Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2020 1:50 am  #1

Funniest Personal Sports Memory(ies)

So we have worst sports memories as fans, but this takes to more of a lighthearted fare. This will be for the funny personal sports stories that you’ve ever had, from pranks to the bizarre and all in between. Of course, I have a couple, so I’ll start us off:

1) Before a 14U game in Kansas City, in which we were playing outdoors (blech, never liked KCIC outdoors), I came out of the locker room for a bit before the game in full gear except for my helmet, gloves and stick. I had outdoor gear on, of course, and I was wearing a balaclava as well. Well, my head coach sees me, and says directly to me, “You look like a Teletubby!” And for the rest of that year, I had gotten the nickname of Po, after the Teletubby. (Also the same game my head coach got booted from, but that’s another story)

2) The multiple times my dad forgot stuff when packing the car. We had our last 10U tournament in Kansas City, and we were pulling off the highway to go to the at the time new KCIC, and all of a sudden, my dad drops a very audible, “OH S***!” and realized he left my stick at the house. So he rushed over to a sports store in the area and got one for me by the third period of our first game (Luckily, I wasn’t playing that game). Funny enough, that stick became my regular game stick for years until it snapped. Not to be outdone, he left my jerseys at the house when we went to the first tournament ever held in Dodge City. It took him until we got to Pratt, Kansas to realize he forgotten them.

Now it’s your turn! Come one come all as we have a look at the lighter side of sports!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

6/12/2020 2:03 am  #2

Re: Funniest Personal Sports Memory(ies)

I had forgotten that you played hockey! Backed up for a former Colorado WSHL goalie if my memory serves me right..... ok maybe I didn’t recall all that but I do remember you mentioning something about being a goalie in a concept thread of mine in 2016 so I checked and found that out. Haha

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (6/12/2020 2:05 am)

6/12/2020 7:34 am  #3

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I had forgotten that you played hockey! Backed up for a former Colorado WSHL goalie if my memory serves me right..... ok maybe I didn’t recall all that but I do remember you mentioning something about being a goalie in a concept thread of mine in 2016 so I checked and found that out. Haha

Nailed it! Backed up Braeden Lajoie! Dude was unreal. Unfortunately, neither of those stories were while I was backing him up.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)

6/12/2020 9:47 am  #4

So growing up, my stepdad coached Babe Ruth level baseball (13-15 year olds), so I got to be the team's batboy. I got to practice with the team (which was awesome being in a lower level), and eventually played for the team. But... I've got two short stories associated with that:
1) When I was 8ish, all the gear got loaded into my stepdad's truck, and I was getting a soda from the concession stand. My stepdad left me at the field. And drove 30 minutes home without me. Then got home, and my mom sent him right back to get me. I'm now sitting outside the field, alone, back in the pre-cellphone days, at almost 11 at night.
2) When I was 15, playing my last organized baseball, my stepdad, now my coach, asked all us 15 year olds what we wanted to play for the last game, since we had already clinched the championship. I said I had never played Catcher, so I wanted to. Thanks to 7 past balls, and a run scoring on a wild pitch, I promptly was moved back to my normal position of second base.

In High School, I was a wrestler, and I once got thrown out of a match and had a team point taken away. I was wrestling at 112 pounds, because I was a small guy as a Freshman (I grew 6 inches before the next season, and another 3 the year after), but I was pretty good at my weight. Not great, but not terrible. I wrestled for Sturgeon Bay, and our coaches son coached Milwaukee Custer. So Custer came to Sturgeon Bay for a dual. So we get there for the match, and I find out I'm wrestling a girl for the first time. No big deal. So I wrestle the match, and I pinned her in less than 30 seconds. Got up looked at the crowd, shrugged like it was no big deal, and then threw my arms out to the sides. Got thrown out because I was belittling the fact I beat the girl (not my intention, just being a cocky little sh-t). Coach still made me go shake the other team's coach's hand. All I remember is their bigger wrestlers screaming at me about disrespecting this girl (again, not my intention). I was absolutely TERRIFIED. First off, Sturgeon Bay is not an ethnically diverse city, so I only knew stereotypes, and expected to be beaten down by a gang for this.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/12/2020 10:33 am  #5

Back when I was in middle school, me and my best friend played little league. One year we were on different teams. Not to mention we were both pictures. We played against each other once. In my friends first at-bat of the game he hit a home run off me. I remember saying to myself “I’ll do the same.” And that is what exactly happened when I stepped up to bat my first time in the game. Both home runs were in the same spot and both came on a 2-2 count. My team won btw 4-3.

6/12/2020 10:35 am  #6

Dan O'Mac wrote:

So growing up, my stepdad coached Babe Ruth level baseball (13-15 year olds), so I got to be the team's batboy. I got to practice with the team (which was awesome being in a lower level), and eventually played for the team. But... I've got two short stories associated with that:
1) When I was 8ish, all the gear got loaded into my stepdad's truck, and I was getting a soda from the concession stand. My stepdad left me at the field. And drove 30 minutes home without me. Then got home, and my mom sent him right back to get me. I'm now sitting outside the field, alone, back in the pre-cellphone days, at almost 11 at night.
2) When I was 15, playing my last organized baseball, my stepdad, now my coach, asked all us 15 year olds what we wanted to play for the last game, since we had already clinched the championship. I said I had never played Catcher, so I wanted to. Thanks to 7 past balls, and a run scoring on a wild pitch, I promptly was moved back to my normal position of second base.

