Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2020 4:43 pm  #211

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Utah Railers - the state of Utah is where the Trans-Continental Railroad was completed in Promentory, UT, a mere 66 miles northwest of SLC.

San Antonio Sams - Although San Antonio has the nickname "Military City", only one base is within city limits, Fort Sam Houston, commonly known as Fort Sam. Sam Houston being a U.S. Senator from Texas, Texas Governor, and first President of the Republic of Texas.

San Diego Pandas - I'd like to say there's a really cool, deep meaning. But really, Anchorman and the panda's birth.

Seattle Kraken - I know it's a rumored name for the NHL Seattle team, but seems like it's a longshot. Why not put it to use here?

St. Louis Traders - St. Louis was founded as a trading post along the Mississippi that was in a location that wouldn't flood.

Toronto Hurons - The habitants of the area to be known as Toronto were the Huron tribe, and with Toronto's location on Lake Huron, gives designers the option to go Native American or more generic Toronto.

Also waiting for the name "Olympians" to be nominated for St. Louis and/or Salt Lake City since they've both hosted.

Last edited by Dan O'Mac (5/06/2020 12:17 pm)

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/05/2020 4:47 pm  #212

Dan O'Mac wrote:

St. Louis Archers - In reference to the Gateway Arch. Nothing too fancy about it.

Archers is the name of the IceHL's St. Louis team...the rule says no IceHL nicknames in the same market.

5/05/2020 4:48 pm  #213

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Utah Railers - the state of Utah is where the Trans-Continental Railroad was completed in Promentory, UT, a mere 66 miles northwest of SLC.

San Antonio Sams - Although San Antonio has the nickname "Military City", only one base is within city limits, Fort Sam Houston, commonly known as Fort Sam. Sam Houston being a U.S. Senator from Texas, Texas Governor, and first President of the Republic of Texas.

San Diego Pandas - I'd like to say there's a really cool, deep meaning. But really, Anchorman and the panda's birth.

Seattle Kraken - I know it's a rumored name for the NHL Seattle team, but seems like it's a longshot. Why not put it to use here?

St. Louis Archers - In reference to the Gateway Arch. Nothing too fancy about it.

Toronto Hogs - Toronto carries the nickname Hogtown, so let's lean into that by naming the team the Hogs.

Also waiting for the name "Olympians" to be nominated for St. Louis and/or Salt Lake City since they've both hosted.

As for the Kraken and any other Seattle game for that matter.  From the looks of it our team will be named before the NHL Seattle team is announced.  If we choose the name and then they choose the same name our name STAYS.  So don't worry about suggesting a name that may be used.

5/05/2020 4:51 pm  #214

Utah Crusaders - Kinda going with a generic Religious theme here
San Antonio Defenders - Remember the Alamo!
San Diego Battleships - Firepower for a big Navy city
Seattle Samurai - Seattle has a fairly large Japanese heritage 
St. Louis Operators - Riverboat Captains are called these
Toronto Canadians - Let's go full Canada on this one.

5/05/2020 4:54 pm  #215

Salt Lake Heroes - Olympic athletes become heroes back home.
San Antonio - I second Rhinos
San Diego Martyrs - San Digeo is a Christian name with a good history and martyr is a neat name any ways
Seattle Pioneers- Seattle is a forward-thinking city=pioneers.
St.Louis Monarchs or Kings - Bloody obvious
Toronto Legends - Toronto is one of Canada's oldest cities plus it hosts the NHL Hall of Fame.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

5/05/2020 4:54 pm  #216

QCS wrote:

San Antonio - Stars. I honestly can't think of anything good for San Antonio. At least this one has alliteration.

It was the name of their WNBA team (played from 2003-2017).

5/05/2020 4:54 pm  #217

As for my team names.

UTAH DINOSAURS: The Utah Dinos has a good ring to it.  Utah is also one of the key states when it comes to big time dinosaur fossils.  So much can be done with this nickname.

SAN ANTONIO SPITFIRES: For the military and air force influence in the area.  Also for the alliteration and heat of Texas.

SAN DIEGO TORPEDOES: An offensive weapon for the Navy.  SD is a big Naval town. Sounds good and is unused in sports.  

SEATTLE PIKES: crazy looking fish. The famous Pike Place Market in Seattle.

ST LOUIS MUSKETEERS: I loved the name Musketeers for Montreal in the AltHL.  The King Louis influence in St. Louis would be a great spot for it as well. 

TORONTO MOOSE: a theme of animals on coat of arms is starting.  A moose is on the Ontario Coat of Arms.  It also could lead to a really cool helmet.  

5/05/2020 4:54 pm  #218

Burmy87 wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

Archers is the name of the IceHL's St. Louis team...the rule says no IceHL nicknames in the same market.

I have no idea what the IceHL team names are, so I updated it.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/05/2020 4:55 pm  #219

Almost took two home with that group, and we're getting some unique names to boot!

Utah Hornets: Derived from the state's nickname of the "Beehive State"
San Antonio Phantoms: A unique spin on the typical western cowboy, which is based on a Mexican charro, known for wearing dark or black outfits
Seattle Bombers: The B-17 got its name from a Seattle newspaper, and a nod to Boeing which was founded in Seattle
St. Louis Pioneers: It is the "Gateway to the West" where most pioneers ventured off to explore the West
San Diego Admirals: References the deep connection San Diego has with the US Navy
Toronto Dukes: Toronto was originally named after the Duke of York, as with New York

Last edited by DireBear (5/05/2020 4:56 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

5/05/2020 5:01 pm  #220

Salt Lake City - Utah Spikes - The rail theme is very prevalent in Utah history, and paying tribute to the holders of rails seems befitting.

San Antonio - Heroes - Many forget the legends that defended the Alamo: Bowie, Crockett, Seguín, and Travis. Those heroes were there during the Alamo’s last stand

San Diego - Hornets - Conversely, the F18 Hornet flies from Naval carriers all the time, and the Navy has a very big base in San Diego, with a huge training center.

Seattle - Shogun - A more royal take on the Japanese heritage of Seattle

St. Louis - Brewmen - Anheuser-Busch headquarters in St. Louis, I rest my case.

Toronto - Northmen - The only team to the north of the border, let’s make it fit for those shouting “We the North”

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (5/05/2020 5:15 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera