Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2020 9:00 pm  #31

Re: NFL-PCFL Simulation

I don't understand why this would be interesting to read though. It's a plethora of stats and numbers, but I don't understand the why behind even WHY some teams are where they are. Why did the St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Rams, and San Francisco 49ers leave the NFL and go to the PCFL? Why are they the Bay City Patriots? Why are they the Texans and not the Cowboys?

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/15/2020 10:25 pm  #32

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I don't understand why this would be interesting to read though. It's a plethora of stats and numbers, but I don't understand the why behind even WHY some teams are where they are. Why did the St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Rams, and San Francisco 49ers leave the NFL and go to the PCFL? Why are they the Bay City Patriots? Why are they the Texans and not the Cowboys?

They left the league for not having more western expansion, and being basically treated like dirt (in the case of the Cardinals). The Patriots owner wanted to name the team Bay State so I went with it.

Also the Dallas Texans, aren't the Cowboys. In this world, Lamar Hunt's Dallas Texans team is admitted to the NFL in 1960, so there is no reason for the Dallas Cowboys.

As to why its interesting, I have a large thread on the other site with the same stuff. Its all based on Simulations from Whatifsports.

Owner of the Texas Jackalopes 
2008-2009 AltBA Champions

6/15/2020 10:57 pm  #33

I think what Dan really is saying is that we all want that story included in this thread. We want to know the story. We all don’t care much for the stats

6/15/2020 11:19 pm  #34

BengalErnst28 wrote:

I think what Dan really is saying is that we all want that story included in this thread. We want to know the story. We all don’t care much for the stats

I can get that, but I've been doing that in the summaries. Also I have the simulations up til 2019, so there are plenty of stories that I can tell once I've posted it.

6/16/2020 11:33 am  #35

So in this timeline:
*The AFL never got off the ground (so no Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, or Cincinnati Bengals; also, no AFL-NFL merger, which means no "Super Bowl")
*The Dallas Cowboys never existed, which means the Dallas Texans never moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs
*The WFL (which ran from 1974 to 1975 IOTL) also never existed
*Most likely, there would be no USFL either

Last edited by joho42x (6/16/2020 11:34 am)

6/16/2020 11:35 am  #36

Enigmajones wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

They left the league for not having more western expansion, and being basically treated like dirt (in the case of the Cardinals). The Patriots owner wanted to name the team Bay State so I went with it.

Also the Dallas Texans, aren't the Cowboys. In this world, Lamar Hunt's Dallas Texans team is admitted to the NFL in 1960, so there is no reason for the Dallas Cowboys.

As to why its interesting, I have a large thread on the other site with the same stuff. Its all based on Simulations from Whatifsports.

And that's exactly what I'd be (and I'd like to assume more people are) looking for, the stories as to why the teams left the NFL. There's no point in getting the story AFTER the stat/results block, as we know who's going to win. We know the results. If you come in now and write a story for 1980, and say "the Eagles made some changes off-season, can they win now?", well, we know that the can.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/16/2020 12:08 pm  #37

Exactly. This universe has potential and we’re all commenting because we want to read the story. Mix the stats in with the story. Check out my league here on the site, or some of the other much more detailed and brilliant stories here on these boards. None are perfect but it’ll give you an idea or suggestions on how to better wrap it all together.

But at the end of the day, this is your universe so share it how you want, and what do I know. You have a lot more readers and commenters on your universe than I do mine.

Last edited by BengalErnst28 (6/16/2020 12:14 pm)

6/16/2020 5:45 pm  #38

BengalErnst28 wrote:

Exactly. This universe has potential and we’re all commenting because we want to read the story. Mix the stats in with the story. Check out my league here on the site, or some of the other much more detailed and brilliant stories here on these boards. None are perfect but it’ll give you an idea or suggestions on how to better wrap it all together.

But at the end of the day, this is your universe so share it how you want, and what do I know. You have a lot more readers and commenters on your universe than I do mine.

I appreciate the feedback, but Im not sure how you guys want me to tell the story. I did the summaries to be more in line with the sites rules. To me the seasons were the interesting part. I understand thats not as prevalent on this site. Do you have ay pointers to tie my TL to the story? Let me know.

6/16/2020 5:48 pm  #39

joho42x wrote:

So in this timeline:
*The AFL never got off the ground (so no Buffalo Bills, New York Jets, or Cincinnati Bengals; also, no AFL-NFL merger, which means no "Super Bowl")
*The Dallas Cowboys never existed, which means the Dallas Texans never moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs
*The WFL (which ran from 1974 to 1975 IOTL) also never existed
*Most likely, there would be no USFL either

You're correct about the AFL, same for Dallas, and the WFL. As for the USFL, it does exist and lasts, but only in the spring. The first one lasted from 1983 to 1998, then the second from 2002 to present.

6/16/2020 11:01 pm  #40

Enigmajones wrote:

BengalErnst28 wrote:

I appreciate the feedback, but Im not sure how you guys want me to tell the story. I did the summaries to be more in line with the sites rules. To me the seasons were the interesting part. I understand thats not as prevalent on this site. Do you have ay pointers to tie my TL to the story? Let me know.

When you post the seasons it feels like a huge rush of numbers and information that I (and I'm assuming everyone else) don't really know what to do with, and then you provide some summaries of what happened after-the-fact. I think in order to be successful, it would help to do two things. One, more stories and summaries would be nice. Its hard to grow an emotional attachment to a team if you know nothing about it. Two, it would definitely help if you posted things in chronological order i.e. offseason updates and changes, then the regular season, then the playoffs, then the next offseason etc.,

I think this has some potential, especially considering the depths of the stats you have, but as a reader it is hard to following something if you don't understand it. I think this thread would definitely benefit from greater storytelling and as a way to make it easier to understand, I think you should follow some sort of chronological order.

Board footera