Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2020 8:58 pm  #1

NHL Hero Teams

I play this with my dad a lot and the rules are simple. You create a team of six players from any era, one for each position and have to give your reasoning.  Now, normally I restrict it to one specific team, but for you guys I'll expand it to all 31 teams in the NHL. One restriction though, no active players. Guys like Henrik Lundquist aren't allowed either, cause they aren't officially retired yet, bit Daniel Alfredsson or the Sedins are.

I'll start us off.

LW: Darcy Tucker, Toronto Maple Leafs. Heart and soul player, put up decent numbers. Plus, his grit and determination makes him an amazing asset to any team.

C: Mike Fisher, Ottawa Senators. His physically presence, and his determination combined with a decent point total is so important.

RW: Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators. His speed, playmaking ability, and shot makes him a menace on the wing and makes him extremely valuable, even if injuries played him in the later years.

D: Brian McCabe, Toronto Maple Leafs. Although not the greatest goal scorer, McCabe has great physical presence that is invaluable in front of the net and the defensive corners.

D: Chris Phillips, Ottawa Senators. A big farm boy with good IQ and some decent ability. Not the greatest player, but I got to go with a favorite here.

G: Andrew Raycroft, Toronto Maple Leafs. Not the best goalie by any means, but like Tucker, I'll always love him no matter what.

Honorable mentions: Chris Neil, Wendel Clark, and Curtis Joseph.

Give me your team's, and let's see what we get! Most important, have fun!

Last edited by Osgiliath Guard (6/17/2020 9:23 pm)

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

6/17/2020 10:30 pm  #2

Re: NHL Hero Teams

Hmm interesting idea.  Not the best guys but simply the guys that for whatever reason you love? 

RW - Mikael Renberg - Flyers : My all time favorite player in any sport.  He was the underrated member of the Flyers' famed Legion of Doom line.  I always tried to wear #19 if at all possible.  I was at that age..when he got traded to Tampa..it crushed me.  Luckily he came back for another stint with the Flyers.

C - Rob Brind'Amour - Flyers : Remember before he was raising the cup in Carolina he was a stud in Philly.  Just a great leader and worker.  

LW - Simon Gagne - Flyers : He came to a few of my hockey camps.  Had some big goals for the Flyers - forcing Game 7 in OT against the Lightning in '05, the winning goal against Boston in '10 to cap of the 3-0 comeback.

D - Nicklas Lidstrom - Redwings / Sweden: For some reason I always root for the Swedes in the Olympics.  Perhaps it's their cool sweaters, perhaps all my two favorite players happen to be Swedes.  I also played defense my whole life and loved the way he played.  I always respected the Wings and he was Mr. Perfect. 

D - Scott Neidermayer - Devils - This kills me to say because he was a Devil and they ruined more years of hockey for me than I'd care to admit.  Boy, did I respect his game though.  My wife is a Devils fan, we have had to work on it, but her favorite player was Niedermayer and I knew she was a keeper.

G - Ron Hextall - Flyers - Scores goals, fights, and played pretty well in net.  Hextall was famous for 'pinging' the goal posts with his stick at games.  I actually was a ref at one of his sons youth games and he just sat in the top row of the arena.  Very intimidating.

Honorable Mention -

Peter White Phantoms/Flyers: Growing up it was cheaper to go to Philadelphia Phantoms games.  During the 90s Peter White was an AHL legend.  Him along with Richard Park, Neil Little, and Frank the Animal Bialowas they were as much a part of my childhood as the Flyers were.  

Sergei Zubov - Stars - super star and underrated defensemen.  

Paul Kariya - Mighty Ducks - what kid from the 90s didn't love that movie. He was a great guy and player.  I'll never forget him getting cheap shotted by Stevens in the Cup final and bouncing back and scoring the go ahead goal.  Too bad injuries cut him short.

John LeClair and Eric Lindros

Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk 

Claude Giroux

6/18/2020 7:20 am  #3

I must say Gritty, I thought I put together a physical team, but yours is just scary. Moreover, I think we're both really biased with our favorite teams. It will be interesting to see if others are like that.

6/18/2020 9:36 am  #4

I wonder if Gritty's a fan of the Flyers...

So I'm very casual when it comes to my hockey fandom. I don't really know players too much (aside from the big names), or guys that came through the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. So I like to see Coach Cooper do well with the Lightning, and my favorite current player is Anders Lee with the Islanders. But the teams I always want to see do well are the Flyers and Wild. I'm in Green Bay, WI, so most people who are hockey fans around here are Blackhawks (they seemed to come out of the woodwork the last 5-10 years) and Red Wings fans. I was never a big fan. I liked the Whalers as a kid, with the hidden H in the logo. I don't like teams to be in places that don't have ice naturally, so I couldn't cheer for the Hurricanes. Ended up with the Flyers. Added the Wild in when they joined the league. Love Minnesota's logo, don't like the name Wild all that much.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/18/2020 10:16 am  #5

I’ve never really gotten into Hockey, probably because the Coyotes are pretty much garbage every season. But I have seen some Tucson Roadrunners minor league games in recent memory

6/18/2020 10:37 am  #6

I tried to sprinkle in some non Flyers players in there.  It was a fun thing to do.  

