Welcome to the WCEHL draft. Today marks the start of a tradition. Today, we will see scouts come together for their teams after a year of sleepless nights traveling across the country to… have their professional opinion thrown aside so that the owners can frantically run around a room yelling random names? Well, it can’t be that bad, right?

Since two owners didn’t show to the pre-draft meeting, and the majority of others did not listen while attending, there was some slight confusion going into the big day. The event started with a guy in the back half of a horse outfit claiming to represent the Flamingos and Sgt. Johnson racing to the podium at the front of the banquet room with little pieces of paper in their hand. The man in the costume ended up tripping over his hoof, and Johnson slapped down his paper when he got to the podium, yelling “FIRST PICK, BABYY!” victoriously.

It took a second to calm all parties down, but things settled to the point where Salt Lake’s Buzz Buissen could take the stand. 

(Buissen looks down at his card that suggests picking a center. Buissen nods and proceeds to center his tie before speaking.)

Buissen
“For our pick we will take Paul Ryding, my sister Claire’s boy who plays on the wing in his local league.”

With Buissen’s nephew off the board, there were definitely some prime picks left. Majority would even say all the prime picks were left. TTHC would select a defense prospect from Florida who showed promise, and this would be followed with San Diego choosing Brad Apperson, who was widely regarded as the best prospect in the draft. Next to the stage was Oakland, who threw a curveball with their pick.

(Sgt. Jon Johnson takes the stand and starts speaking as if he was addressing a squad of soldiers)

Sgt. Johnson
“At 11:23 on the day of July, 25th 1954, the Oakland Patriots hockey club draft Nick Vogel. That is NICK, November, India, Charlie, Kilo. VOGEL, Victor, Oscar, Golf, Echo, Lima. The individual is 18, plays defense and he is being loaned by foreign country, Switzerland, for our use. Any questions?”

(There were no questions, but a cough was heard, and noted by Sgt. Johnson.)

The next two picks were a set of defensemen from the states, selected by California and Vegas. Lastly, there was the league champions. Cooper came up to the stand with an arrogant stride, and called out the name “Milan Hanusek”. No one knew who this was, and they were justified considering Dust made up the name on the spot to show his championship team didn’t need more players. There ended up being a Milan Hanusek located by the team in Cierna nad Tisou, Czechoslovakia, and he was brought to the USA so he could fill his rightful spot on the team.

The owners all high fived after the first round, and walking out of the event to grab lunch with each other, leaving the scouts in attendance puzzled about what do regarding the remaining six rounds. The ones left decided to continue through rounds 2-7, picking up talent that would widely be considered much better than the individuals picked in the first round.

If you have questions regarding any team’s draft, feel free to ask. Most talent was grabbed after the first round in the sim, but I didn’t want to overstay my welcome. There is one more post for the offseason, then we can get year 2 rolling. 

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (8/07/2020 10:14 am)

8/07/2020 10:32 am  #78

I feel good about Zonas draft I wonder if expansion will come soon

8/07/2020 3:12 pm  #79

I feel contractually obligated to ask how Vegas did. 

8/07/2020 8:09 pm  #80

Rugrat wrote:

I feel good about Zonas draft I wonder if expansion will come soon

I'm not sure what gave you the warm and fuzzies about that draft, but maybe I'm just lacking some optimism. Arizona has a good team, for sure, but I'd be skeptical about every rookie class in the league this go around.

Darknes wrote:

I feel contractually obligated to ask how Vegas did. 

Well, Vegas did end up signing their first three rounds to contracts, but only Jim Stephens, their second round pick, looks like he's game ready. Fuller (Round 1) and Hrehirchuk (Round 3) both were loaned out to develop. It is unsure what will come of them. The team is mostly in their mid to late 20s, so the success of all three isn't weighing on the team's mind.

Board footera