Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2020 11:13 pm  #51

Re: Robin Island Baseball Federation

After a break, I'm back with the 1958 RIBF season!

The Crusaders and Robins finished at the top of their leagues once again, but not without a fight. Both the Carp and Tigers had a chance in the SBL to dethrone the reigning champs, while the Shrikes found themselves in the basement once again. Meanwhile, the Canaries were actually in the lead most of the season, with the Senators striking hard near the end before relenting to the Robins for another shot at the title. The Monarchs had a decent season, while the Shockers' offseason moves completely backfired and they ended up with the Emeralds in the basement of the league. 

In the first rematch in the RICS, the Crusaders will look to defend their crown against the Robins, who are trying to give the RBL their first title. On paper, Shinkyo once again has the better team, but they took Joestar for granted last time and found themselves caught off-guard. They'll try not to repeat that mistake this season.

NEXT: 1958 RICS!

7/08/2020 3:13 pm  #52

Apologies everyone, but as I was setting up the new teams in OOTP, I lost the scores for the RICS. However, I do have the results:

For the first time, the Robin Bay League has captured the Federation as the Shinkyo Robins swept the Joestar Crusaders to win it all! 

YOUR 1959 RICS CHAMPIONS ARE: SHINKYO ROBINS!

I'm also including several new updates to teams, including the brand-new San Moriuchi team! There were three existing teams that made updates alongside the new relocation. 

The Joestar Crusaders didn't change the jerseys at all, but made the darker purple official and updated their shield to have a white stroke around it. No other changes were made.

The Senators, as part of their move to the Shinsakai Bay League, adopted a new "S" logo and officially changed the name from "Shinkyo Baseball Club" to "Shinkyo Senators". The home jersey was changed to feature the S and front numbers while also having red placket and sleeve striping. The number font was changed and the cap was changed to be red with a blue bill and featuring the new S on it. The road also was changed drastically, as the team wanted to adopt a more traditional look and made the road jersey all gray. The "SHINKYO" wordmark remains the same while the socks now have a double blue-on-white striping pattern. In fact, the only thing that wasn't changed was the home pants in this total overhaul.

When the Shrikes caught wind of the fact that Sens got matching road pants, they quickly put into motion new tan pants that match their road jersey. A couple other small changes were made, as the outline on the back numbers was changed to black and the socks gained the dual stars on them. One is on each side.

The Canaries finally revealed their name and identity in a ceremony at Canary Mining Ballpark in San Moriuchi, their new home. The name is the San Moriuchi Kings!

About San Moriuchi:

San Moriuchi, named after Takahiro Moriuchi, a Japanese convert to Christianity that was very prominent in the early days of Sierra, is the biggest city in the province as well the capital. It's the 11th most populous city in the country and is where most of the biggest energy companies are headquartered. Some of those include Robin Energy, San Moriuchi Electric Power Company (SMEPC), and Golden Power. The city has developed a love for basketball and hockey, oddly enough, and the massive corporations based in it have provided plenty of support in order to gain favor among local fans. The local art scene is also large, with festivals frequently held throughout the year.

About the Identity:
The Kings name has nothing to do with San Moriuchi, but rather, appealed to owner Bernard Bertram in an initial meeting to determine the new name. Despite some attempts by team executives to get a more local name, Bertram stuck with Kings and the new identity was made. The colors of black and yellow were kept while the new "ruby red" was added, some say as a nod to the team's time in Roosevelt. Plenty of references to the Canaries were kept, such as the wordmark's font, thick yellow striping, and road jersey with the monogram placed in the front. However, black replaced yellow as the primary color and it shows. A black cap with yellow bill remains while the home uniforms introduces pinstripes to the SBL. The socks are black with a massive yellow stripe and the road uniform is black with an all-yellow version of the logo placed up front. The logo itself is a block SM with a crown placed on top with a ruby placed in the center. 

