Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2020 10:23 pm  #31

Re: Robin Island - World-building and Information

I know I'm very biased, but Hokken is my favorite so far. The flag is also probably my favorite yet, love the colors

5/27/2020 10:39 pm  #32

This has been a fascinating read, not sure if my region will get a shoutout if not I'm sure I'll find a region to support. 

5/27/2020 10:39 pm  #33

Section30 wrote:

I know I'm very biased, but Hokken is my favorite so far. The flag is also probably my favorite yet, love the colors

Thanks! I wish I could tell you where I got the inspiration from but it's been like a month since I made it and I've completely forgotten. 

Darknes wrote:

This has been a fascinating read, not sure if my region will get a shoutout if not I'm sure I'll find a region to support. 

I'm not sure if New England/Massachusetts itself has a close counterpart, but Finch Lake is a lot like Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire. There's not really a counterpart for Boston, unfortunately.

Last edited by QCS (5/27/2020 10:43 pm)

5/28/2020 9:24 pm  #34

Second to last on our tour, Cloudsgate!

Fast Facts:
Japanese Name:「クラウヅゲート州」(Kuradzugeeto-shuu, lit. "Cloudsgate State")
Capital: Sol
2020 Population: 1.3 million
Color: Gray (Hex #C3C3C3)
Bird: Hummingbird
Flower: Hydrangea
Major Cities: East Aoishi
Industry: Electronics, Apparel
Comparable States: Oregon, Hyogo
Flag:

History:
Cloudsgate was born in 1953 when the federal government split it from Hokken to have 7 and 7 provinces with a Japanese and American majority, respectively. The founding of Shinkyō led to the creation of Cloudsgate, thus completing the division and satisfying most citizens. However, the city of Aoishi was split along the boundary lines, leading to it splitting into East Aoishi and West Aoishi. Cloudsgate is known for its electronics companies that can be found here, most notable ÆM in East Aoishi and Helius in Sol.

Symbols:
The gray of Cloudsgate represents the clouds that serve as both natural attractions and the namesake of the province. The hummingbird was selected as provincial bird as a nod to the young nature of the province as well as to reference the quick and bustling nature of the electronics business. The hydrangea was selected simply because politicians at the time agreed it looked pretty and hadn't been selected by any other province. The flag is a simple block gradient of three shades of gray with a C for Cloudsgate placed on it. 

Cities:
Sol:
Japanese Name:「ソール市」(Sooru-shi, lit. "Sol City")
2020 Population: 0.8 million
Similar Cities: Portland, Tacoma
Sol is the small-ish capital of Cloudsgate and the resident "hippie" city. "Keep Sol Weird" is common on t-shirts and bumper stickers around the area, calling to mind Austin and Portland in the States. Sol has a diverse economy built on electronics manufacturer Helius and sports supplier Ace, with plenty of supplemental services and businesses to round out the city. In terms of sports, Sol is a baseball city, with a strong hockey following as well. 
East Aoishi:
Japanese Name:「東青石市」(Higashiaoishi-shi, lit. "East Blue Stone City")
2020 Population: 0.5 million
East Aoishi is the slightly larger twin of West Aoishi in Hokken. Robin Island's Twin Cities, the Aoishi metro is most known for electronics manufacturing and development. ÆM (Aoishi Electronics Manufacturing, pronounced "aim") is in the forefront of chip manufacturing and is commonly used for electronic systems throughout the country. Other various electronic-related companies make their home in both Aoishis, making the city a good place for aspiring computer engineers.

Conclusion:
Cloudsgate is a quirky little province that follows the beat of its own drum often, but still has deep roots in Robin Island itself and keeps itself in good standing with every other province. The Aoishis aren't divided like Toramoto-shi and Joestar are, with sports teams often representing both like Minnesota's Twin Cities do. Sol is a fun place to visit and hang out in and an even better place to work if you're a computer engineer. 

(Editor's Note: Only one more to go, finally! Cloudsgate is actually a name that came from a random name generator, but I really liked it and I think it applies well. Nothing to explain here, although I will say that Cloudsgate is technically the newest province in both the RI universe as well as our own, since it was the last one I named! The name Aoishi is a holdover from an earlier draft of Robin Island, but there it was the name of a province split north and south. What do you think? Any questions for me? C&C Welcome!)

6/02/2020 6:57 pm  #35

We reach our final stop today, the province of Columbia!

Fast Facts:
Japanese Name:「コロムビア州」(Koromubia-shuu, lit. "Columbia State")
Capital: Vertlac
2020 Population: 2.7 million
Color: Mint Green (Hex #78F078)
Bird: Canada Goose
Flower: Dogwood
Major Cities: Georgeville, St. Lucia
Industry: Logging, Fishing, Film, Electronics
Comparable States: Washington, British Columbia
Flag:

History:
Columbia is the province with the closest resemblance to its Western counterpart, with the Pacific Northwest holding plenty of influence on the province and culture. The capital of Vertlac is sister cities with both Seattle and Vancouver, with some PNW companies establishing regional operations in the province because of its familiarity. Evergreens, steelheads, techies, coffee, hippies, and everything stereotypical about the PNW made the jump and it makes Columbia pretty different, even within Robin Island.

Symbols:
The mint green found throughout Columbia is a reference to the various shades of green found in the province as well as the wacky nature of the province itself. The Canada goose was selected as a tie to the country that the province takes so much influence from and from the prevalence of geese in the province as well. Dogwood is found in the US, Canada, and Japan, making it a great choice to unite all three cultures in Columbia. The flag features the iconic rising sun in front of a blue form that doubles as both a wave and a mountain.

