Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2020 8:41 am  #101

Re: Escalian Football League

Ashonta Miners: Other than I feel that a little more white on the home jersey would help the color balancing out, I think this is a really solid set!  It might be interesting to see if eventually they consider just having a forward facing pickax on the helmet without the A.  Still, really good job on this one!

Homestead Reapers: I'll admit that I've never been a fan of shoulder yokes in football, but I certainly agree that the Reapers will stand out against the rest of the league.  I'm guessing this would be the team that changes jerseys a lot to experiment with trends and whatnot, but again that's just a guess.   I have to ask, does this team have black and two different gray colors?  I've seen this football jerseys before have the black color show as a dark gray before, but I actually can see black numbers and stripes, plus two different grays.  It's definitely a unique take for sure!

Will say that I really like that logo a lot!  Very nice!

7/17/2020 3:37 pm  #102

Wallflower wrote:

Love the tradition of the star on the jersey taking shape as time goes on!
Ashonta's look is honestly one of my favourites at the moment, the colour scheme is intriguing and I love that number font. I might finally have a team in the running as a favourite.
As for Homestead, it is a very different but awesome take on the black and silver colour scheme, very cool!

Glad you like the teams! The reason I went for brown/gold for the Miners was that I think it's a great color scheme that goes underused in sports, and I wanted to use it here.

GoRedSox96 wrote:

I like both new teams! The Miners really reminds me of U of Wyomings look. The Reapers don't look half bad either

Thanks and welcome aboard! The Miners were partially based on Wyoming's look, but mainly just the color scheme. 

Stickman wrote:

Ashonta Miners: Other than I feel that a little more white on the home jersey would help the color balancing out, I think this is a really solid set!  It might be interesting to see if eventually they consider just having a forward facing pickax on the helmet without the A.  Still, really good job on this one! 

Homestead Reapers: I'll admit that I've never been a fan of shoulder yokes in football, but I certainly agree that the Reapers will stand out against the rest of the league.  I'm guessing this would be the team that changes jerseys a lot to experiment with trends and whatnot, but again that's just a guess.   I have to ask, does this team have black and two different gray colors?  I've seen this football jerseys before have the black color show as a dark gray before, but I actually can see black numbers and stripes, plus two different grays. 

It's definitely a unique take for sure! Will say that I really like that logo a lot!  Very nice!

For Ashonta, I tried to have them use a brown helmet, but could not get them to work, so a white helmet it was. I'll definitely balance out the white more in the future, along with the axe wrap-around going on the helmet since IIRC there aren't any pro teams that have those elements. Homestead's goal was to look unique in a very traditional league. They'll definitely be changing up their look every couple of year to continue to have that unique look. As for the color discrepancy, they only have one shade of black, it's just gray on the template since black clashes with the details on the template, and I would like to keep those. Hopefully it isn't too distracting. 
Always love your C&C Stick! Thanks! 

ThisIsFine wrote:

What are some notable Escalian college football teams and their nicknames?

Here are some of the colleges that have already been mentioned or about to be mentioned in this year's offseason post:
Argil Agricultural College Aggies
Howle College Owls
Arcanora Tech Hawks
Toukier Provincial Bulldogs
University of Argil Forresters
University of Huron Golden Eagles
Tallokope Provincial Cowboys
Great Plains Provincial Wolves
Bristol University Blues
Taerrisia Provincial Neptunes
University of Pascoa Pirates
Tallokope University Bandits
Escalian Military Academy Knights
Kier University Lions
Triplet Lakes University Sailors
University of Toukier at Hadley Wildcats 

The 1964 Offseason post will be up shortly!

Last edited by DireBear (7/17/2020 3:46 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

7/17/2020 3:45 pm  #103

1964 Offseason Part 2:

Expansion Draft:
In the expansion draft, Each team listed 8 players out of their 38 team roster for both Ashonta and Homestead to draft. In the coin toss, Ashonta won, and was presented with the option of either having the first pick in the expansion draft or the first pick in the rookie draft. They elected to take the latter, resulting in Homestead having the first pick. Notable players taken include Owls backup RB Rudolf Warwick and aging DT Carl Rivers from Ellesby going to Homestead, and ‘Jacks backup RB Henry Waller going to Ashonta.

