Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2020 10:31 am  #91

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

Second Birmingham Steel

Boston Whalers - Like most of New England back then, Boston relied on the whaling industry. Not really that deep of an origin, but it works for a city like Boston.

Buffalo Northmen - This could refer to two things: The team’s location in upstate New York, and it’s close proximity to the Canadian border.

Charlotte Blackbeards - Paying direct homage to the famous swashbuckler.

Chicago Bobcats - Not any reason for this one, but it’s an intimidating, old-fashioned name that serves the Windy City well.

Texas Lone Stars - A great symbol of the entire state.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/30/2020 11:21 am  #92

Birmingham Thunder
Boston Red Hawks
Buffalo Rampage
Charlotte Marauders - Pirate Theme
Chicago Bucks
Dallas Destroyers

4/30/2020 12:18 pm  #93

I like the Buffalo Lights, have a streetlight theme with colors black and neon yellow.

4/30/2020 12:29 pm  #94

CaliforniaGlowin wrote:

I like the Buffalo Lights, have a streetlight theme with colors black and neon yellow.

So the next step will be for us all to vote on the submitted names. If the Lights were selected for Buffalo, then you could design that logo for them as a potential to be selected.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/30/2020 12:56 pm  #95

Never been a fan of pirate-themed nicknames for Charlotte (or even Carolina), especially since Bath (where Blackbeard settled after a bit of pirating) is about 270 miles away from Charlotte. Beaufort (where he ran the Queen Anne's Revenge aground) is about the same distance away. Cape Hatteras and the general piracy area is like 300 miles away from Charlotte. You also won't find pirate-related things in Charlotte, more emphasis is placed on NASCAR and even the Wright Brothers (even if that was even further away than Hatteras).

4/30/2020 1:03 pm  #96

QCS wrote:

Never been a fan of pirate-themed nicknames for Charlotte (or even Carolina), especially since Bath (where Blackbeard settled after a bit of pirating) is about 270 miles away from Charlotte. Beaufort (where he ran the Queen Anne's Revenge aground) is about the same distance away. Cape Hatteras and the general piracy area is like 300 miles away from Charlotte. You also won't find pirate-related things in Charlotte, more emphasis is placed on NASCAR and even the Wright Brothers (even if that was even further away than Hatteras).

I'm more intrigued by the pirate-themed nicknames due to the AltHL being a racing inspired team, and I'd like some differentiation. And I far prefer pirate or aviation themes to the allusions to it being the Queen City.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

4/30/2020 1:43 pm  #97

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

I'm more intrigued by the pirate-themed nicknames due to the AltHL being a racing inspired team, and I'd like some differentiation. And I far prefer pirate or aviation themes to the allusions to it being the Queen City.

I'm with you on avoiding the racing theme, but I can't get behind something that doesn't relate to the city. It may not seem like it, but Charlotte has its own culture and is pretty distinct from the rest of the state. I'd rather see a name referencing the Queen City (of which there are exactly zero in pro sports, might I add) than something that happened hundreds of miles away in a culturally different part of the state. Even avoiding a royalty-themed name, Charlotte has plenty to go off of: Firebird, banking (again, nothing referencing Charlotte's primary export), the US National Whitewater Center, revolutionary activity (again, can done without refereeing the Hornet's Nest), MeckDeck (the nation's first declaration of independence, thank you very much), The Mecklenburg Resolves (making us the first colony to separate from the Crown), the gold rush, the former mint, Camp Greene, the energy economy, Coca-Cola, the trollies that service the town (only Charlotte and San Francisco still run trolley services), and the large cat theme that we had for a while (the transit system is called CATS and the light rail is called LYNX). All this can be gathered through reading Charlotte's Wikipedia article. It simply frustrates me when people equate Charlotte with North Carolina and can't be bothered to do a bit of research into a very unique city with its own culture and personality.

4/30/2020 2:04 pm  #98

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

True but the pirate theme has so much working for it.  I know I'm not from there but realistically a team in Charlotte is going to represent more than just the city and rather the entire region (whether they like it or not).  The region that they represent is next to New Orleans as the most heavily pirated areas of the age.  The region has the added bonus of Blackbeard which is awesome. Also Charleston, SC was a favorite spot of Captain Kidd.  I see QCS' point though. 

