Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2020 7:55 pm  #1

The NHL Draft Riggi- I mean Lottery.

So as most of us know, the NHL Draft Lottery was tonight. Anyone else a bit peeved at how they’re handling the 1st overall pick? I mean, I guess it helps against tanking, but giving the 1st pick to a “playoff” team? I think it’s absolutely absurd. Even if the Preds somehow get it, I’ll still call it a horrid system. Let’s discuss this debacle.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/26/2020 8:36 pm  #2

Re: The NHL Draft Riggi- I mean Lottery.

As strange as it is, I have to laugh at the misfortune of both the Kings and Senators to lose out on the number 1 to a playoff team. Fingers crossed that the team that also gets #1 wins the Stanley Cup for maximum meme-age. 

6/26/2020 8:38 pm  #3

I'll be as plain as possible. If the Ottawa Senators don't pick 1-3rd consecutively, Im pissed. Done deal, got it? Lafriene, Byfield, and Stutzl are Ottawa Senators property.

Yes, I'm joking.

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (6/26/2020 8:38 pm)

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

6/26/2020 8:56 pm  #4

As a Red Wings fan, I am baffled that we got the 4th pick when we were abysmal this year. It's not horrible by any means...just...disappointing ya know?

6/27/2020 9:20 am  #5

Honestly I know how you guys feel.  There was a year the Flyers were BY FAR the worst team in the league. But because of the lottery wanting to revitalize the Blackhawks - they got Patrick Kane and we got JVR (who's not bad but no Kane).  I thought they were going to fix it to get the Wings back ASAP.  

The thing that is strange to me...you now have all of the Qualifying teams having to decide whether or not they want to advance to the playoffs.  Each of the teams that lose the Qualifying round have a 12.5% chance at the top spot.  It is very interesting...at least it is not as rigged as the NBA is.

6/27/2020 9:39 am  #6

I hate the lottery system. There are so many instances where they feel like they could've been rigged. The single most blatant to me was in the NBA when LeBron "took his talents to South Beach", and then the Cavs immediately won the lottery for top pick. It really felt like the NBA was giving them a consolation prize

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/27/2020 11:48 am  #7

QCS wrote:

As strange as it is, I have to laugh at the misfortune of both the Kings and Senators to lose out on the number 1 to a playoff team. Fingers crossed that the team that also gets #1 wins the Stanley Cup for maximum meme-age. 

I’m positive that isn’t possible.

I do have to laugh at the Senators though. It’s the best outcome as a Sharks fan knowing we gave them that pick.

6/27/2020 12:13 pm  #8

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I hate the lottery system. There are so many instances where they feel like they could've been rigged. The single most blatant to me was in the NBA when LeBron "took his talents to South Beach", and then the Cavs immediately won the lottery for top pick. It really felt like the NBA was giving them a consolation prize

If I remember correctly the Cavs got the top pick 3 out of the 4 years. (Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett) Another bad example was Ewing to the Knicks.  Also Anthony Davis to the Pelicans when they were going to leave New Orleans and somehow they got the top pick. 

6/27/2020 12:34 pm  #9

Gritty wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

If I remember correctly the Cavs got the top pick 3 out of the 4 years. (Kyrie, Wiggins, Bennett) Another bad example was Ewing to the Knicks.  Also Anthony Davis to the Pelicans when they were going to leave New Orleans and somehow they got the top pick. 

Exactly. I 100% feel the NBA has no compunction rigging their lottery.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/27/2020 2:26 pm  #10

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Gritty wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Exactly. I 100% feel the NBA has no compunction rigging their lottery.

Oh, absolutely. Look at 2012: a team owned by the league looking for a new owner to take it off their hands somehow gets the number one pick for an all-time generational talent while the team who was quite literally the worst ever gets number two. Yes, I'm still bitter, why do you ask?

Board footera