1964 Entry Draft:
1st - Ashonta Miners: QB Damien Dircksens (Tallokope Provincial)
The Miners seemingly chose correctly to take the first pick in the Entry Draft, as they immediately snagged the best player off the board in hopes of a quick success for the fledgling franchise.
2nd - Homestead Reapers: QB Garret Morse (Escalian Military Academy)
In turn, the Reapers selected the next best QB off the board, who is seen as a controversial pick as Morse has made it clear he wishes to serve his time in the military before joining the team. Despite this, he racked up record numbers at EMA, winning the Ward Trophy in the process.
3rd - Orcaster Racers: LB Jamie Thatcher (University of Huron)
Orcaster plugs a hole on the defense by adding the Ward runner-up to their defense, hopefully reinvigorating their team to do well once again.
4th - Ellesby Mariners: OL Robert Bently (University of Pascoa)
The Mariners try to put some life into their dying offense by adding the best lineman available to protect their assets in the backfield.
5th - Adelaide Owls: DB Gerrard Cooper (Toukier Provincial)
Cooper goes to the Owls to replace retired DB’s Lincoln and Breckinridge (who retired after the 1960 season) and to put life back into the dead Owls defense.
6th - Duvall Dragons: DB Jimmy Walterson (Argil Agricultural)
The trend of plugging in the gaps continues, Walterson goes to the Dragons when they need help on the defensive side of the ball.
7th -  Hadley Gatekeepers: DB Jacob Christopherson (Tallokope University)
The ‘Keepers need some help on the defensive side of the ball as well, so they take Christopherson to bolster their already weak secondary that gets torched on a yearly basis by their rivals down-province in Kierport.
8th - Norfolk Lumberjacks: DL Kent Beyer (Kier University)
Norfolk adds to its defense with some new blood in Beyer, who had a career year in his last year as a Lion, making him the obvious number #1 defensive lineman in the draft
9th - Kierport Knights: LB Jack Derrick (Triplet Lakes University)
With both starting LB’s leaving or retiring within the past two years, the Knights need another LB to fill in the gaps that were left open on the defense, so they take the best LB available in Derrick, who almost won defensive player of the year in college at TLU.
10th - Augusta Bulls: WR Adriano Rakes (University of Toukier at Hadley)
With the 10th pick, the Bulls capitalized off of last year’s WR pick in Rookie of the Year Lloyd Blackman by taking another receiver, this time an All-Escalian in Rakes, who “raked” up record numbers last year in his final season as a Wildcat.

Player/Coach Movements:
In player retirements, plenty of big name players decided that the ‘63 campaign was their last. The Owls defense continued to dismantle, as both DT Al Berry and DB Emerson Lincoln hung up their cleats after 15 and 9 seasons, respectively. Hadley’s starting RB Lester Daelman called it quits after 10 seasons in the bigs, who quietly competed with Acker and Belmont for the league’s rushing title for the past 2 years. 
In the coaching carousel, Duvall HC Jim Koch was fired and replaced by Taerrisian Provincial HC Artur Acterburg. Ownership was fed up with Koch after two mediocre seasons with a team that they thought could be in playoff contention. Acterburg is a worthy replacement, as he led the Neptunes to 3 straight scoring titles and a national title as well.  

Rules Changes:
The Owner’s Council made two significant rule changes in this offseason. The first was that to accommodate for the addition of 4 teams, the season would be expanding from 10 to 12 games starting in the 1964 season. Playoff structure will remain the same, with the top two teams from each division facing off to determine who goes to the Cup. The other change is that each team is mandated to add a player name plate to the back of the jersey, as seen with the two expansion teams and the Bulls in their designs (Note: I will not be updating the other teams, as it’s a minor change that I don’t feel like going through each team and adding it lol)
Also on the table this year were talks of hosting the Escalian Cup at a neutral site instead of the team with the better record. Not enough owners were interested in the idea, mainly those who frequent the playoffs, but the smaller owners argued that it could bring in more revenue to teams. The dissenting owners decided that they would hold off the vote until next year at the least, seeing how this year's Escalian Cup would do compared to past years.