Additionally, the league revealed that they have new logos to unveil later while the two expansion teams will be released soon. Stay tuned!

NEXT: 1959 Offseason - HOKKYO and YOSEMITE

7/08/2020 4:14 pm  #53

I really like the look of the Kings. You kept much of that worked for the Canaries, and gave them a strong new look.

I wouldn't mind seeing a touch more of the ruby color in the uniforms in the future as well.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/10/2020 12:42 am  #54

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I really like the look of the Kings. You kept much of that worked for the Canaries, and gave them a strong new look.

I wouldn't mind seeing a touch more of the ruby color in the uniforms in the future as well.

Thanks! Ruby will see more usage in the future but for now I wanted an almost strange transition set from the yellow-dominant Canaries to the black-dominant Kings. Certain key elements (pinstripes, thick striping) will stick around, others I'll experiment with.

Anyway, I do have a few new things to show off, including two brand-new teams! But first, the league itself has new pieces of branding to utilize.

Inspired by both American and Japanese leagues, the RIBF has given its own leagues official logos to use. Both are inspired by the general geographic shape of the bay that inspired the name, using a varied color scheme of the Federation's pink and either black or white. These will be used to award championship banners to teams and in other various ways, including the new All-Star Game that will take place. The first-ever league All-Star Game will take in Yosemite, hosted by the new team.

First up, the Hokkyo team.

About Hokkyo:

Hokkyō, so named because it's in the north and a capital, is the largest city in Hokken and notably the home of Robin Island hockey. It's also home to RIR North (Robin Island Rail North, the northern division of the national rail service, the others are RIR Aorin, RIR East, RIR Luna Island, RIR Ōyachi, RIR South, and RIR West, based in Aorin-shi, San Juan, Crescent City, Ōyachi-shi, Queenston, and Joestar, respectively). RIR North covers Hokken, Cloudsgate, most of Columbia, and the northern part of Toramoto, building and maintaining bullet train lines and other smaller services as well. Hokkyō is also famous for its fashion, with White Lily being the most famous fashion company in the country.

About the Identity:
The team takes its name from the provincial bird of Hokken, the Raicho, or thunderbird. The primary logo is a bird rising with a thunderbolt tail and eye, while the cap logo is an interlocked "HT" with a thunderbolt. The jerseys take inspiration from the NPB's Chunichi Dragons, who take inspiration from the (now) Los Angeles Dodgers but clean up the brand by eliminating red, leaving only blue and white. The home jersey says "RAICHO", the team's name in Japanese, making them the first team to do so. Blue striping is utilizing throughout the set such as on the sleeves, placket, and pants, while the socks are plain blue. The cap is blue with a modified version of the secondary to make the "thunder T" more readable. The road simply switches blue and white and replaces "Raicho" with "Hokkyo", fittingly the same number of characters. The numbers are the same used by the Dodgers.

About the Team:
As a brand new team, there's not much to expect. They've been mostly overshadowed by Yosemite this expansion cycle, but hope that fans in Hokkyo can come out and support the team.

Finally, Yosemite's new team!

About Yosemite:

Yosemite, despite being the capital, is the smallest major city in Roosevelt and is the 9th largest overall. It was a small town before being selected as the provincial capital and it boomed from there. The city still retains its mining roots, with the famous red clay found all over, including Yosemite's world-famous red clay brick government buildings. The city adores baseball and football, to the point where civic holidays are celebrated on days where those two teams are competing for something big. The city purposefully developed a culture of anti-modernism, relying on mined coal and old technology, much to the chagrin of the federal government and Columbia, Roosevelt's green northern neighbor. Provincial officials support the actions as small ways to get back at the federal government, but some concerned citizens have been protesting the actions since the early 2000s.

Yosemite previously had the Canaries as an original team, but they moved in 1959 to become the San Moriuchi Kings. 

