Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2020 7:23 am  #21

Re: Washington to retire name

sportsfan7 wrote:

Now you're just taking a mickey, aren't you?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

7/14/2020 11:10 am  #22

So a genius troll bought the trademark to over 40 of the potential new names for the Washington Football Club...

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/15/2020 11:13 am  #23

I heard a lot about the Warriors and Redtails initially, but over the last couple days I've been hearing of the name Red Wolves (or Redwolves). I really liked it. There's nothing similar in the NFL and they can keep the existing colors. However, they have to work with Arkansas State, who have been the Red Wolves since 2008, and are currently in litigation with a team in Chattanooga, TN over the use of the Red Wolves moniker.

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

So a genius troll bought the trademark to over 40 of the potential new names for the Washington Football Club...

It's a smart move to do if you've got the ability. Get the trademarks and websites, make Dan Snyder open the wallet for you.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/15/2020 11:25 am  #24

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I heard a lot about the Warriors and Redtails initially, but over the last couple days I've been hearing of the name Red Wolves (or Redwolves). I really liked it. There's nothing similar in the NFL and they can keep the existing colors. However, they have to work with Arkansas State, who have been the Red Wolves since 2008, and are currently in litigation with a team in Chattanooga, TN over the use of the Red Wolves moniker.

It's a smart move to do if you've got the ability. Get the trademarks and websites, make Dan Snyder open the wallet for you.

Oh I know it’s smart, which is why I called him a genius.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

7/15/2020 11:36 am  #25

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I'd rather them just be the Washington Wolves.  I get the desire for the word 'Red' but I feel like Redwolves sounds a little too college-y.  

7/15/2020 1:31 pm  #26

Gritty wrote:

I'd rather them just be the Washington Wolves.  I get the desire for the word 'Red' but I feel like Redwolves sounds a little too college-y.

100%. I could almost see them going through with a plan that has them become the Redwolves to satisfy HTTR and then drop the red and just become the Wolves, but that might be too much wishful thinking on my part.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

7/15/2020 4:37 pm  #27

Don't get me wrong, Wolves is a much better option than Red Wolves (and Redwolves as one word can burn in a pit of fire). I just feel like with keeping the color scheme and the #HTTR hashtag, Red Wolves is the more likely of those two to be chosen. Also, basing your team name on a hashtag is dumb.

And remember, they're not going to be as bad as the Rocket City Trash Pandas. Which is a real team in professional sports.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/15/2020 5:25 pm  #28

I've always thought that 'Wolves' was a great and very underutilized name in all of sports.  I think there is something to wanting HTTR though.  

They are going to need to sit down and discuss which part of the brand they are able to keep.  

7/15/2020 5:51 pm  #29

To throw my 2 cents into this...

First, while I respect keeping history intact, I'm glad the Redskins are done.  

As for the potential nicknames, I actually would be shocked if Warriors is chosen.  From what I understand, the franchise will take input from local Native Americans.  If that's the case, Warriors will get shot down, as I've read articles where some in the Native American leaders and activists state they hate the name.  Besides, from what I've heard, they are totally avoiding any Native American themes, and Warriors does have some Native themes for some.  So I'm crossing that one off, which is good, as Warriors is too generic.

Not a big fan of Redtails, Red Wolves, or anything "Red".  All those names would do is highlight the Redskins being forced to change their name, respectful intention not withstanding.    However, Redtails would probably be the favorite as of now.

Really hope they go with the Hog theme though, as that's already embedded into the Washington fan base culture from their glory days of the 80s and 90s.  While I'd avoid Pigskins for the same reason as the "Red" names, you could still do Hogs, Warthogs, Boars, etc.   I doubt any of those win, but I'd like to see that happen.

7/15/2020 6:08 pm  #30

I actually heard earlier today that the old logo was designed by a Native American, which got me thinking: could they keep the logo?

While yes, it does depict a Native American, it’s not like Chief Wahoo where it is designed to be offensive. It’s just a realistic drawing of one.

It’s more than likely not going to happen due to wanting to get rid of everything related to the old identity, and it would severely limit the name choices they could use.

I don’t know. Kinda just thinking out loud.

Board footera