Power Rankings:
Norfolk Lumberjacks
Kierport Knights
Augusta Bulls
Hadley Gatekeepers
Duvall Dragons
Orcaster Racers
Homestead Reapers
Ellesby Mariners
Ashonta Miners
Adelaide Owls 

7/20/2020 3:06 pm  #104

Post #100! Woohoo!

North Division:
For the first time since the inaugural season, the Kierport Knights did not win their division. In their place, the Gatekeepers finally broke through and took home their first North Division title. QB Jack Reuter had another career year, becoming the first passer in the EFL to pass for over 3000 yards in a season, barely making it over at 3017 total yards in the regular season. Kierport only came in second at a half game back, still seemingly the same team that has brought them to 3 straight Cups. Acker and Dane didn’t have the same stats as in years before, but still performed like the players they’ve always been. RB Robert Underwood continued to perform above his level like the past two years though. Ellesby had an up year, as in they didn’t finish either last or second to last in the North. Orcaster barely avoided another disaster of a year like last year, but managed to get a few wins and avoid the basement. The new occupants of the basement now go to the expansion Miners, who didn’t fare too well and only put together two wins to their name in their first year.

South Division:
Augusta stayed on top of the South Division once again, this time becoming the first team with 10 regular season wins in league history. DT Gideon Skeates continued to dominate on the defensive side of the ball, which resulted in him becoming the first defensive player to win Most Valuable Player. Norfolk came in second once again, feeding the beast in Eddy Belmont to truck over almost all teams in their division, except for Augusta. Duvall finally made it over the .500 hump, with QB Harold Bauer growing into a star with the limited pieces around him. The other expansion in the Reapers had more success, going 6-6 and showing some promise to be competitive in the already stacked South Division, with replacement rookie QB Christian Tunison winning Rookie of the Year. The Owls, on the other hand, continued their rapid descent into the basement, not winning a single game until they managed to sneak out a win in week 12 against the Miners, setting the unfortunate record for most games without a win at 11. 

Awards:
Most Valuable Player: DT Gideon Skeates (AUG)
Most Valuable Coach:  Kevin Lowe (AUG) (x2)
Most Outstanding Offensive Player: QB Jack Reuter (HAD)
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: DT Jesse Wechler (AUG)
Most Outstanding Rookie: QB Christian Tunison (HOM)

Playoff Preview:

Kierport Knights @ Hadley Gatekeepers:
For the third straight year, the Knights and Gatekeepers meet for a trip to the Escalian Cup. This time, the host shifts to Hadley, who took the division title over Kierport. Hadley is now more hungry than ever to reach the Cup, but the Knights are still the Knights and look to make it 4 straight appearances and solidifying the title of the first Escalian football dynasty. 
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: For all you Gatekeepers fans, you’ll have to wait another year, as the Knights fight a close one to make it 4 straight. 16-14 KIE

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Augusta Bulls:
This seems to be the year of rematches, as Norfolk and Augusta meet once again in the division final. Augusta’s defense is now more fleshed out and dominant than last year, and their offense isn’t anything to take lightly either, as RB Gabriel Sydney won the rushing title this year and QB Christopher Lyon is forming great chemistry with his two young receivers. Norfolk still has Eddy Belmont, and he looks as fierce as ever. 
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: The Bulls’ dominant defense will prevail over the rushing attack of the Lumberjacks once again, giving us a rematch of last year’s Cup. 20-13 AUG

7/20/2020 3:44 pm  #105

Gonna predict the Augusta Bulls over the Hadley Gatekeepers for the title.  Think the Knights reign is probably over and the Bulls will probably be too much for the Gatekeepers.  Of course, love to see the Lumberjacks pull the upset, but I'm thinking it's not happening.

Side note, great first year for the Reapers!