In High School, I was a wrestler, and I once got thrown out of a match and had a team point taken away. I was wrestling at 112 pounds, because I was a small guy as a Freshman (I grew 6 inches before the next season, and another 3 the year after), but I was pretty good at my weight. Not great, but not terrible. I wrestled for Sturgeon Bay, and our coaches son coached Milwaukee Custer. So Custer came to Sturgeon Bay for a dual. So we get there for the match, and I find out I'm wrestling a girl for the first time. No big deal. So I wrestle the match, and I pinned her in less than 30 seconds. Got up looked at the crowd, shrugged like it was no big deal, and then threw my arms out to the sides. Got thrown out because I was belittling the fact I beat the girl (not my intention, just being a cocky little sh-t). Coach still made me go shake the other team's coach's hand. All I remember is their bigger wrestlers screaming at me about disrespecting this girl (again, not my intention). I was absolutely TERRIFIED. First off, Sturgeon Bay is not an ethnically diverse city, so I only knew stereotypes, and expected to be beaten down by a gang for this.

Story 1 & 2: Wow, being left there is a major yikes. I wouldn’t want to be there as an 8-9 year old, that’s for sure! Plus I played catcher when I played baseball 12 years ago, I was lucky it was only recreationally.

Story 3: Huh, interesting. If you could enlighten me, I don’t know much about it, but what would be the standard reaction expected?

6/12/2020 10:44 am  #7

You made me remind of that one time I went into a tirade like that one kid who had a massive meltdown due to his Warcraft account being cancelled. All because of a Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern.

It was eight years ago, and Chelsea booked themselves to the UCL final thanks to late game heroic moments against Barcelona. At that time, I was a football fan jumping on successful bandwagons like the aforementioned Barca and Inter. Considering Bayern were pretty much juggernauts in the Bundesliga, naturally, I went to support them (that and I played as them during my PES days). It all came down to the final in Munich. Me and my brother were watching highlights on Facebook but I didn't know the end result prior to that. It doesn't help when Chelsea was my second brother's boyhood dream.

The first half of the game was your standard, run-of-the-mill football that, to the Americans out there, stereotypically end with a nil-nil draw. However, it was the last 10 minutes of the second half that basically turned up to eleven. The first goal of the game came from Bayern's Muller, provided by Ribery's lovely lob pass. I felt absolutely happy Bayern got the lead I expected them to do. However, Chelsea responded with Drogba's header with the help of Juan Mata during a corner attempt. Unsurprisingly, both of my brothers (who were rooting for Chelsea) cheered at the fact they drew the former 1-1. Keep in mind I rooted for Bayern to lift the trophy so watching them conceding a goal like this was an awful feeling...

That is until Drogba penalised Ribery which the former was booked with a yellow card. I thought this was pretty much game over for Chelsea as Bayern were about to take the opportunity to win the whole match. Unfortunately, the latter club's main keeper Cech saved a crucial penalty goal from Ribery's teammate Robben. Now shockingly, it all came down to penalties. At that point, my heart was beating as I was on a verge of crying if Chelsea won on shootouts, especially when I'm not ready for my brothers mocking me for being a spoiled glory hunter.

Spoiler alert, they did.

The fifth penalty attempt came in, and Schweinsteiger hit the right side of the goalpost. Drogba stepped in...

and he scored.

Cue minutes of me throwing a massive hissy fit and furious rants from my bedroom whilst my second brother was smiling and laughing all through the night. All due to Bayern practically screwed up in the worst way possible. It's even more embarrassing when I realised a German team lost against an English team.....by penalties. At that time, I always knew Germany get the upper hand over England in football (until 2018 World Cup). Now that reality ensues, my face pretty much hurt from all the slapping I got from this match.

This UCL final also reminded me of how Man United created the epic comeback at the dying seconds of the 1999 final against (who else?) Bayern. The first-minute goal from the latter's Basler, followed by Man United's Sheringham and Skolskjaer during injury time. If we were watching this in 1999 and I still rooted for Bayern, it'll be the same reaction as what we were watching in 2012.

Looking it back today, I'm ashamed to be jumping bandwagons during my younger years and I still regretted it eight years later. Currently, I'm a Man City fan and now I need to keep reminding of myself to stay with the team you support with the moment you start watching football. Even if the sheikh sells them to a new humble owner without money to spend on big signings.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

6/12/2020 11:05 am  #8

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

...So I wrestle the match, and I pinned her in less than 30 seconds. Got up looked at the crowd, shrugged like it was no big deal, and then threw my arms out to the sides. Got thrown out because I was belittling the fact I beat the girl (not my intention, just being a cocky little sh-t)...

Story 1 & 2: Wow, being left there is a major yikes. I wouldn’t want to be there as an 8-9 year old, that’s for sure! Plus I played catcher when I played baseball 12 years ago, I was lucky it was only recreationally.

