Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2020 6:56 pm  #1

The 2020 NASCAR Season (Or How Auto Racing is Flipping Covid the Bird)

With tonight being the All Star Race (and no other sports are having competitive games yet) I think we need a discussion thread for the one major sport happening in the US. So come one and all! Let’s discuss some sports!

Michael McDowell is showing is why he’s only remembered for one nasty flip at Texas, hitting everything but the hot dog guy. Bubba Wallace basically put how it is in simple words, “What a joke he is.”

Plus these number placements are very hit or miss. Some work, while others look bad.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/16/2020 12:40 pm  #2

Re: The 2020 NASCAR Season (Or How Auto Racing is Flipping Covid the Bird)

I thought the All-Star Race at Bristol was OK. I expected it to be classic short-track racing, but with a field of 20 cars it kind of reduces the amount of chaos that usually happens there. 

I'm not a fan of the number placements. There were some that were good, (e.g. Bubba's car didn't look too bad, shame he got wrecked by McDowell) but most were bad, with my least favorites going to the JGR crew. The underglow is a nice addition, although I would like to see it applied better than each manufacturer getting a different color and have it so that it matches the car's sponsor.

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

7/16/2020 1:53 pm  #3

DireBear wrote:

I thought the All-Star Race at Bristol was OK. I expected it to be classic short-track racing, but with a field of 20 cars it kind of reduces the amount of chaos that usually happens there. 

I'm not a fan of the number placements. There were some that were good, (e.g. Bubba's car didn't look too bad, shame he got wrecked by McDowell) but most were bad, with my least favorites going to the JGR crew. The underglow is a nice addition, although I would like to see it applied better than each manufacturer getting a different color and have it so that it matches the car's sponsor.

That was my thoughts too. The number placement is very dependent on if the design team cares to make the number bigger as well. The teams that used text logos didn’t help either. I was more disappointed that the underglow didn’t go under the whole car.

Plus the race showed that you need to have bigger fields for the exciting chaos Bristol brings. Sure, short track racing for a million bucks is nice, but it doesn’t work with half a field.

Plus, you notice that Justin Haley took a 2nd year team and car and flat out beat Clint Bowyer? I think it either proves Spire’s CGR alliance is working (although outside that, the 77 is just a Rick Ware Racing car), Justin Halen is overachieving, or Bowyer isn’t as good as we think.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/20/2020 2:26 pm  #4

How about RCR going 1-2 in that finish yesterday at Texas of all places? Dillon was probably going to make the Playoffs/Chase/whatever it's called these days on points anyways, so him clinching his way into it makes it tougher for the 6 others who are making it on points without wins.

Also, one thing I'm extremely mad at is that Quin frickin' Houff deciding that pitting from the middle of the track was a great idea, taking out DiBenedetto (who I've started to root for since last year's Bristol night race) of a top 10 finish. Why did anyone think that was a great idea? Somehow Houff still has less points than Kyle Larson, who only ran 4 races this year. Sheesh  /rant over

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

Board footera