Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2020 10:10 pm  #81

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

For a few rulings...

I think Beacons is okay.

Let's avoid minor league teams in the area such as the Bisons and Knights.  As for Steelman's 'Hawks'...I think that is okay.  

4/29/2020 10:11 pm  #82

Birmingham: Ironhorses- A twist on the iron industry with the blend of a common mascot
Boston/New England: Legends- Many IRL championships in the past few decades 
Buffalo: Soldiers- 10th Calvary Division in the Civil War. Name for African American regiment by Native Americans.
Charlotte/Carolina: Firehawks- For some reason I like having fire associated with Charlotte. I even do it in my own leagues.
Chicago: Second Bulldogs. Like the simplicity and the old-school feel to it.
Dallas: Judges- A lawless west held together by the few who took matters into their own hands

4/29/2020 10:28 pm  #83

Birmingham Steel (One of the city's nicknames is "Pittsburgh of the South", so the name seemed fitting while not infringing on the Pittsburgh Steelers)
Boston Robbers (The inspiration came from Boston Rob on the TV show Survivor, but it also sounds like a decent name for a football team)
Buffalo Rapids (For the rapids near Niagara Falls)
Charlotte Speed (In reference to NASCAR and the Charlotte Motor Speedway)
Chicago Stars (In reference to the Stars on the city flag and the fact that I couldn't really come up with a good name that wasn't already suggested)
Dallas Bigshots (Everything's bigger in Texas, including egos)

4/30/2020 12:04 am  #84

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Birmingham Magicians (The Magic City)
Boston Rebels (In reference to the American Revolution)
Buffalo Buffaloes (Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo)
Charlotte Griffins (The first plane flew in Kitty Hawk, NC. What animal is both a Kitty and a Hawk? A griffin!)
Chicago Tigers (A classy name for rust belt football)
Dallas Bandits (Lean into that old west theme a bit)

You beat me to Buffalo! I would have gone Buffalo Buffalo just to really drive home the name! My completely custom EA NHL league that I’ve done with my friend the past 4 years has a Buffalo Buffalo that’s been around for 3 of those years. Just couldn’t help myself. Also like Prince George Prince out of that league.

4/30/2020 12:36 am  #85

Blasters, Blast, Night Riders, Steel I like.  No boring, common names please!

Why not Birmingham Iron?  It's not being used anymore.

4/30/2020 12:49 am  #86

Birmingham Yankees - To honour the WFL's Birmingham Americans

Boston Mayflowers - It's a state flower of Massachusetts and the name of the ship in which settlers sailed from London to find a place called Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Buffalo Lights - Their nickname is the 'City of Light'

Charlotte Naturals - Rick Flair's Nickname 'Nature Boy'. He's an icon in Charlotte, NC.

Chicago Typewriters - My original suggestion the hockey team before it became the Ghosts. If you don't know why I chose this name, it's a nickname for the Thompson SMG which was associated with the mobsters in the 1920s.

Dallas Flyers - To honour American Airlines, who are based in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. Their hub is in the DFW International Airport.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

4/30/2020 6:14 am  #87

Gritty wrote:

For a few rulings...

I think Beacons is okay.

Let's avoid minor league teams in the area such as the Bisons and Knights.  As for Steelman's 'Hawks'...I think that is okay.  

Gotcha, they're changed now.  

4/30/2020 7:34 am  #88

Birmingham Blitz
Boston Blacktips
Buffalo Herd 
Charlotte Reign
Chicago Warriors
Dallas Stetsons

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

4/30/2020 7:44 am  #89

Birmingham SteelDogs (Ties to Birmingham's steel industry with a creative name)
Boston Clippers (Ties to Boston's marine history)
Buffalo Stampede (Was going to put Bison or Bisons but this is better)
Charlotte Dragons (The name sounds cool)
Chicago RailRiders (Ties to Chicago's train history)
Dallas Gunslingers (Old West theme plus a nickname for quarterbacks)

Last edited by Rugrat (4/30/2020 7:48 am)

4/30/2020 9:46 am  #90

A few of mine were taken! That's a good thing I guess.  

Birmingham Blacksmiths - continuing with the Iron and Steel theme.  The 'Smiths! 

Boston Ducks - At the heart of Boston is the Boston Commons.  Within the heart of Boston Commons are the famous duck statues.  I think this name would be a nice departure from patriotic theme names.  

Buffalo Blue Devils - Back in the day, before the Buffalo Bills settled on their name they considered a number of others including Nickels and Blue Devils.  

Charlotte Spiders - underused mascot. Charlotte's Web.  Charlotte is also home to two of the most poisonous spiders - the black widow and brown recluse.  

Chicago Centaurs - mostly for alteration but think it could be a powerful team image.  

Dallas Rifles - continuing the gun-toting' theme of a lot of submissions.  I like the sound of it.  

Last edited by Gritty (4/30/2020 3:38 pm)

Board footera