Story 3: Huh, interesting. If you could enlighten me, I don’t know much about it, but what would be the standard reaction expected?

So really, unless it's a big match, which this was not, you should just head back to the center of the mat, shake your opponents' hand, then our school it was shake the opposing coach's hand, then celebrate with teammates. Apparently, the combination of the shrug, the smirk, and the throwing my arms out instead of going back to shake her hand was deemed "inappropriate". In retrospect, I assume it was because I was wrestling a girl (there's no boys/girls teams in Wisconsin, just one co-ed team), and she was black.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/12/2020 11:37 am  #9

FC Macbeth wrote:

You made me remind of that one time I went into a tirade like that one kid who had a massive meltdown due to his Warcraft account being cancelled. All because of a Champions League final between Chelsea and Bayern.

It was eight years ago, and Chelsea booked themselves to the UCL final thanks to late game heroic moments against Barcelona. At that time, I was a football fan jumping on successful bandwagons like the aforementioned Barca and Inter. Considering Bayern were pretty much juggernauts in the Bundesliga, naturally, I went to support them (that and I played as them during my PES days). It all came down to the final in Munich. Me and my brother were watching highlights on Facebook but I didn't know the end result prior to that. It doesn't help when Chelsea was my second brother's boyhood dream.

The first half of the game was your standard, run-of-the-mill football that, to the Americans out there, stereotypically end with a nil-nil draw. However, it was the last 10 minutes of the second half that basically turned up to eleven. The first goal of the game came from Bayern's Muller, provided by Ribery's lovely lob pass. I felt absolutely happy Bayern got the lead I expected them to do. However, Chelsea responded with Drogba's header with the help of Juan Mata during a corner attempt. Unsurprisingly, both of my brothers (who were rooting for Chelsea) cheered at the fact they drew the former 1-1. Keep in mind I rooted for Bayern to lift the trophy so watching them conceding a goal like this was an awful feeling...

That is until Drogba penalised Ribery which the former was booked with a yellow card. I thought this was pretty much game over for Chelsea as Bayern were about to take the opportunity to win the whole match. Unfortunately, the latter club's main keeper Cech saved a crucial penalty goal from Ribery's teammate Robben. Now shockingly, it all came down to penalties. At that point, my heart was beating as I was on a verge of crying if Chelsea won on shootouts, especially when I'm not ready for my brothers mocking me for being a spoiled glory hunter.

Spoiler alert, they did.

The fifth penalty attempt came in, and Schweinsteiger hit the right side of the goalpost. Drogba stepped in...

and he scored.

Cue minutes of me throwing a massive hissy fit and furious rants from my bedroom whilst my second brother was smiling and laughing all through the night. All due to Bayern practically screwed up in the worst way possible. It's even more embarrassing when I realised a German team lost against an English team.....by penalties. At that time, I always knew Germany get the upper hand over England in football (until 2018 World Cup). Now that reality ensues, my face pretty much hurt from all the slapping I got from this match.

This UCL final also reminded me of how Man United created the epic comeback at the dying seconds of the 1999 final against (who else?) Bayern. The first-minute goal from the latter's Basler, followed by Man United's Sheringham and Skolskjaer during injury time. If we were watching this in 1999 and I still rooted for Bayern, it'll be the same reaction as what we were watching in 2012.

Looking it back today, I'm ashamed to be jumping bandwagons during my younger years and I still regretted it eight years later. Currently, I'm a Man City fan and now I need to keep reminding of myself to stay with the team you support with the moment you start watching football. Even if the sheikh sells them to a new humble owner without money to spend on big signings.

I was kinda the same way. I used to always just root for the team Christian Benteke (my favorite player because of KSI’s wager matches) was on (trust me, it was tough to explain that I was an Aston Villa fan). But now I do have a core team to follow in Arsenal. Trust me, Unai Emery ran them into the ground.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

...So I wrestle the match, and I pinned her in less than 30 seconds. Got up looked at the crowd, shrugged like it was no big deal, and then threw my arms out to the sides. Got thrown out because I was belittling the fact I beat the girl (not my intention, just being a cocky little sh-t)...

So really, unless it's a big match, which this was not, you should just head back to the center of the mat, shake your opponents' hand, then our school it was shake the opposing coach's hand, then celebrate with teammates. Apparently, the combination of the shrug, the smirk, and the throwing my arms out instead of going back to shake her hand was deemed "inappropriate". In retrospect, I assume it was because I was wrestling a girl (there's no boys/girls teams in Wisconsin, just one co-ed team), and she was black.

Ah, okay got it. So it’s more of an act like you’ve been there before thing. I’ve had a lot of those back when I played forward (can’t really play forward now, goalie skating has changed me so badly).

6/12/2020 4:32 pm  #10

In 8th grade I decided to play on my school's basketball team, and found myself starting every game. I was one of two people that did so, and this is despite me scoring 6 total points in a 12-game season. (That said, I was taller than most other kids and my defense was absolutely my strong suit. Either way, it's kinda funny.) 

Board footera