Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2020 9:21 pm  #201

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Pizza Rats and Citronauts FTW!!!!! 

And +1 for turquoise and copper.

Last edited by CaliforniaGlowin (5/03/2020 9:23 pm)

5/03/2020 11:54 pm  #202

New York Dukes - Originally from my AltHL suggested team name, it referred to the Duke of York, James II (who is also king of England and Scotland).

2nd Nashville Olympians

Orlando Starfleet - 
Someone suggested this for Houston's AltHL team. Apparently, this one works for a city related to space exploration.

Philadelphia Brigade - Again from the AltHL, this team name comes from the for the Union army regiment that served in the American Civil War.

2nd Arizona Sidewinders

Portland Larks
- Once again, from my AltHL suggestion. The meadowlark is Oregon's state bird.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

5/04/2020 8:08 am  #203

New York Skyliners (A nod to the iconic city skyline)
Nashville Notes (Nice alliteration and fitting name)
Florida Juice (Florida leads the Nation in Juice production)
2nd Philadelphia Keystones
Phoenix Scorpions (A common animal in Arizona which is not used by any local team)
Portland Beavers (Oregon is the Beaver State)
Btw Gritty, you said that Buffalo is in Westrn Pennslyvania. It is in Western New York

Last edited by Rugrat (5/04/2020 8:16 am)

5/04/2020 9:50 am  #204

Rugrat wrote:

New York Skyliners (A nod to the iconic city skyline)
Nashville Notes (Nice alliteration and fitting name)
Florida Juice (Florida leads the Nation in Juice production)
2nd Philadelphia Keystones
Phoenix Scorpions (A common animal in Arizona which is not used by any local team)
Portland Beavers (Oregon is the Beaver State)
Btw Gritty, you said that Buffalo is in Westrn Pennslyvania. It is in Western New York

Haha yes my mistake. I know where it is but must have had PA on my mind. 

5/05/2020 3:45 pm  #205

Been almost 32 hours since the last post...but that's just because everybody following made sure to get their nominations in quickly.

This IS gonna end up being the most popular series in this board's history..

Last edited by Burmy87 (5/05/2020 3:47 pm)

5/05/2020 4:12 pm  #206

Another Mega Post! 

First of all I am excited about the progress that we are making in such a short amount of time.  95% of our votes happen in the first day of the poll which means that people are jumping right on it.  We also, as you will see, have tremendous diversity when it comes to winning nominators.  Here is the second installment of the AltFL.  Unlike the last group, this group's polls were not all that close.  It just shows that the community was lock step with these teams.

The KC Scarecrows are an outside of the box idea but one that resonated with the community.  Dan O'Mac provided the winning name.  I feel like we can't nickname the 'Crows because Scarecrows scare crows but there is a ton with this identity that we can use.  They had won with 86 points, followed next by Outlaws with 77.  

The Sabercats was a popular choice.  During the nomination the La Brea Tar Pits was a common inspiration as their were nominees that included Tar Cats, Sabers, and Mammoths.  Sabercats was the one that won.  Nominated by Gritty with 89 points.  They were followed closest by Vaqueros at 79.  

After the debate about locators and how cities prefer to be named the community seemed to follow suit.  The 'Kentucky' named teams performed the best with the Stallions ahead by a number of lengths.  Stallions was the winner by over 15 points! They were nominated by Wallflower.

With her 2 win, Dr. Pepper brings us the Hammerheads.  The Hammerheads had 91 points and followed by Marauders at 89.  This was the closest poll of the group.

Milwaukee draws a pretty fearsome but widely supported moniker.  The Mallards were nominated by Wallflower for his second wind.  Hopefully he can keep this luck going in the Canadian Shield playoffs with the Arrows.  The Mallards won with 88 points.  Followed by Barbarians, Coopers, and Stags. 