7/25/2020 4:49 pm  #106

Kierport Knights @ Hadley Gatekeepers

A change in scenery occurs for the dominant two teams in the North, with Hadley taking over hosting duties. But things were business as usual for the Knights as they started off the game by running over the ‘Keepers, but Hadley was used to it by now and slowed down their already slow drive down the field. It took a lengthy 7 minutes, but Kierport sealed off the drive as usual, a short 2 yard plunge by Derrick Acker. Hadley stormed down the field after that drive, QB Jack Reuter hitting his receivers to get a quick 5 play drive to get into the redzone. Their momentum stalled after that, settling for a field goal to make the game 7-3. Kierport got back to business and made their way down field, but ran into the same problems as the Gatekeepers’ drive and made a field goal to keep their lead at one possession.
END OF Q1: 10-3 KIE
Hadley had the ball to begin the second quarter, but couldn’t do anything with it and punted it away back to the Knights. Kierport couldn’t get anything going as well, and the ball went back to the ‘Keepers. Reuter got to his MVP self, and sailed a pass 42 yards to WR Andrew Padmoore to cap off a 6 play drive to tie the game at 10. For the remaining 8 minutes in the half, both defenses kicked up their production as they held the other side scoreless as the two teams walked back into the locker rooms as the half expired.
END OF Q2: 10-10 TIE
The Gatekeepers took the second half kickoff and KR Jimmy Hoek nearly took the ball to the house, but was stopped at the 18 yard line. They almost didn’t make the best out of the opportunity, but converted on a 3rd and 16 with another Reuter pass to Padmore to take the lead 17-10. Kierport went back to their slow rolling but effective drive, but Hadley’s defense stopped them short of the redzone once again and took a field goal to close out the third quarter.
END OF Q3: 17-13 HAD
This time it was the Knights who stopped the surging Gatekeepers in the fourth, as on two consecutive drives they forced Reuter and his offense to punt. Kieport slowed their assault however, as they only tacked on another field goal to cut the lead to one. Both teams stalled throughout the rest of the quarter, and the Knights took over the ball with only 2:19 left to play. Dane and Acker and Underwood did what they did best, and put together another two minute drill to get ahead in the game. They managed to get to their 33 yard line, but were stopped with only 6 seconds left to play. K Leonard Shearer took the field to either send the Knights to their 4th straight Escalian Cup appearance or send Hadley to their long-awaited first Cup. The snap was good, the hold was good, and the 33 yarder sailed straight through the uprights as time expired. Kierport had clinched their birth to the Cup for the fourth straight year in a row, while the ‘Keeper sat in stunned silence as they were sent home once more.
FINAL: 19-17 KIE 

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Augusta Bulls
A rematch of last year’s South Division Final, both teams are looking to leave here with a trip to the Cup. The Bulls are looking to defend their title against the Knights once again, while the ‘Jacks are looking to get back to the Cup and finally take one home. Norfolk elected to differ, so Augusta began with the ball.  The Bulls charged down the field, but were stopped outside of field goal range and punted it away. Eddy Belmont made quick work of the opportunity, as he plowed through the Bulls dominant defense and made his way to the endzone, scoring the first points of the game on a 6 yard rush. Augusta got in on the fun as well, with QB Christopher Lyon tossing a pass to RB Gabriel Sydney for a 20 yard score to tie the game as the quarter expired.
END OF Q1: 7-7 TIE
Norfolk got back to feeding the ball to Belmont, but the Bulls caught on quickly as they stopped him short of the endzone, resulting in a field goal for the ‘Jacks. The Bulls defense stepped up this quarter and halted Norfolk’s process on their drives, as they could not convert on third down on any of their drives this quarter. Augusta’s offense struggled as well, but they did manage to score a touchdown off a Gabriel Sydney rush to take the lead before the end of the half.
END OF Q2: 14-10 AUG
Norfolk came out of the half swinging, as Belmont pounded through the defense once again as the Bulls were caught sleeping in the beginning of the half, scoring another touchdown to retake the lead. Augusta’s offense didn’t have the same luck as their defense, as they charged down the field once again, but the ‘Jacks’ defense stopped them before they reached the endzone, making another field goal to tie the game up at 17. The ‘Jacks put together another drive, but only got as far as the 39 yard line and kicked a field goal to retake the lead and end the scoring in the third
END OF Q3: 20-17 NOR
Norfolk’s defense took over dominance from the Bulls, as they stopped them on three consecutive drives this quarter. The ‘Jacks didn’t have the offensive production in the fourth either, as they couldn’t capitalize off the drives that the Bulls gifted to them. The ‘Jacks finally scored late in the fourth, with Eddy Belmont punching in another touchdown after a long drive with 3 minutes left in the game, but the PAT sailed wide and only extended their lead to 9. Augusta desperately tried to chip away at Norfolk’s lead, but once again faced a crucial conversion on 4th down and 3 with a little over 1 minute left to play. Gabriel Sydney was handed the ball as he tried to punch it up the middle. Just as he was about to cross the line of scrimmage, LB Ozzie Gosselin blitzed in and took him down, forcing the Bulls to turn over on downs. Norfolk had once again defeated the powerhouse in their division for a chance to win the Cup once more.
FINAL: 26-17 NOR 

