Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2020 10:17 pm  #81

Re: The Story of Driveball

1949-50 Offseason

APPLESEEDS HEADED FOR INDIANAPOLIS

The cash-strapped Fort Wayne Appleseeds finally have a buyer. Last week, the Driveball Association of North America approved the sale of the Appleseeds to James P. Doddington, a 48 year old Indianapolis businessman.

With Owen Bush Stadium eager to host Driveball, the DANA Board of Governors approved Doddington's request to move the franchise to Indianapolis effective immediately.

There will be no immediate realignment and the team will remain in the DANA's Western Division with Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit and Rochester.

The Indianapolis Star
October 30, 1949

5/29/2020 10:28 pm  #82

NeoPrankster wrote:

1949-50 Offseason

APPLESEEDS HEADED FOR INDIANAPOLIS

The cash-strapped Fort Wayne Appleseeds finally have a buyer. Last week, the Driveball Association of North America approved the sale of the Appleseeds to James P. Doddington, a 48 year old Indianapolis businessman.

With Owen Bush Stadium eager to host Driveball, the DANA Board of Governors approved Doddington's request to move the franchise to Indianapolis effective immediately.

There will be no immediate realignment and the team will remain in the DANA's Western Division with Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit and Rochester.

The Indianapolis Star
October 30, 1949

Welp, was totally not expecting this! It's time to bring back the Indianapolis Drivers from the old thread

5/30/2020 1:11 am  #83

Here is the Drivers' new insignia, along with an updated league poster to reflect the move.

5/30/2020 10:14 am  #84

Although I loved the Appleseeds (such a creative use of the Johnny Appleseed legend (story?) to make a nice looking team. I like the Racers look. I feel that the driver of the car is lacking something being completely white.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/30/2020 10:17 am  #85

Looks great but i don't think with this team playing in a minor league park they don't make to the 70s

5/30/2020 10:19 am  #86

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Although I loved the Appleseeds (such a creative use of the Johnny Appleseed legend (story?) to make a nice looking team. I like the Racers look. I feel that the driver of the car is lacking something being completely white.

I hope this isn't the end of Driveball in Fort Wayne...even if on a smaller level, I'd like to see these old cities play on (Not only Fort Wayne, but Albany before them and likely Rochester and Newark in the near future).

5/30/2020 3:00 pm  #87

Burmy87 wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I hope this isn't the end of Driveball in Fort Wayne...even if on a smaller level, I'd like to see these old cities play on (Not only Fort Wayne, but Albany before them and likely Rochester and Newark in the near future).

Maybe Fort Wayne, Albany could become farm teams

5/30/2020 10:18 pm  #88

For 1950, the Drivers add blue to the apple red they wore back in Fort Wayne.

5/30/2020 10:36 pm  #89

The Mad Hatters retire the red road shorts and darken the blue to match the team's insignia.
1948-49

6/01/2020 3:48 pm  #90

1950 DANA Season

Injures to the Mad Hatters' backfield opened the Western Division wide open. Buffalo took advantage, rallying to win 5 straight after a 2-3 start. Detroit and Indianapolis knew they wouldn't be able to finish higher than second during the Lakers' winning streak, but both played well enough to necessitate a tiebreaker playoff game.

Speaking of Indianapolis, the Drivers have proved to be a HUGE hit at tiny Victory Field (Owen Bush Stadium's name at the time). All five of the Drivers' home games in 1950 drew as high as 11,000 in a ballpark that sat 13,254 at the time.

After two losing seasons, the New York Heroes finally have a winning season. But most of the Heroes success coincided with the defending champion Newark Bulldogs getting bit extremely hard by the injury bug.

The Philadelphia Spirits continue their meteoric rise, qualifying for a wild card spot with a win over Montreal at Franklin Field.

Eastern Division
New York Heroes 7-3
Philadelphia Spirits 6-4

Montreal Voyageurs 5-5
Newark Bulldogs 4-6
Toronto Titans 4-6
Brooklyn Coasters 4-6

Western Division
Buffalo Lakers 7-3
Detroit Roadsters 6-4
Indianapolis Drivers 6-4

Cleveland Mad Hatters 4-6
Rochester Millers 4-6
Chicago Gaels 3-7

Playoff teams in BOLD

1950 DANA Playoffs

West Tiebreaker
June 10, 1950
Briggs Stadium
Detroit, MI

Indianapolis Drivers 50
Detroit Roadsters 38

East Final
June 17, 1950
Polo Grounds
New York City

Philadelphia Spirits 54
New York Heroes 27

Fans expecting a coronation in New York were left with tears as the Spirits absolutely dominated the Heroes on every side of the ball.

West Final
June 18, 1950
War Memorial Stadium
Buffalo, NY

Indianapolis Drivers 18
Buffalo Lakers 36

Indy's surprising season comes to an end in an ugly defensive struggle that saw the Lakers' defense tighten up after giving up a couple of early tries.

Third Frosty Mug
June 25, 1950
War Memorial Stadium
Buffalo, NY

Philadelphia Spirits 36
Buffalo Lakers 27

How fitting, that in the same year Walt Disney released his version of Cinderella, the second-year Philadelphia Spirits would capture the imagination of Driveball fans with a Cinderella season of their own.

Buffalo led 18-0 early in the first half. After a few halftime adjustments, Philly turned the game completely around, tying the score at 27 with four minutes left.

The game would not be decided until after the siren. With seconds to play, Spirits wingman Walt Tozier punted the ball to front pocket Shepard Bolger (acquired from Detroit via trade). Bolger then marked the ball at the sixteen yard line as the siren blared. From twenty six yards out, Bolger kicked the ball through the uprights to give Philly six points, the win and the Mug.

Herb Reinhardt (Spirits radio announcer): "Shepard Bolger with the chance to win it...The kick is on its way....It's long enough and it's through!!! BOLGER SCORES!!! THE SLIPPER FITS!!! THE SLIPPER FITS!!! THE SPIRITS ARE THE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!"

MVP: Shepard Bolger (FP; Spirits)

Board footera