Finally for Group B we have the Voyageurs.  The Voyageurs (with a ZH sound in the middle) represents the men who would run the fur trade in the region.  Voyageur National Park is in Minnesota.  They were nominated by DireBear who now has two wins (Cyclones and Voyageurs) and two runners up.  

On to Group C! 

Just to be clear, there were a number of nominations this go around that violated a few of the rules.  I have been trying to show as much leniency but there were a few that we had to nix.  If there is a current or significant (of the past) minor league team, a name of a local university, etc. If you have any specific questions regarding your entry just DM me instead of posting it to everyone.

TEAM NASHVILLE - https://forms.gle/HSRZNdRNUJiN5bkSA
TEAM NEW YORK - https://forms.gle/6tFaLBXzuMeomxpV8
TEAM ORLANDO - https://forms.gle/VQ6qBcm9NNqKB7dc7
TEAM PHILLY - https://forms.gle/XpinjKJTeMGcajjD8
TEAM PHOENIX - https://forms.gle/2YRWFZeoDDy1vpYp8
TEAM PORTLAND - https://forms.gle/oiSzc7vQ2BKy6WEQ7

Believe it or not...nominations for Group D! 

Also a quick note...I am pretty good about writing down your entry once you post it.  So if you go back and change it just give me a heads up so I go back and look for it.  Otherwise I wouldn't see it.  I got lucky a couple of times for Group C.  I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.  

5/05/2020 4:26 pm  #207

San Antonio Snappers (The alligator snapping turtle, one of the largest reptiles in the world, is native to the San Antonio River.  A San Antonio "fiesta" color scheme lends itself well to the would-be shell design).
San Diego Rhinos (The San Diego Safari Park is home to the largest group of rhinos in the world)
Seattle Spirits (Whether honoring Native American history or modern-day innovation and progress, the possibilities are endless!)
St. Louis Kings (Pays homage to the city's namesake, Louis IX of France)
Toronto Beavers (Canada's only AltFL team, named after their national animal)
Utah Swarm (Utah is the Beehive State, after all)

Last edited by Burmy87 (5/05/2020 4:26 pm)

5/05/2020 4:29 pm  #208

Burmy87 wrote:

San Antonio Snappers (The alligator snapping turtle, one of the largest reptiles in the world, is native to the San Antonio River.  A San Antonio "fiesta" color scheme lends itself well to the would-be shell design).
San Diego Rhinos (The San Diego Safari Park is home to the largest group of rhinos in the world)
Seattle Spirits (Whether honoring Native American history or modern-day innovation and progress, the possibilities are endless!)
St. Louis Kings (Pays homage to the city's namesake, Louis IX of France)
Toronto Beavers (Canada's only AltFL team, named after their national animal)
Utah Swarm (Utah is the Beehive State, after all)

Rhinos is such an under utilized mascot in sports.

5/05/2020 4:32 pm  #209

Gritty wrote:

Rhinos is such an under utilized mascot in sports.

And my favorite animal in the world, too!

Last edited by Burmy87 (5/05/2020 4:35 pm)

5/05/2020 4:35 pm  #210

I really like Scarecrows, that's something unique that I think the community can do some cool things with. Also "Get a Bigger Boat" for Miami is really funny. Good stuff!

Salt Lake City - Utah Torches. Inspired by the 2002 Winter Olympics, Utah acts as a torch for the Mormons spread across the country and the world. (Nevermind the religious aspects.)
San Antonio - Stars. I honestly can't think of anything good for San Antonio. At least this one has alliteration.
San Diego - Vigilantes. San Diego's motto is Latin for "Every Vigilant" and Vigilantes keeps this theme without being a singular name like Vigilance.
Seattle - Emeralds. The Emerald City deserves a Gem of a team.
St. Louis - Gatekeepers. As the Gateway City, St. Louis holds the key to the West. Their team should reflect that.
Toronto - Grizzlies. Beaten to Beavers, the other animal of Toronto's Coat of Arms is even more fierce and ready for battle.

Last edited by QCS (5/05/2020 4:36 pm)

Board footera