There definitely is a difference of opinions between people who live in an area and those who do not.  For example, it has always annoyed me when outsiders (of Philly) say that Philly fans are so mean and 'throw snow balls at Santa Claus' when they don't know the whole story.  Or when the national broadcasts only show B-roll of Cheesesteaks being made - ignoring the rest of the city's offerings.  So I can see what QCS is saying.  Still it a Pirate theme team is just cool and in a region that can claim it I would.  At least it's better than Bears from Chicago, Bengals from Cincinnati, Rangers from New York, etc.

Last edited by Gritty (4/30/2020 2:08 pm)

4/30/2020 2:30 pm  #99

Gritty wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

QCS wrote:

True but the pirate theme has so much working for it.  I know I'm not from there but realistically a team in Charlotte is going to represent more than just the city and rather the entire region (whether they like it or not).  The region that they represent is next to New Orleans as the most heavily pirated areas of the age.  The region has the added bonus of Blackbeard which is awesome. Also Charleston, SC was a favorite spot of Captain Kidd.  I see QCS' point though. 

There definitely is a difference of opinions between people who live in an area and those who do not.  For example, it has always annoyed me when outsiders (of Philly) say that Philly fans are so mean and 'throw snow balls at Santa Claus' when they don't know the whole story.  Or when the national broadcasts only show B-roll of Cheesesteaks being made - ignoring the rest of the city's offerings.  So I can see what QCS is saying.  Still it a Pirate theme team is just cool and in a region that can claim it I would.  At least it's better than Bears from Chicago, Bengals from Cincinnati, Rangers from New York, etc.

I've gotta disagree here. A pirate theme is nice, but it's more fitting for a team actually on the coast like Tampa or Norfolk (or in NC, Wilmington). Trust me, Coastal Carolina and the Piedmont are very different. I've never been one to try and claim the Carolinas for a Charlotte team (it works better in a regional sport like football, but I think the name is dumb with the exception of the Panthers because the Carolina panthers was a real animal). And again, Charleston, SC is not Charlotte, NC. Charleston is on the coast, Charlotte is 250 miles away from the coast. There's just not the connection there. It's like conflating Philadelphia with mining: yeah, sure, the region is the same, but that's not at all what the actual city is known for. It bothers me when people don't do any sort of research and just default to generic themes that can apply to any city on the coast of the Atlantic or Gulf.

Edit: I actually think all three of those names work: the Bears played at the same stadium as the Cubs, and since football players are larger than baseball players, Bears are larger than Cubs. The Bengals comes from the Cincy zoo which was famous for a bengal at the time, and the Rangers were named for their owner (common in the early days of branding), Tex, making them Tex's Rangers. 

Last edited by QCS (4/30/2020 2:31 pm)

4/30/2020 2:44 pm  #100

QCS wrote:

Gritty wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I've gotta disagree here. A pirate theme is nice, but it's more fitting for a team actually on the coast like Tampa or Norfolk (or in NC, Wilmington). Trust me, Coastal Carolina and the Piedmont are very different. I've never been one to try and claim the Carolinas for a Charlotte team (it works better in a regional sport like football, but I think the name is dumb with the exception of the Panthers because the Carolina panthers was a real animal). And again, Charleston, SC is not Charlotte, NC. Charleston is on the coast, Charlotte is 250 miles away from the coast. There's just not the connection there. It's like conflating Philadelphia with mining: yeah, sure, the region is the same, but that's not at all what the actual city is known for. It bothers me when people don't do any sort of research and just default to generic themes that can apply to any city on the coast of the Atlantic or Gulf.

Edit: I actually think all three of those names work: the Bears played at the same stadium as the Cubs, and since football players are larger than baseball players, Bears are larger than Cubs. The Bengals comes from the Cincy zoo which was famous for a bengal at the time, and the Rangers were named for their owner (common in the early days of branding), Tex, making them Tex's Rangers. 

Fair enough. I don't want to make this a whole thing. I was just trying to share the other side of it.  I chose those three examples because they do work but they don't really have local significance. Every city has a zoo with a Tiger, I know the Bears come from Cubs but I doubt Bears are walking around downtown, and I know Tex's Rangers are named after Tex the owner but are a reference of course to the Texas Rangers. Pirates at least belong in North Carolina albeit a different region. As for the Pittsburgh - Philly example...Pittsburgh typically has its own teams and therefore Philly wouldn't name a team after another team's region.  I just meant that when it comes to teams who own entire regions they have the luxury of broadening their field of what they can work with.  I think we were just viewing that wider scope as a good thing and opportunity.  I see what you are saying and that it could lead to a dilution of the city's identity. No big deal.

Board footera