Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2020 2:12 pm  #1

My local rink needs new management.

https://www.change.org/p/wichita-city-counsel-please-change-the-management-genesis-of-the-wichita-ice-center?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=b6d45760-460c-11e6-b29d-cf83e5bbcb7f

This is my home rink, a place I’ve spent most of my life in, and over the last 9 years, I’ve witnessed it’s downfall. The problem we have? The contracted operators of the facility, Rodney and Brandon Steven. They have neglected and given us false promises on upgrades to the rink facilities. The scoreboards are barely functioning, the Zambonis are basically on life support, and all the benches and seats need to be replaced. Yet, the only thing the Steven brothers are focused on at the rink is their Genesis Health Club location in the upper level. The level of upkeep between the two is appalling. While the facilities upstairs look clean and new, the facilities downstairs look abhorrent in comparison. We can’t get new gear in our pro shop because the Steven brothers won’t pay vendors for it. There’s trash stored in random rooms because the two can’t pay the trash bill. We’ve had three general managers in a year because of these two. Luckily, the contract runs out next year, and the city is looking to possibly renew it for five years. What we are doing though, is taking it back from the felons (Brandon has plead guilty to an illegal gambling case). What can you, the amazing people of this forum can do, is sign this petition. We want the game of hockey to grow in town and produce players from Wichita and the surrounding areas, and getting Rodney and Brandon away from the rink is the only way to get that. Thank you for the support.

Edit: TL,DR: We’re taking my local rink back to restore its glory.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (7/16/2020 2:14 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/16/2020 2:19 pm  #2

Re: My local rink needs new management.

Storm the rink and remove Rodney and Brandon by force.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/16/2020 2:20 pm  #3

ThisIsFine wrote:

Storm the rink and remove Rodney and Brandon by force.

If they actually went down there, I’d say let’s do it!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)

7/16/2020 2:53 pm  #4

Just signed, hope some new people can come in and turn it around

7/16/2020 2:57 pm  #5

Section30 wrote:

Just signed, hope some new people can come in and turn it around

Thanks, man. The guy we want is a former Thunder player who was very integral in getting it open in the mid ‘90s.

7/16/2020 2:58 pm  #6

How many surfaces is this rink?

7/16/2020 2:59 pm  #7

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Two, one NHL size and one Olympic size.

7/16/2020 3:18 pm  #8

Good luck! 

My childhood rink just got bought by the local Penn State satellite school to build more housing.  Really sad. 

7/16/2020 3:22 pm  #9

Gritty wrote:

Good luck! 

My childhood rink just got bought by the local Penn State satellite school to build more housing.  Really sad. 

Dang, that hurts.

This rink is owned by the city, we’re just wanting them to not renew the contract and give the rink back to people who will make it better. The Steven brothers have basically killed the figure skating program too, and they run national events! So it isn’t just the hockey community that’s been affected here.

7/16/2020 3:52 pm  #10

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Two, one NHL size and one Olympic size.

Hm, no reason it shouldn’t at least have the opportunity to be profitable then. I’ve worked at rinks on and off my whole life. Managing one and building a youth program would be a dream come true. I’m stunned that the Thunder haven’t done more about it. I hope it’s taken care of because that’s a market that could definitely grow without a cap.

Board footera