6/18/2020 11:03 am  #7

As a bit of a younger hockey fan, there isn't a long list of players for a team like this but this is what I came up with in terms of favourite players that have called it a career.

LW Martin St. Louis - TB/NYR - Made a quick trade for St. Louis, easily one of my favs growing up as well, often find myself cheering on the small guys, being a short guy myself, but such a good player.

C Pavel Datsyuk - DET - Easy pick with Datsyuk, he was my true favourite growing up. After my minor stint as a Canadiens "fan", I joined my Dad's favourite squad in the Red Wings and Datsyuk's ability to beat anyone was just so good. 

RW Teemu Selane - WPG/ANA - Selanne is my true favourite player of all time, being a Jets fan it happens to come with that, I just love the player and he is so good throughout his career. I also a huge fan of his character off the ice.

D Nicklas Lidstrom - DET - Have a mini statue of this legend, great D-man and leader

D Niklas Kronwall - DET - No one runs guys over better than Kronwall.

G Roberto Luongo VAN/FLA - His character wins me over on this one, I love Louie off the ice and he's pretty great on the ice too. I felt like Goalie is hardest to pick for me as my favs have not retired yet. Much like a lot of players I would love to choose.

The team's aren't all the teams the players played for, just the ones that I remember or liked seeing them. Teemu in WPG was before my time, but I have seen many highlights from those days. 

Last edited by Wallflower (6/18/2020 5:10 pm)

6/18/2020 11:48 am  #8

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I wonder if Gritty's a fan of the Flyers...

So I'm very casual when it comes to my hockey fandom. I don't really know players too much (aside from the big names), or guys that came through the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. So I like to see Coach Cooper do well with the Lightning, and my favorite current player is Anders Lee with the Islanders. But the teams I always want to see do well are the Flyers and Wild. I'm in Green Bay, WI, so most people who are hockey fans around here are Blackhawks (they seemed to come out of the woodwork the last 5-10 years) and Red Wings fans. I was never a big fan. I liked the Whalers as a kid, with the hidden H in the logo. I don't like teams to be in places that don't have ice naturally, so I couldn't cheer for the Hurricanes. Ended up with the Flyers. Added the Wild in when they joined the league. Love Minnesota's logo, don't like the name Wild all that much.

I'm no Hurricanes fan (Charlotte and Raleigh do not get along, plus they mostly ruined the chance of Charlotte being a Big 4 city for now), but you'd be surprised how icy it can get in North Carolina. Every winter we don't get snow, but we do get plenty of slush and ice. Especially if you go up into the mountains, where it snows very consistently.

As for me, I actually know next to nothing about individual hockey players, but I do love the sport and Checkers games (especially playoff games - reigning Calder Cup champions!) are so much fun to go to. Hopefully I'll start to learn when the fantasy part of the AltHL takes off, but for now the only retired players I know are Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, and Bobby Orr. 

6/18/2020 12:11 pm  #9

Well Dan and Wallflower, here's hoping that you're learning hockey. I'm younger too (the Wild and the Jackets have a few years on me), but I grew up on Leafs TV's replays. I'm with you Wallflower, most of the players I wanted to put on my team are still playing, and will be for some time.

Hockey is the greatest sport on earth, and will always be Canada's game. But its for everyone, of all ages, races, and gender. Nothing will change that either. But one thing will always be the same: Hockey will always be played by those who love, whether digitally or physically. 

Wallflower and Dan O'Mac: Watch classic games on youtube, especially the big rivalries. Watch the Sens and Leafs in 2001-02 for really good hockey. Enjoy the greatest sport on earth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTeNS7Ds3U

6/18/2020 12:28 pm  #10

Osgiliath Guard wrote:

Well Dan and Wallflower, here's hoping that you're learning hockey. I'm younger too (the Wild and the Jackets have a few years on me), but I grew up on Leafs TV's replays. I'm with you Wallflower, most of the players I wanted to put on my team are still playing, and will be for some time.

Hockey is the greatest sport on earth, and will always be Canada's game. But its for everyone, of all ages, races, and gender. Nothing will change that either. But one thing will always be the same: Hockey will always be played by those who love, whether digitally or physically. 

Wallflower and Dan O'Mac: Watch classic games on youtube, especially the big rivalries. Watch the Sens and Leafs in 2001-02 for really good hockey. Enjoy the greatest sport on earth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTeNS7Ds3U

Thanks Osgiliath, don't worry I am a huge hockey fan and have been following closely since about '09, so I know my stuff. The big issue was with players that play like Wheeler, Scheifele, Toews, or even Ovi or Pietrangelo. 

I watch a lot of the playoffs and most Jets games when I can. I agree hockey is amazing and is my second favourite sport to Canadian Football. In fact, of all the major leagues the NHL feels the most competitive and balanced which makes it one of if not the best.

I will say, I am no fan of the Leafs, however I like Marner, I have a soft spot for the Sens and they would fall in my top 5 or 10 teams I think. 

Board footera