5th Escalian Cup Preview: Kierport Knights @ Norfolk Lumberjacks
We return to Riverside Stadium for the Escalian Cup matchup between the division runners-up, and a rematch of the Epic in Norfolk in the 3rd Escalian Cup. Kierport wants to end their run with a championship, as their starters are getting old and want to cement their legacy as the league’s first dynasty. The Lumberjacks on the other hand just want to win a Cup, having been denied every year with a championship caliber team. 
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Norfolk will wait another year for their first Cup, as Kierport runs over them once again, in a lower scoring game than the last time. 20-14 KIE

7/29/2020 6:27 pm  #107

Riverside Stadium was packed for the rematch that most anticipated last year, with both #2 seeds upsetting the divisional champion to get here. These two teams are mostly the same, but both beginning to show some age in their main core of stars. Kierport once again is looking to cement their legacy as the league’s first dynasty, and Norfolk is trying to avoid being snake-bitten out of the championship once again.

Unlike the Epic in Norfolk, this game started out way slower. Norfolk received the kickoff in the first half, and was forced to punt on their opening drive. The Knights had similar issues converting on third down, and punted on their next three drives. Following that, the ‘Jacks finally made it past midfield and were looking to put the first points on the board. Unfortunately, their drive stalled out and they settled for a field goal instead, still putting the first points on the board. Neither could get anything else going for the rest of the quarter as their defenses remained stalwart.
END OF Q1: 3-0 NOR
After another Lumberjack punt, The Knights finally got enough momentum to get a decent drive going. Paul Dane and Robert Underwood carried the team downfield, and they managed to get into the endzone after a long 10 play drive on a 6 yard run by Dane. After this though, the game went back to both teams taking turns punting back and forth and failing to make any substantial progress. The clock struck 0:00, and both teams walked back into the locker room disappointed that they failed to score more than 1 touchdown combined between them.
END OF Q2: 7-3 KIE
Kierport started out the half by making up for lost time in the first by starting on another drive with their sights set on the endzone. Dane and Acker and Underwood each took turns once more on rushing attempts, carving through the ‘Jacks defense on their way through a 12 play, 88 yard drive capped off by a 2 yard plunge by Derrick Acker to extend their lead to 11. Eddy Belmont and the ‘Jacks were determined to continue to make this game close, as he almost single handedly carried the team to the endzone, where he scored the first ‘Jacks TD of the day on an 18 yard rush. The defenses kept up their production after these two drives, as they held each other scoreless for the remainder of the quarter.
END OF Q3: 14-10 KIE
This quarter started like how the other quarters went, with Kierport failing to do anything with the ball and punting it away to Norfolk. The Lumberjacks, more determined than ever to win their first Cup, made quick haste on the legs of Eddy Belmont as he soared to a 54 yard TD to take the lead for the first time in the game. The Knights drove down the field to take back the lead, but were stopped short of the endzone by the surging Lumberjacks defense. The field goal unit took the field, but K Leonard Shearer sailed the ball short of the goal post and the game stayed at 17-14 Norfolk. The ‘Jacks took advantage of this mistake, and Belmont capped off a drive highlighted by a 30 yard pass by QB Willard Taft to WR Paul Leyton and scored the go-ahead TD to extend their lead by 10.
(Shown here: Eddy Belmont (24) making his way to the endzone for the last score of the game)
Kierport was unusual with their next drive, as normally they would storm down and make the game-winning score. This time, the ‘Jacks stopped them in their tracks, forcing them to punt away the ball with only 1:27 left in the game. Belmont and the Lumberjacks ran out the clock, and they stormed the field to celebrate winning their first Escalian Cup after being denied for 5 years straight.