About the Identity:
The name Grizzlies was selected to pay tribute to owner Stewart Keighley's home state of California as well as the "western" nature of Roosevelt and Yosemite in particular. That tribute went further as the New York Giants, now in San Francisco, served as the base of reference for the Grizzlies. However, they swapped out black for Grizzly brown and emphasized cream while slightly de-emphasizing orange. Tuscan was the name of the game as every font uses it, from the home "Grizzlies" to the away "Yosemite". The home jersey is a shade of cream, new to the RIBF, while the sleeves use brown-orange-brown striping to give some color. The pants have a single grizzly-colored stripe down the side while the socks separate the stripes to give a neat cream-brown-orange-brown-cream set. The cap is brown with an orange bill and an orange paw while the away is brown with orange and cream outlines.

About the Team:
With the Canaries building a competitive team while out the door, the Grizzlies hope to gain an edge right away. They've instantly formed a rivalry with the Kings which should help attendance while also playing in a ballpark about 1.5 times larger. The Federation is hoping that Yosemite works out this time, but evidence points to this one being a success.

What do you think? I'm particuarly proud of the Grizzlies for their nice color scheme and usage of cream. Have the T-Birds or Grizzlies supplanted your favorite team? C&C Welcome!

Last edited by QCS (7/10/2020 12:43 am)

7/10/2020 12:52 am  #55

Also, I have some new sigs! I call this the "Cutout Series".

Aorin

Hokkyo

Joestar

Queenston

San Juan

San Moriuchi

Shinkyo Robins

Shinkyo Senators

Shinosaka

Toramoto

Vertlac

Yosemite:

Enjoy!

7/10/2020 2:19 am  #56

The Thunderbirds look great, nice classic baseball look.

Yosemite just works, big fan of the name and color scheme, well done!

7/10/2020 7:51 am  #57

Both of these just work. The Grizzlies have a great color scheme.

I think the Kings and Carp are battling for being my favorite

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/10/2020 10:51 am  #58

These are some of the most creative sigs I’ve ever seen.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/10/2020 1:46 pm  #59

Section30 wrote:

The Thunderbirds look great, nice classic baseball look.

Yosemite just works, big fan of the name and color scheme, well done!

Thanks! I was hoping you'd like the T-Birds. 

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Both of these just work. The Grizzlies have a great color scheme.

I think the Kings and Carp are battling for being my favorite

Thank you! I knew as soon as I saw the cream I wanted to pair it with brown and orange. The Grizzlies might be my favorite team!

ThisIsFine wrote:

These are some of the most creative sigs I’ve ever seen.

Thank you! I got the idea with the Carp initially and it worked perfectly for them, less so for other teams but I really like how it looks anyway.

7/11/2020 9:11 pm  #60

The 1959 season has concluded, here's how things look:

In the RBL, the Robins dominated once again, producing the best season seen yet in Robin Island. Beneath them, the Kings and Emeralds had decent seasons, with San Moriuchi coming out to support the team. The Shockers have been flailing despite several offseason moves and the Monarchs seem content to lay in the basement. Beneath the basement, the Grizzlies did absolutely nothing good this season, losing enough to break my new template and setting a record for losses in a season. 

Their partners in the SBL didn't fare much better, beating the Grizzlies by only 3 games. The Tigers and Shrikes had poor seasons, getting beat up for most of it. It was a three-team race for the top, as the newcomers Shinkyo faced the Crusaders and Carp for the title. It came down to the last day, as the Sens took down the T-Birds and anxiously awaited the score of the Carp-Crusaders game. Aorin might've been eliminated but they could still play spoiler to the Crusaders and that's exactly what they did. Joestar couldn't beat the Fish to force a tiebreaker and the first all-Shinkyo RICS was born! 

The all-time Robins face their SBL counterparts in the Senators in order to defend their title. Last time they set a record for wins they were upset by the Crusaders but the Senators are hungry for their first championship. 

NEXT: 1959 RICS!

Last edited by QCS (7/11/2020 9:12 pm)

Board footera