Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2020 5:11 pm  #1

Escalian Football League

Current Year: 1976

EFL SCOUTING REPORT

Escalian Cups:

1st (1960): Orcaster Racers 13, Adelaide Owls 16
2nd (1961): Adelaide Owls 24, Kierport Knights 31
3rd (1962): Kierport Knights 48, Norfolk Lumberjacks 40
4th (1963): Kierport Knights 19, Augusta Bulls 26
5th (1964): Kierport Knights 14, Norfolk Lumberjacks 24
6th (1965): Hadley Gatekeepers 29, Duvall Dragons 28
7th (1966): Hadley Gatekeepers 24, Duvall Dragons 33
8th (1967): Ellesby Mariners 30, Duvall Dragons 41
9th (1968): Duvall Dragons 24, Hadley Gatekeepers 41
10th (1969): Norfolk Lumberjacks 16, Ashonta Miners 24
11th (1970): Norfolk Lumberjacks 24, Ashonta Miners 16
12th (1971): Duvall Dragons 31, Ashonta Miners 33
13th (1972): Ellesby Mariners 16, Norfolk Lumberjacks 22
14th (1973): Tallokope City Anchors 33, Ashonta Miners 27
15th (1974): Tallokope City Anchors 23, Norfolk Lumberjacks 37
16th (1975): Ashonta Miners 24, Saint Blaise Angels 35

Escalian Cup Wins:

Norfolk (4), Ashonta (2), Duvall (2), Hadley (2), Kierport (2), Adelaide (1), Augusta (1), Saint Blaise(1), Tallokope City (1)

Escalian Cups Appearances:

Norfolk (6), Ashonta (5), Duvall (5),  Kierport (4), Hadley (3), Adelaide (2), Tallokope City (2), Ellesby (2), Augusta (1), Orcaster (1), Saint Blaise Angels (1)

UFL Champions:
1972: Colnica Stars (1)
1973: Decontro Roosters (1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all! I've been working on a fictional football league since being dragged on here by the AltFL from being a lurker. I'm starting to do this fictional league to improve my Inkscape and writing skills, so expect the early designs and story to be a bit rough around the edges. A brief bit about me before we begin for those wondering who I am: I found Veras’ AFA on the CCSLC like 5 years ago searching on how to make a fictional football league, which brought me into the fictional sports community and started designing after that, with some of my design “achievements” so far include somehow managing to get 6th place in the alternate uniform part of the 2017 Logolympiad on the CCSLC and also somehow winning the Buffalo AltFL logo.
 With that icebreaker out of the way, it’s time to dig in to my fictional country and its football league!  

First off, here’s a rough/work in progress map of Escalia:
Football in Escalia:
Escalia is a large and prospering (and fictional) nation located in the Atlantic Ocean, sandwiched between Europe and North America. Football is the 2nd most popular sport in the nation, being overshadowed by the other football (which is usually referred to as soccer here). Local college teams formed when football made its way down south in the states. After that, several regional leagues were created once the sport began growing in popularity, as well as some NFL games being broadcasted in the western half of the country by the Escalian Broadcasting Network, or EBN, the largest TV network in the country. Football remained a regional sport, being mostly in the Northwest corner of the country, until the EBN decided to broadcast the 1958 NFL championship game, which caused a huge explosion of popularity for the sport. People were scrambling to cope with the growing popularity, until someone decided that a national football league be created to capitalize on this explosion. That someone would be Jack Merrill, a banker and businessman from Hadley, Toukier, who had helped in the creation of the regional Toukier League within his home province along with his own team in Hadley. In 1959, He gathered 7 other ambitious men to create the Escalian Football League, the EFL which would start play in 1960. The founding teams included Merrill’s Hadley Gatekeepers and the Kierport Knights from the Toukier League, the Ellesby Mariners from the Taerissian League, the Adelaide Owls and Duvall Dragons from the Capital Football League, the Orcaster Racers from the Western League, and welcomed two expansion teams in the Augusta Bulls and Norfolk Lumberjacks.

Second off, here’s the logo the EFL will use in its inaugural season. It uses the national colors of green and blue, with 8 stars in the upper third representing the 8 founding teams, with four in white and four in blue to represent the two inaugural divisions.

With all that introductioning out of the way, I’ll have the first team posted sometime later today! C&C much appreciated! If you have any questions about Escalia I'll answer as best I can (since my method of world building is build as you need it, so most of the country is a blank spot for me). Hope you guys will enjoy it!

Last edited by DireBear (11/20/2021 1:52 pm)

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

5/27/2020 5:37 pm  #2

Re: Escalian Football League

Looking good so far! Do you have a specific culture/region you based Escalia off of or is it its own thing? The EFL's logo looks good, excited to see the 8 teams.

5/27/2020 6:52 pm  #3

QCS wrote:

Looking good so far! Do you have a specific culture/region you based Escalia off of or is it its own thing? The EFL's logo looks good, excited to see the 8 teams.

Escalia's kind of a mixed bag, being based on different regions in the US/Canada while the cities are based on a mix of real life cities. In the world, Escalia was colonized by the British in the West and the Portuguese in the East, and then immigrants came to settle on the newly independent land, with the most coming from the Netherlands, Germany, and most other Eastern European nations at the time

As promised, here is the first team; the Hadley Gatekeepers!