FINAL: 24-14 NOR 

Of course, Norfolk’s Eddy Belmont took home MVP honors, with his 3 TD 158 yard performance on 30 carries. “We’ve finally won! All these years and we’ve finally done it!” League Commissioner Jack Merrill handed over the Cup to the team, and then he took the podium to announce the names of the next two expansion franchises…..
UP NEXT: 1965 EXPANSION

7/29/2020 7:29 pm  #108

Congrats to the Lumberjacks on finally getting over the hump! Excited to see the new teams!

7/29/2020 7:54 pm  #109

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Congrats Norfolk!

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

8/01/2020 4:02 pm  #110

1964-65 Offseason Part 1: Expansion/Identity Changes

Following the conclusion of the 5th Escalian Cup, Commissioner Merrill took the podium after presenting the Lumberjacks with the Cup. “I’m sure you all are excited to find out where we are expanding for the 1965 season.  Well wait no longer! The two teams to join us for next season will be the Saint Blaise Angels joining the North, and the Tallokope City Anchors joining the South!” 

Saint Blaise Angels

About the City:
The capital of and second largest city in Taerrisia was named after one of the most important saints in Cornwall, England, Saint Blaise. A large immigrant population of Cornish people populate the Taerrisian Isles and make up one of the major cultures on the islands. As a result of the city’s namesake, many Saint Blaisans are very religious and church culture here is huge. Some of the city’s main attractions include the massive Saint Blaise Cathedral (named after the saint, not the city) with its prominent gothic architecture and gathering hub for churchgoers in and around the city, and the famous Holy Cross College, which used to be a powerhouse for college football and is one of the largest Catholic colleges in Escalia. 

About the Team:
Naturally, the new Saint Blaise team wanted to call back to its church culture to go along with the already decided color scheme of claret and blue. Nickname suggestions included the Crusaders, Saints, Gothics, and the eventual winner, the Angels. The logo uses gothic lettering surrounded by a blue halo, and owner Oscar Hyde opted to put the halo around the helmet instead of the logo to be more unique among teams. The rest of the set is more traditional, with a single shoulder stripe like Kierport, and a thick stripe on the pants. They will play in the new Cathedral Field, financed almost entirely by Hyde, who owns the largest construction company in Escalia, Gothic Construction Inc. 

Tallokope City Anchors

About the City:
Tallokope City (tal-oh-cope), or TC by some, is named after the largest lake in the country (not the province, which is conveniently located on the other side of the Tallokope River), which itself derives from the Native Escalian word for Lake Tallokope, talokupe, roughly translating to “large water.” TC has grown to be an inland shipping port, as the city has grown massively over the past 50 years as it continues to grow and become larger in the domestic trading industry of Escalia. 

About the Team:
Ownership, led by shipping magnate Jeffery Everhart, wanted to represent the lake and the shipping culture of TC. The Mariners were already off the table, so the team came up with names such as the Clippers, Anchors, and Merchants. Everhart had decided that the team would be the Clippers, but after seeing that more of the logos were based on anchors rather than clipper ships, he changed the name to the Anchors. He chose a light blue for the waters of Lake Tallokope, and complimented it with red because it looked good with the blue. The Anchors will play at Lakeshore Stadium, built on the shores of the lake in a new commercial district set to bring in more teams to the city.

As per usual, the champion Norfolk Lumberjacks added a star patch to their uniforms, the sole change for the offseason among non-expansion teams. 

C&C Appreciated!

Board footera