Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2020 4:48 pm  #61

Re: The Story of Driveball

IN OTHER SPORTS...

1948-49 Driveball offseason.

After a brief competition for talent, the National Basketball League and the Basketball Association of America agree to merge. The combined league will be dubbed the National Basketball Association and will take the court for the 1949-50 season.

Here is how the divisions will look in the newly-merged league.

Eastern Division
Baltimore Bullets
Boston Celtics
New York Knicks
Philadelphia Warriors
Syracuse Nationals
Washington Capitols

Central Division
Chicago Stags
Fort Wayne Pistons
Minneapolis Lakers
Rochester Royals
St. Louis Bombers

Western Division
Anderson Packers
Denver Nuggets
Indianapolis Olympians
Sheboygan Redskins
Tri-Cities Blackhawks
Waterloo Hawks

5/27/2020 12:35 am  #62

CURVE BALL THROWN IN THE FATE OF TROUBLED DRIVE BALL CLUB

In New York, the Driveball Association of North America has made an announcement that they've finally found a buyer for the financially ailing Albany Capitols. Wheat tycoon Jesse Lindholm of Minneapolis was the front runner to buy the club. When travel expense concerns threw cold water on Lindholm's bid, another bid from Philadelphia interests was accepted by the league which completed its very first season of operation last summer.

Should the Philadelphia bid be approved by the other DANA owners, the bankrupt Capitols will be owned by and investment group with financial mogul Irwin MacPhail acting as the managing general partner.

- The Associated Press
September 17, 1948

CAPS GONE FOR GOOD

What was once a promising future in a brand new sport is now replaced by daydreams of what could've been. Last Friday, Commissioner Tobias Irwin of the Driveball Association of North America officially put his rubber stamp on the erstwhile Albany Capitols' migration to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania effective immediately. Rumors persisted months ago that the team would be sold to Minneapolis interests, only to be dashed by worries of travel expenses incurred by struggling clubs like Montreal, Rochester, and Fort Wayne. The bid Irwin MacPhail of Philadelphia was approved unanimously by the DANA owners.

- The Albany Times-Union
September 23, 1948

PHILADELPHIA READY TO EMBRACE NEWBORN SPORT

Newsreel footage of a brand new game called Driveball has been a big box office hit at a few local movie theatres over the past summer. Now, Philadelphians have a team they can call their own. But the question now is what will be the nickname of the new team. We will hold a contest for fans to submit names by phone, mail or telegram.

- The Philadelphia Inquirer
October 7, 1948

Last edited by NeoPrankster (5/27/2020 12:35 am)

5/27/2020 1:03 am  #63

Would've liked to see a team in MN, but this is probably the smarter decision. 3 largest city in the US at the time and well within the leagues footprint.

5/27/2020 6:31 am  #64

Didn't Albany get more votes than Philly in the poll?

I just hope the Caps name, logo and history stays behind in Albany for a future expansion team to use.

Last edited by Burmy87 (5/27/2020 6:33 am)

5/27/2020 9:48 am  #65

With Philadelphia being the original capitol of the United States, I nominate that they keep the name and go with the Philadelphia Capitols.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/27/2020 10:40 am  #66

For Philadelphia I like the name Keystones which is a symbol for the State of Pennsylvania. Like last time, will there be any rival leagues popping up in this?

Last edited by Rugrat (5/27/2020 1:27 pm)

5/27/2020 2:07 pm  #67

Rugrat wrote:

For Philadelphia I like the name Keystones which is a symbol for the State of Pennsylvania. Like last time, will there be any rival leagues popping up in this?

Yes, there will be rival leagues.

But there will also be amateur leagues too, since there aren't any NCAA schools currently forming Driveball programs at the moment.

5/27/2020 4:46 pm  #68

NEW DRIVE BALL TEAM BOASTS U.S. SPIRIT
- Philadelphia Inquirer headline

The newly-renamed Philadelphia Spirits unveiled their new uniforms ahead of their 1949 debut.

Obviously, in the days before 24 hour sports networks and whatnot, the unveiling was documented by a sportswriter for the Inquirer with black and white photos.

The insignia is basically the team name on a keystone.

Uniforms:
- The helmets are still leather, sewn in the Michigan Wing pattern, except with the front panel painted to evoke a Colonial hat and stripes patterned after Old Glory.
- Like the Brawlers in my old Driveball thread, the Spirits have the Keystone on the chest. The Keystone and numbers are sewn onto the jersey by a local seamstress.
- The New York Heroes threw a hissy fit over the color scheme, but Commissioner Irwin politely reminded Hero chairman Sheldon Leonard that he cannot monopolize colors.

And before I forget, the league poster is updated to reflect the relocation and rebranding of the erstwhile Albany Capitols.

5/27/2020 4:53 pm  #69

Philly looks amazing, love the colors and the big Keystone. Although I wish they could have moved to Minnesota I get why they didn't. Newark has some competiton for my favorite team now

5/27/2020 5:02 pm  #70

As much as I loved the Brawlers look in the old driveball, you blew it out of the water with the spirits.

Board footera