Cities:
Vertlac:
Japanese Name:「ヴェルトラック市」(Verutorakku-shi, lit. "Vertlac City")
2020 Population: 1.4 million
Similar Cities: Seattle, Vancouver
Vertlac (pronounced Vert-lack) is French for "green lake" and directly references the lake filled with algae near the city. Nowadays the lake has been cleaned and is vibrant with fish and plants, an example of the clean nature of the city. The city acts as a tech hub, with RedCrest Electronics, SIO (the social media service), and Hayai (the e-commerce site) all being based in Vertlac. The sport of choice in Vertlac is baseball, a rare deviation from its PNW counterparts, but other sports are also popular in the area.
Georgeville:
Japanese Name:「ジョージビル市」(Jyoojibiru-shi, lit "Georgeville City")
2020 Population: 0.8 million
Similar Cities: Victoria, Vancouver (WA)
Georgeville was named after King George V, the king of the United Kingdom (and Canada) at the time, and quickly rose as a lumber processing town and the "hippie" part of Columbia. Plaid and beards are in! Georgeville, like Vertlac, likes baseball, but the local nature of soccer has won the city over.
St. Lucia:
Japanese Name:「セイントルシア市」(Seinto Rushia-shi, lit. "St. Lucia City")
2020 Population: 0.5 million
Similar Cities: Olympia
St. Lucia is a smaller city on the shores of the Aoishi Sea with an emphasis on tourism and other services. The Green Dolphin is a famous restaurant in the city that's known nationwide for its excellent food and service. The lakeshore is lovely and a big draw year-round, propping up an economy around it. Lower-level baseball and soccer teams can make their home in the city, relying on locals as well as tourists to survive.

Conclusion:
As the weird, PNW-like area of Robin Island, Columbia is well-known for its beautiful scenery and excellent attractions. People from Washington or British Columbia should feel right at home in the province, complete with cushy electronics jobs. RedCrest has grown to become the nation's leading electronics manufacturer (among stiff competition) and the ever-popular SIO is used across the country by young adults and teenagers. Many former Americans and Canadians find their home in Columbia after leaving for Robin Island due to the familiarity. 

​(Editor's Note: We're done! That's the final province to cover! Ever better, there's nothing to explain, meaning we can finally move on from the world-building and get into the sports! Expect something sports-related to pop up soon, as long as nothing changes in my own plans. Do you have any questions about Robin Island? Feel free to ask away! C&C Welcome!)

6/02/2020 10:35 pm  #36

I thought I'd do a little more fleshing out of the world and give a list of companies found in Robin Island. This list isn't complete, but it should help give a good idea of industries and companies found throughout the country.

Aerospace:
Hydrostatic (Ft. Hayakawa, TR)
Newton Aerospace (Newton, HK)

Air Travel:
RI Air (Shinkyō, SK)
Torii (Shinōsaka, SN)

Animation:
Robinworks (Mechaven, TR)

Apparel:
Dawn To Dusk (Aorin, AO)
Kaansaas (San Moriuchi, SR)
KTJM (Shinōsaka, SN)

Auto Repair:
Mech Haven (Mechaven, TR)

Automobiles:
35 Motors (Shinkobe, SN)
Shrike (Shinkobe, SN)

Banking:
Bank of Robin Island (Queenston, PG)
Corner Banking (Queenston, PG)

Beer:
Phoenix Brew (Queenston, PG)

Conglomerate:
Ishikawa Group (Shinkyō, SK)

Defense:
Boreas (Ft. Hayakawa, TR)

Electronics:
ÆM (East Aoishi, CG)
Helius (Sol, CG)
RedCrest Electronics (Vertlac, CL)
Sunlight Electronics (Shinkyō, SK)

Energy:
Golden Power (San Moriuchi, SR)
Robin Energy (San Moriuchi, SR)
San Moriuchi Electric Power Company (San Moriuchi, SR)

Film:
Requiem Studios (Shinōsaka, SN)
Side FX Studios (Shinōsaka, SN)

Lumber:
Blue Lumber (Aorin, AO)

Luxury Goods:
Áine (Shinōsaka, SN)
White Lily (Hokkyō, HK)

Mining:
Canary Mining (Yosemite, RS)
Skyfall Corporation (San Moriuchi, SR)

Music Records:
Explority (Matsuike, FL)

Online Retail:
Hayai (Vertlac, CL)

Retail:
7-Eleven Robin Island (Shinkyō, SK)
Quikly (San Juan, RS)
Yosemart (Yosemite, RS)

Social Media:
SIO (Vertlac, CL)

Sports Apparel:
Ace Athletics (Sol, CG)
Faultline Apparel (Aorin, AO)
Lujo Athletics (San Moriuchi, SR)
Thunder Athletics (Vertlac, CL)

Technology:
Watercolor (sh-t, SN)

Telecom:
BB Communications (Shinsakai, SN)
SoftBank Robin Island (Shinsakai, SN)

Television:
KHK (Shinkyō, SK)

Video Games:
Illogical Studios (Queenston, PG)

6/02/2020 10:47 pm  #37

Which sports league would we see first on Robin Island?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

6/02/2020 10:57 pm  #38

ThisIsFine wrote:

Which sports league would we see first on Robin Island?

I'm going to try and keep a sort of chronological timeline going, so first will be the Robin Island Baseball Federation (RIBF), which will begin play in 1955 with 10 teams.

(I already have most things ready to start, the problem is I don't have a way to simulate games, so until I fix that it'll be a bit.)

Board footera