Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2020 12:58 pm  #21

Re: AltHL Legacy

ALTHL LEGACY

Our story begins in the 1990 season.  At this time in hockey history there were two premier hockey leagues.  The first was the Canadian Hockey League. The CHL featured 7 Canadian hockey clubs and one American club just south of the border.  The CHL’s rich tradition has permanently etched itself on the culture of Canada. From Halifax to Vancouver the league’s 8 clubs grew the sport of hockey to become the nation’s national past time.  

In the United States laid a land of opportunity.  With big, untapped hockey markets it was only a matter of time before a league stepped in and grew the sport.  That league was the American Hockey Association. Ten franchises from coast to coast brought a foreign sport to American soil.   

These are the stories of both the CHL and the AHA.  We will start in the year 1990, but we can always think about looking further back if we choose.   For years the CHL and AHA have had a rivalry.  They competed over everything including players.  The leagues came to an agreement to have one common draft to fairly sort out new players (think how the MLB used to work before interleague games).   

1990 Season The 1990 Draft (notable picks):
1.Mats Sundin - F - Nacka HK (Sweden) - Montreal Chevaliers
5.Bill Guerin - F - Springfield Olympics (USA) - Minnesota Loons
10.Bobby Holik - F - Dukla Jihlava (Czechoslovakia) - Denver Bighorns
19. Olaf Kolzig - G - Tri City Americans (West Germany) - Seattle Seawolves
22. Adam Foote - D - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (Canada) - Montreal Chevaliers
53. Nicklas Lidstrom - D - VIK Vasteras IK (Sweden) - Toronto Terriers
74. Sergei Fedorov - F - CSKA Moscow (Soviet Union) - Toronto Terriers
196. Arturs Irbe - G - Dinamo Riga (Soviet Union) - Los Angeles Titans
221. Vladimir Konstantinov - D - CSKA Moscow (Soviet Union) - Toronto Terriers

One can’t help but see the tremendous European influence in the 1990 draft.  The Toronto Terriers looked to build their team with Soviet Union players. This was a tremendous gamble because they were not allowed to leave Russia.  The Terriers were banking on their ability to get those players to defect to North America. 

The big story of the offseason was that the CHL was able to get three Russians to defect.  Alexander Moginly arrived to join the Winnipeg Arrows and the Minnesota Loons were able to sign both Vyacheslav Fetisov and Alexei Kasatonov to contracts.   

Sam St. Laurent of the Toronto Terriers was the last person to wear a fiberglass goalie mask in professional hockey.

The CHL's leading scorers were: 
Wayne Gretzky (QUE) - 142 points
Steve Yzerman (TOR) - 127 points

​The biggest trade of the season was when the Chevs sent long time captain Peter Stastny to Minnesota.

The AHA's leading scorers were:
Mark Messier (POR) - 129 points
Mario Lemieux (CHA) - 123 points
Brett Hull (BOS) - 113 points

Tomorrow we will have the playoffs.  For both league's four teams make the playoffs.  In the CHL the top four teams in the standings make the tournament.  In the AHA the two division winners earn the top two seeds, the third and fourth seeds go to the two best remaining teams.

The CHL plays for the Canadian Shield.  The Canadian Shield is named after the geological core of North America.  The trophy is made of silver and is in the shape of a shield.  Gritty offered the shield to the CHL as it's premier trophy.  The AHA plays for the Adams Cup.  Charles Francis Adams was responsible for originally bringing professional hockey to America.  

The 1990 Canadian Shield Playoffs
#1 Winnipeg Arrows versus #4 Minnesota Loons
#2 Halifax Kingfishers versus #3 Calgary Wranglers

The 1990 Adams Cup Playoffs
#1 New York Gargoyles versus #4 Denver Bighorns
#2 San Francisco Dragons versus #3 Portland Sawblades

Last edited by Gritty (4/08/2020 12:59 pm)

4/08/2020 1:30 pm  #22

Alright! 1st place!
Already starting off with one hell of a playoff series, Arrows VS. Loons, here we go.

Also, just wanting to clarify, I understand we will have players from 1990-2010, but aren't the years for the AltHL starting in 2000 and going up until the 2020 season for us? I just thought this season would be our 2000 season with 1990 NHL players. 

4/08/2020 1:33 pm  #23

1990 wasn’t our year, but at least we have the possibility of the Russian 5 coming to Toronto in the near future!

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/08/2020 1:34 pm  #24

True I'll adjust it starting tomorrow.  Thanks!

4/08/2020 1:41 pm  #25

I haven't gotten the chance to look much into the Bruins history much, but i'll take those 46 wins! Most out of any team!

4/08/2020 2:22 pm  #26

Gritty wrote:

What?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/08/2020 2:49 pm  #27

ThisIsFine wrote:

Gritty wrote:

What?

Sorry replying to the way that I dated the season.  We technically started in the year 2000.  I'll make that clearer tomorrow.  

4/08/2020 3:25 pm  #28

I think that the graphics were a little confusing, I think if they were put in order of standings it would help a lot.

Bring it on Winnipeg

4/08/2020 6:52 pm  #29

Section30 wrote:

I think that the graphics were a little confusing, I think if they were put in order of standings it would help a lot.

Bring it on Winnipeg

Well, I can't tell if le hiboux ever make it into the playoffs until I read further.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

4/08/2020 7:01 pm  #30

Section30 wrote:

Bring it on Winnipeg

I'd also add a points column since that is what's used to determine standings. I couldn't make hide nor tails out of that standings graphic.

I was also unsure what year this was supposed to be so I'm glad that cleared up. Edit: Actually, I'm still confused. lol

Let's go Kingfishers!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera