Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2020 4:44 pm  #11

Re: Funniest Personal Sports Memory(ies)

Rugrat wrote:

Back when I was in middle school, me and my best friend played little league. One year we were on different teams. Not to mention we were both pictures. We played against each other once. In my friends first at-bat of the game he hit a home run off me. I remember saying to myself “I’ll do the same.” And that is what exactly happened when I stepped up to bat my first time in the game. Both home runs were in the same spot and both came on a 2-2 count. My team won btw 4-3.

That’s great! If it wasn’t a youth league, I bet you’d admire it just to put it back into his face!

QCS wrote:

In 8th grade I decided to play on my school's basketball team, and found myself starting every game. I was one of two people that did so, and this is despite me scoring 6 total points in a 12-game season. (That said, I was taller than most other kids and my defense was absolutely my strong suit. Either way, it's kinda funny.) 

I couldn’t play basketball, I was short and besides, I was still doing travel hockey.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (6/12/2020 4:46 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/12/2020 9:01 pm  #12

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I had forgotten that you played hockey! Backed up for a former Colorado WSHL goalie if my memory serves me right..... ok maybe I didn’t recall all that but I do remember you mentioning something about being a goalie in a concept thread of mine in 2016 so I checked and found that out. Haha

Nailed it! Backed up Braeden Lajoie! Dude was unreal. Unfortunately, neither of those stories were while I was backing him up.

Actually restarted that project to see my progression and to work on my pen tool skills. Started the thread yesterday on the site that shall not be named. Did Colorado first this time around!

As for story, my junior year at ASU we had an 11:00 PM game against USC to start off our season. With the NCAA team around it was a disaster booking ice for three teams that really deserved it considering one gave scholarships to players and had just broken into the top 10 list of NCAA Mens Hockey and the other two were the reason the NCAA team existed, consistently going to ACHA nationals like they were paid to do it. Anyway, the game starts and the rookies were jittery, not being used to the electric atmosphere an 11 PM game holds. They decided to get a little rowdy and the next thing us vets realized is that the rookies had gotten us into a heated dogfight against a team that had no chance against us unless that route was taken. (Side Note: The reason why teams gained an edge is because the 3rd year players on the team, we had no seniors btw, were ones that had a lot of talent but played at this point only for fun). This led to a first period lead turning into a first period tie at intermission. Being a vocal person who knows they don't like being targeted let alone touched on my "farewell tour", came in and unleashed on some freshmen telling them not to be heroes and to play our skill game that I know they could play. This was harsh but true.

Second period starts and I ended up stopped in front of the net after their goalie makes a save, engaging in dumb, casual conversation that most players at that level like to partake in or at least think is humorous (Stupid stuff like, "have you seen my lungs" or something to a goalie like, "Man I almost ripped that shot right through your chest" when I in fact accidentally fluffed a saucer pass and it ended up at the goalie's chest). This time around I guess I found a player at the club level trying to gain some glory, and when I said something to his teammate the guy came to the rescue like a knight in shining armor. I didn't react, but it did end in whatever you want to call 10 borderline adults swinging at each other with cages on. USC's goalie, that I've known for years just from playing against him, drew the short stick in the scrum and hyperextended something, the poor guy. Time to call in the backup, right? No, he actually was deemed ineligible the week prior and they only had one goalie.

(This is where the personal, had to be there humor comes in so try to imagine)
Here we are. It is half way through the second period as the clock hits midnight. 4 refs are trying to keep guys away from each other while assessing pims for 10 separate players. The med staff is helping a goalie off the ice. And a USC player runs to the locker room to trade gear. THIS IS CLUB HOCKEY. The biggest sh-t show I've ever seen at one moment, summarizing the unpredictable nature and beauty of low level junior/club hockey. 

By the time the player/goalie got on the ice it was 12:30 and no one cared about any feuds at this point. We were back to the type of game we liked to play against a team vastly inferior with a player goalie. To summarize the third, ugly. 8-2 was your final score when the horn sounded, ending the game at 1:20 AM. The next day was 12-1, I believe. College hockey was a trip.

6/12/2020 9:10 pm  #13

Here we are. It is half way through the second period as the clock hits midnight. 4 refs are trying to keep guys away from each other while assessing pims for 10 separate players. The med staff is helping a goalie off the ice. And a USC player runs to the locker room to trade gear. THIS IS CLUB HOCKEY. The biggest sh-t show I've ever seen at one moment, summarizing the unpredictable nature and beauty of low level junior/club hockey. 

By the time the player/goalie got on the ice it was 12:30 and no one cared about any feuds at this point. We were back to the type of game we liked to play against a team vastly inferior with a player goalie. To summarize the third, ugly. 8-2 was your final score when the horn sounded, ending the game at 1:20 AM. The next day was 12-1, I believe. College hockey was a trip.

Wow! Sounds like our River Festival tournament we usually hold in Wichita each year. Games past midnight, and if the goalie goes, your team is screwed.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)

6/12/2020 9:45 pm  #14

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Wow! Sounds like our River Festival tournament we usually hold in Wichita each year. Games past midnight, and if the goalie goes, your team is screwed.

Yeah when my sister played softball, she had some games past midnight and I had to go to every one of them

6/13/2020 10:27 pm  #15

My funniest moment was probably during my first ever quidditch game. (If you don't know how quidditch works, it's more or less the same as the books except we can't fly. What you need to know here is that you throw bludgers instead of batting them and if you catch them you're not beat.) We were playing at an unofficial tournament in Worcester, and I was still playing beater at the time. I didn't have a bludger, but I managed to make a point-blank catch against an opposing beater's beat. The rest of my team was understandably impressed, but I just heard my name from the bench and got confused, turned around and promptly got beat in the back. Fortunately, it didn't matter at all, but it turns out I wasn't very good at beating and have since switched to chaser.

6/14/2020 1:55 pm  #16

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

My funniest moment was probably during my first ever quidditch game. (If you don't know how quidditch works, it's more or less the same as the books except we can't fly. What you need to know here is that you throw bludgers instead of batting them and if you catch them you're not beat.) We were playing at an unofficial tournament in Worcester, and I was still playing beater at the time. I didn't have a bludger, but I managed to make a point-blank catch against an opposing beater's beat. The rest of my team was understandably impressed, but I just heard my name from the bench and got confused, turned around and promptly got beat in the back. Fortunately, it didn't matter at all, but it turns out I wasn't very good at beating and have since switched to chaser.

Wow, a great moment turned into tragedy. Ya hate to see that!

6/14/2020 10:24 pm  #17

My family usually goes to the Stars NYE game, and one year we sat behind a group of three guys that would not shut up about anything that was going on during the game. They were just running their mouths about every player and action and everything they did over and over and it just became absolutely ridiculously funny.

As for a personal one, I'm manager of my school football team and we had just gotten done with a game about an hour from our school, and this was like, 10 or 11 at night. Earlier that day, my class had a college fair at a school across town, so we went there and then straight to the game, so one of our coaches drove some of us back to the school in the school van. Out of the blue, one of the guys just goes "can we go to Sonic?" and the coach agreed and just stopped at the nearest Sonic.

To be honest the second one probably isn't that funny, but I just thought it was funny that the coach agreed to do it at all. Our football team is rather chaotic.

6/15/2020 1:03 pm  #18

I played baseball in 8th grade after 3ish years of not playing, and I had terrible plate vision. I had one hit on the year. Anyway, I was up to bat. We were losing by a couple runs, so a hit was big. I couldn't tell if the pitch given was a ball or a strike, so I did the natural thing to do...swing with one hand! I ended up getting walked, but my friends still remind me of this moment years later. 

Board footera