Hadley Gatekeepers

About the City:
Hadley, the provincial capital of Toukier, is conveniently located at the mouth of the Kier River, giving it a key port on the coast and leading inland. Although it’s title of the “Maritime City” has passed onto Ellesby, Hadley has changed its financial sector into retail and other services, as many foreign companies are beginning to set up in Hadley. It’s strategic location is similar to that of New Orleans, but has a more white-collared attitude towards politics, usually clashing with cities like Kierport and Ellesby who share different views.

About the Team:
Merrill’s own team from Hadley had to make it into the league. The Gatekeepers nickname represents how Hadley’s location on the Kier River leads to the interior of the nation. Their unique dual-blue color scheme calls back to Toukier’s province nickname: The Sapphire Coast. Their logo is a medieval-style castle gate forming the shape of an H, representing the city of Hadley. Fitting with their ocean symbolism, they play in the Harbour Coliseum.
EDIT: Changed the thickness of the H on the castle. You can find the original here

Impressions
The Gatekeepers are so far the favorite to win the North. They have options on both sides of the ball, but mostly rely on their pass-heavy offense, favoring it over the traditional run-heavy or balanced scheme most teams in the league use. QB Jack Reuter and WR’s Jimmy Hoek and Lambert Hollman are potent weapons that bring in plenty of points, and to good results, as they have won the last 2 Kieran Cups.
Power Rankings: 2 of 8 (Division Ranking: 1 of 4)

So, what do you think about the Gatekeepers? C&C much appreciated!

Up next: Kierport stands proud with their Knights

Last edited by DireBear (5/27/2020 11:26 pm)

5/27/2020 6:56 pm  #4

Looks good. Btw, what year is this set in?

5/27/2020 7:12 pm  #5

Not bad, Dire!  Not bad at all!  Escalia looks like a pretty big country!  Almost surprised you're only doing 8 teams to start, though that usually is a good starting number of teams.  I love the use of green and blue for national colors, possibly my personal all time favorite color combo for sports teams/leagues!

Really love how good the double blue looks here for the Gatekeepers, (hint, hint Tennessee Titans, THIS is how you can do a double blue uniform right!)!  The castle towers are very creative too!  Keep it up!  This is a great start!

@ Rugrat, I'm assuming the start year is 1960, given the design is listed as being in 1960, though I could be wrong.

5/27/2020 8:12 pm  #6

I like the H-towers, but when I see them on the helmet, the part connecting to make the H is a touch too thin, in my opinion.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/27/2020 8:27 pm  #7

I’ll decide my team after I hear the city descriptions and see the logos.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/27/2020 11:24 pm  #8

Stickman wrote:

Not bad, Dire!  Not bad at all!  Escalia looks like a pretty big country!  Almost surprised you're only doing 8 teams to start, though that usually is a good starting number of teams.  I love the use of green and blue for national colors, possibly my personal all time favorite color combo for sports teams/leagues!

Really love how good the double blue looks here for the Gatekeepers, (hint, hint Tennessee Titans, THIS is how you can do a double blue uniform right!)!  The castle towers are very creative too!  Keep it up!  This is a great start!

@ Rugrat, I'm assuming the start year is 1960, given the design is listed as being in 1960, though I could be wrong.

Thanks Stick! The country is pretty big, from end-to-end its about the distance between Phoenix and Houston. Also, the starting year is in 1960, I'll make that more clear in the introductory post.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I like the H-towers, but when I see them on the helmet, the part connecting to make the H is a touch too thin, in my opinion.

I agree that the line in between was a bit too thin, so I made it a bit thicker. I'll update it in the reveal post:

The next team will be up shortly!

5/27/2020 11:37 pm  #9

Kierport Knights

About the City:
One of the oldest continuous settlements on Escalia, Kierport is the largest and, by its residents, the most patriotic city in the nation. Named after the first person to find this land, William Kier, Kierport’s location along Kier Straight made it a key maritime city in the fledgling nation’s history. Although the maritimes industries have moved to cities such as Hadley and Ellesby, Kierport mostly relies on tourism for its economy, as the historic Old Kier’s Town is the most visited site in all of Escalia, and is the hub city for the flagship airline of the country, EscaliaJet.

About the Team:
When football first came to Escalia, Kierport was the first city to have a professional team. Founded by banker Earl Tozer, he selected the nickname Knights over other names due to Kierport’s importance as a city in Escalia and to represent the people’s pride of the city. The color scheme of black and gold was chosen to signify the value of the city. Their logo is a simple shield with a cross in the middle, though earlier designs had swords crossing behind the shield. Tozer saw the helmets from his booth at their home stadium, Kier Memorial Stadium, and said that he could not see the swords. After this complaint, they were removed. 

Impressions:
Although the Knights don't have any superstars like some other teams, they are considered to a dark horse in their division. On paper they are the second-worse team in the North, but they have 10 games to prove otherwise. With talents such as QB Paul Dane and RB Derrick Acker, they have the potential to shake up their seemingly set-in-stone division.
Power Ranking: 6 of 8 (Division: 3 of 4)

Up next: Crossing the Kier Straight to the Maritime City, Ellesby

C&C Appreciated.

Last edited by DireBear (5/28/2020 1:31 pm)

5/28/2020 12:23 am  #10

I like the update to the Gatekeepers.

The Knights have a really good look. I like the shield, and the thick sleeve stripe not matching the pants stripe is a fun thing, as many teams in that era had some mismatched striping.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

Board footera